• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Oh, wait...Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'....I got it...holy smokes, I need to lose 5 lbs before I go to this place based on the menu..sure looks tasty though...

Jimmy - Glad to hear of your DML's good news; there is always comfort in knowing what is going on so decisions can be made in the right direction.

Thanks all for the conversation about Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' Restaurant. I visited the website, read the menu, and for the life of me I just could not figure out the "HFK" designation on a number of the sauces and presentation descriptions. I looked all around the site, trying to find some indication of how "Homecomin" fit into the acronym. It's probably there, but the longer I look for anything, the more of a mental block I can get when searching for something (DiznyDi would call it my Pantry Deficiency). I had to Google it, of course. Yeah, OK, it works, but it just didn't instantly click for me when first confronted with it. It also has to do with what Granny was insinuating about visiting MGM and eating at Downtown Disney. It's a good thing I have DiznyDi to lead me around . . . .

Oh, wait...Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'....I got it...holy smokes, I need to lose 5 lbs before I go to this place based on the menu..sure looks tasty though...

You can absolutely share meals here & I'd recommend it unless you have a very big appetite. The portions are very large. The fried chicken & donuts. Oh my. :eek: If you liked deviled eggs theirs might just be the best I've ever had.

I was able to get us an ADR for Morimoto's in Jan. :woohoo: Looking forward to trying it then if I don't make it in there sooner. Two trips before then. :D

Thanks all for the dining suggestions! Based on the recommendations it seems that Disney Springs has usurped Epcot in the dining arena. Now, since I like Splitsville & Bongo's I am going to be logging some quality time there I suspect...

Thanks all for the conversation about Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' Restaurant. I visited the website, read the menu, and for the life of me I just could not figure out the "HFK" designation on a number of the sauces and presentation descriptions. I looked all around the site, trying to find some indication of how "Homecomin" fit into the acronym. It's probably there, but the longer I look for anything, the more of a mental block I can get when searching for something (DiznyDi would call it my Pantry Deficiency). I had to Google it, of course.

I agree that HFK wasn't an obvious acronym. I did that Googly thingy too and found what you did, that it stands for "Homecoming Florida Kitchen" which I guess is part of the formal name or tagline of the restaurant???

Apparently the full name and tagline of the restaurant is "Chef Art Smith's Homecoming: Florida Kitchen. Southern Shine". I can tell you from a branding perspective, it's not good when your brand has several different names and spellings. The final "g" in "Homecoming" seems to come and go. :confused3

homecoming-florida-kitchen-and-southern-shine-is-one-of-the-newest-disney-springs-restaurants-photo-by-barb-nefer_793341.jpg

Did the VWL get a remodel before they started work on the CCV portion of the lodge? If so, are there any new pictures of the 2 bedroom villas? We are considering buying DVC at VWL and wanted to see what the rooms looked like. Thanks for the help.

Did the VWL get a remodel before they started work on the CCV portion of the lodge? If so, are there any new pictures of the 2 bedroom villas? We are considering buying DVC at VWL and wanted to see what the rooms looked like. Thanks for the help.
VWL was remodeled 3+ years ago, and it was basically just a lightening of the interior, an update to stainless steel in the kitchen, new Pergo wood flooring, and a move to more ubiquitous and bland furniture and furnishings. I, for one, preferred the old look; then again, I'm often called a stick in the mud. pirate: We were in a 1BR back in May, and these photos will at least give you an idea of the makeover since we had max Moosie dust and got one of the highly coveted, large, near-the-elevator, corner units with vaulted ceiling in the bedroom. Loved it!

WL2BR.jpg

WL2BR2.jpg

WL2BR3.jpg

I think Luv took more, but I don't have those. It was a lovely room, and the pics should at least give you an idea of what to expect.

Eeekkkkk! 2 days and I'll be on a plane heading to Food and Wine. Soooooooo much to do and so little time!!!

Have a great trip Kathy! Let us (me!) know what you try at the festival that you like.

VWL was remodeled 3+ years ago, and it was basically just a lightening of the interior, an update to stainless steel in the kitchen, new Pergo wood flooring, and a move to more ubiquitous and bland furniture and furnishings. I, for one, preferred the old look; then again, I'm often called a stick in the mud. pirate: We were in a 1BR back in May, and these photos will at least give you an idea of the makeover since we had max Moosie dust and got one of the highly coveted, large, near-the-elevator, corner units with vaulted ceiling in the bedroom. Loved it!

WL2BR.jpg

WL2BR2.jpg

WL2BR3.jpg

I think Luv took more, but I don't have those. It was a lovely room, and the pics should at least give you an idea of what to expect.

I love those corner rooms. Rare to get them but nice when you do.

Another stick in the mud here too. I miss the old green spatterware dishes and the various leaves that were stenciled around the room. Ahh just days gone by....

Sleepy - we've had that room only once for our mothers/daughters trip. Poor DDad didn't even get to enjoy it. Love that room!

Have a great trip Kathy!

Good news about your MIL, JT! An accessed tooth - who would have thought?! Continued prayers for a full recovery.

Another stick in the mud here too. I miss the old green spatterware dishes and the various leaves that were stenciled around the room. Ahh just days gone by....

Sleepy - we've had that room only once for our mothers/daughters trip. Poor DDad didn't even get to enjoy it. Love that room!

Have a great trip Kathy!

Good news about your MIL, JT! An accessed tooth - who would have thought?! Continued prayers for a full recovery.
Who knew there were so many Sticks in the Mud? Perhaps a secondary thread called "I Don't Wanna Change: SIMs Unite!" would be appropriate?

I've had a corner room twice. The first was over a decade ago, and it was a 2BR on the lakeside. So much room! Of course, the second was the 1BR in May, and though it was on the bus stop side of VWL, the views were quite lovely. It was pretty much all trees and VWL building itself, but that's not a bad thing. I'd love to have either one again in a heartbeat!

We had that 2 bed on the corner facing the pool once on the 2nd floor. Loved it!! One of my all time favorite stays that stands out in memory was that time. Would love to get that room again someday!!

Sadly we had to make the decision to cancel our upcoming Oct trip. Though my MIL is out of ICU, it will be a long process of recovery to get her back to where she needs to be and Tammy being her only caregiver, well, it is what it is. Main thing is, she is getting better, and thats what matters. WDW will still be there if we are here. All the more reason to start counting days till Dec trip! DVC was very gracious in helping us get pts. back in system and as a courtesy didn't place them in holding acct. under circumstances

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter