VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Sleepy, thank you for all your extensive reporting. You're making me hungry, anxious to see more videos/pictures of the cabins, and generally super antsy to get back to the lodge! I'm not sure waiting until next May is going to cut it....

I think the trade off for the North cabins may be watching the fireworks from the cabin deck - at least the higher shots from the ones furthest down the path. And 2 BBQs AND picnic tables to sit at while you eat what you bbq'd.

The boat horns have always been a favorite element of staying at VWL for me in the past, but I'm not sure I'd want them in my ear as they approach and leave the dock. Cabin 8012 may need to come with ear plugs for those who plan on sleeping in.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I assume from your dates that you will be going to the Moonlight Magic on Dec. 4th. Best of luck with getting reservations. I have been doing a bit of research for the last few days and I THINK WE (DVC members with an already confirmed reservation) will get an e-mail from DVC apx 60 days prior to the event. We will have one week to make reservations before the booking window opens to all DVC members. Of course if I receive any communication from DVC about Moonlight Magic, I will post info. here.

Do you happen to know the other December date(s)? I didn't think the dates were announced yet. I hope to attend in December, but the 4th is prior to our arrival. We did receive an email a few weeks ago for the September event @AK, so hopefully they'll do the same in October.

Do you happen to know the other December date(s)? I didn't think the dates were announced yet. I hope to attend in December, but the 4th is prior to our arrival. We did receive an email a few weeks ago for the September event @AK, so hopefully they'll do the same in October.

The dates are hidden on the DVC page, (need to click the Read More link under Details section)

"Dates: Monday, December 4, 2017; and Monday, December 11, 2017"
- taken from https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-events/moonlight-magic-epcot/

Well, we are officially booked to return to VWL for March 26th - April 2nd, Studio for 8 nights. And, while it will be brutally crowded I have to remind myself that lately it's always busy anyways and us professionals know how to make the best of it anyhow. I anticipate some rope drops, some late nights to get stuff in along with much time at the lodge from noon to 5 for poolside relaxation. I'll probably be the one tossing towels from "saved" loungers...
Anyways, after 2 years in a row of VGC I am really looking forward to returning home.8-)

Happy 4th to all!

Day 3, the second half: We didn't do much after leaving the Lodge because the crowds, heat, and humidity are oppressive. We wound up at Disney Springs for dinner at Art Smith's Homecoming. While many have raved about it, we found it solid but not a future must-do. Luv's shrimp salad was tasty enough, but the greens weren't crisp and the shrimp were bland. The basket of fries were also decent, but not any better than you can get at Wendy's and a sight more expensive. My fried chicken was good but I wasn't overly fond of the sweet tinge to the batter, and the gravy over the mashed potatoes was heavy-handed (bacon wasn't necessary) and clotted. Finally, the deviled eggs were lovely but not piquant enough--needed more mustard or the snap of relish. Good overall? Yes. Memorable? Not really. I bought a dark chocolate Sprinkles cupcake for later, and it was very good though hard to justify the $4.95.

Day 4 (today): We started by hitting AK for our FPs at the Avatar ride and EE (with a side trip to ITTBAB). We also had breakfast at Satu'li Canteen--sliced beef with a chimichurri sauce and an egg frittata, more of a muffin, actually. It was a good meal, and we made use of the preordering which worked well. The real important note is our experience at Flight of the Avatar (or whatever it's called). EX-CEL-LENT! It's a cross between Soarin', RnR, and Star Tours. The pre-ride extravaganza is a little long. I'm guessing 10 minutes from the time you step on the number which selects your avatar. Way too long. However, the payoff is tremendous, I will say that.

We dined at Yak & Yeti for lunch, and it was fine. We've eaten there before and enjoyed it; however, it was crowded today so our wait was 20 minutes despite our ADR. After lunch, we headed back to SSR where I opted to hit the LBV Golf Course. It was a bit of a splurge, but I've never golfed at Disney, and I had a free three hours before getting ready for dinner. Only got in 7 holes before the rains hit, though once I waited out a storm for half an hour, I got in 6 more holes. They prorated my fee, so now I have a $20 gift card to use at the pro shop or next time I golf. :thumbsup2

Finally, we discovered a new restaurant today: Bice (pronounced BEE-chay). It's at the Portofino Bay Hotel at the Dark Side, and I gotta say, it was a stunner. We love Il Mulino, but Bice was better. Service was superb, the ambiance excellent, and the food divine. Luv couldn't decide between two pastas, so they brought out small plates of both (and only charged the average between the two). I had the osso buco and it was perhaps the best I've had, right down to the marrow in the bone that came with a small relish fork. So. Amazingly. Good. The tiramisu? Creamy and not overly heavy on the espresso. We will be going back on our next trip!

We've decided to call it a night and not try to fight the crowds over the fireworks. So, 'til tomorrow! Thanks for the early anniversary wishes!

Last edited:
Happy Anniversary Sleepy & Luv!!! Enjoy your day!
Mickey---Minnie-disney-67760_800_600.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter