• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Just got back to our villa after experiencing the Keys to the Kingdom tour...what a fun experience! It was a lot of interesting information, and our guide Alex was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Lots of fun information, though I was aware of much of it. Still, I'd recommend this tour to anyone..it is eligible for the DVC (and AP I think) discount and includes lunch. A lot of fun for our 5 hour tour! :)
We did the KTTK tour a number of years ago, and it was a lot of fun.

Hi! Would anyone be interested in a VWL Groupies meet-up November 28-December 8, 2019? We have a few down-days and would love to say hello! No pressure! Maybe just a quick hello or drink at Geyser Point?
Are you leaving December 8? I have plans to head to TOTWL to see fireworks that day. My friends and I arrive on the 7th...AKV. VWL 10 to 14

I have a new Fall tradition now. Last year I discovered Sam’s Club ( of which my Dear wife has been a member for years) sells discounted Disney Gift Cards. Here on the DIS, I picked up the tip that I can use discounted gift cards to pay my DVC annual dues. So for several weeks already, I have been opening gift cards, peeling off the stickers and entering, transferring balances and deleting gift cards in my Disney Gift Card account. Unfortunately, Sam’s best discounts are on $25 and $50 gift cards and there’s a limit on how many cards can be purchased at one time. Every week, when I receive the cards I process them and order more. So far I’ve processed about $1500 worth of cards. Only $2000 to go. :surfweb:

I wonder if any other Groupies are sharing in my fun?

Dan...it makes me Crabby just thinking about doing this! :)

In our market the best deal on Disney gift cards from Sam's is on the higher denomination cards. I think the $500 is the best deal and it is still only about $17 discount (a little over 3%). Still, for our dues we would save about $150 if I did this. I heard about the Disney Gift Card account and managing it so you can use the gift cards to pay dues. I may give it a try this year.

Another method is to use the Target Red Card to buy DIsney Gift Cards. That gets you the standard 5% discount for using the Red Card which is a little better than Sam's discount rate. That would kick my savings up to $250, so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Keep having fun, Crabby! :)

Back on dry land after the 8 night Fantasy cruise
Sitting at MCO waiting to leave
Cruise was great and we got to see the new Frozen show which IMO is the best show I have seen on a cruise so far

Granny, we too had the issue of trying to find our room at the Grandstand. We walked right past our building which ended up being located the closest to the pool. We made it as far as possible to travel until we realized where we truly were supposed to be.

I love the amenities at SSRand especially like the Turf Club
We like the snacks there and Animators Pallete is just around the corner where you can mobile order and not spend time waiting on your order
Caprese pizza is a good one there

PeterPan
Welcome to the groupies!!
We are going to be in WDW at Pop Dec 2-6 then VWL 7-14
We could probably plan a meet
Bobbiwoz will be there around same time as well so let’s see what we can make happen!

I love the amenities at SSRand especially like the Turf Club
We like the snacks there and Animators Pallete is just around the corner where you can mobile order and not spend time waiting on your order
Caprese pizza is a good one there

Jimmy...thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like you and your family had another great vacation together!

I took your advice and got a Caprese flatbread tonight...very tasty! We haven't used the mobile ordering since I don't know how to apply my TIW card and get the discount on orders. I'm sure it's very simple but it's hard to figure these things out when there are no Groupies helping me out! :)

Last edited:
Dan...it makes me Crabby just thinking about doing this! :)

In our market the best deal on Disney gift cards from Sam's is on the higher denomination cards. I think the $500 is the best deal and it is still only about $17 discount (a little over 3%). Still, for our dues we would save about $150 if I did this. I heard about the Disney Gift Card account and managing it so you can use the gift cards to pay dues. I may give it a try this year.

Another method is to use the Target Red Card to buy DIsney Gift Cards. That gets you the standard 5% discount for using the Red Card which is a little better than Sam's discount rate. That would kick my savings up to $250, so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Keep having fun, Crabby! :)
We buy ours from BJs. Its a better deal to buy them in $100 increments since you save $4.99 per card.

We buy ours from BJs. Its a better deal to buy them in $100 increments since you save $4.99 per card.
We are getting a new BJs in our neighborhood in the near future. I’ve put the DW on notice that I’ve heard good things and I may want to check them out. I’ve never been a big fan of SAMS. No particular reason, actually, just a preference thing and it’s a 25 -30 minute drive when the traffic is light. Not to mention the place is insane on weekends.

Sleepy, you got it, Its hump day!!

We already knew the answer to the below article but its worth a read all the same:cool2:

The best Disney World hotels, ranked
Valerie Marino, CNN • Updated 27th February 2019
Lake Buena Vista, Florida (CNN) — One of the first decisions you make when planning a trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, can also be one of the most overwhelming: Where to stay?
With more than two dozen Disney owned-and-operated resorts on property, there's something for every family and every budget, from character-obsessed kids to adults wanting a little luxury.

Deluxe

17 best disney world hotels_contemporary-resort

For better views and less noise, opt for a higher floor room at the Contemporary Resort.
Disney
#7 Disney's Contemporary Resort
The Contemporary, one of Disney World's original hotels, boasts one amenity that no other can — and we're not even referring to the monorail that stops inside the main atrium.
It's the only place where you can access the Magic Kingdom on foot, which is clutch at the end of the night when you just can't wait in one more line to board the monorail.
The views from this mid-century modern-themed resort are also like no other.
Try to reserve a park-side room for panoramic views of the Magic Kingdom and its nightly fireworks show, or if you're staying elsewhere, it's worth it to book a dinner reservation at the California Grill on the hotel's top floor, where the show's soundtrack is piped onto the viewing balcony for extra effect.
The monorail station and open design of the main concourse give a slightly chaotic feel to this resort, which drops it in our rankings, but fortunately that noise doesn't carry to the guest rooms above.
Contemporary Resort, 4600 North World Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-824-1000
24 best disney world hotels_grand-floridian-resort-and-spa

The Grand Floridian is one of the only on-site hotels with a spa.
Disney
#6 Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
As Disney World's flagship resort, the Grand Floridian makes an impression from the moment you approach.
Guests are welcomed by the scents of green clover and aloe as they enter the expansive, Victorian-inspired lobby where, in the evenings, a jazz ensemble plays from the balcony.
The Grand Floridian features amenities unlike any other Disney World resort, from the 52-foot yacht available for hourly rentals on Bay Lake to Victoria & Albert's, the only restaurant in Central Florida with a five-diamond rating from AAA.
Just one monorail stop from the Magic Kingdom, the perks at the Grand Floridian come at a cost — the highest standard room rates at Disney World.
Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, 4401 Floridian Way, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-824-3000
13 best disney world hotels_board-walk-inn

Beloved NYC ice cream shop Ample Hills Creamery has an outpost at the boardwalk.
Disney
#5 Disney's BoardWalk Inn
One of Disney's more adult-oriented resorts, the BoardWalk Inn and the adjacent BoardWalk dining and entertainment strip are modeled after a turn-of-the-century Atlantic City.
The theme is well executed, though its charm is often a little creepy — particularly the clown-shaped water slide and the nanny chairs with their toothy grins placed throughout the common areas.
BoardWalk Inn's best feature is its location, just steps from Epcot and a short jog to Hollywood Studios.
The BoardWalk promenade is home to the resort's dining. But the strip can be a long walk from many guestrooms, and it tends to be crowded with locals and other park visitors at night and on weekends.
BoardWalk Inn, 2101 North Epcot Resorts Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830; 407-939-6200
#4 Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
One of the priciest hotels at Walt Disney World, the Polynesian Village Resort sits on the shore of Seven Seas Lagoon, just two stops from the Magic Kingdom on Disney's monorail line.
Guests are welcomed with a flower lei and a warm "aloha" at this heavily-themed resort, where the design reflects a 1970s vision of tiki culture through vibrant, kitschy decor.
The resort's dining options are one of its strongest points, from the poolside Pineapple Lanai where you can grab a classic Dole Whip soft serve to Kona Cafe, where the Tonga Toast is a must at breakfast. (This banana-stuffed French toast served with strawberry compote is also available from room service.)
Nowhere is the tiki vibe more present than at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto, a cozy hideaway with strong drinks, lively servers and a carousel of coveted souvenir drinkware.
Polynesian Village Resort, 1600 Seven Seas Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-824-2000
08 best disney world hotels_animal-kingdom-lodge

If you can't afford a room at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and still want to meet the giraffes, book in for breakfast.
Disney
#3 Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Animal Kingdom Lodge sets itself apart as the only place where you can wake up to giraffes and wildebeests grazing outside your balcony. The hotel lobby and adjacent patio wrap around the 46-acre savanna, so even guests who don't pay the $150 per night premium can enjoy the view.
Disney's Imagineers visited nearly two dozen African lodges to inspire their design for the resort, which features more than 380 pieces of African art in its public spaces and 4,000 more throughout the guest rooms.
Adult visitors will enjoy sampling the menu at Jiko, which blends traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine, and features the largest South African wine list in the United States.
A notable downside is the lack of transportation alternatives — unlike other deluxe resorts that offer boat or monorail service, the only option here is Disney's bus service — but its charm and relatively low cost compensate for that drawback.
Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2901 Osceola Parkway, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-938-3000
It's the most magical place on earth -- but Disney World's best tricks are really just stagecraft. Frank Pallotta takes you inside the places that keep the park running like magic.
#2 Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resort
These connected resorts share many amenities, including Stormalong Bay, a three-acre water park with a sand-bottom pool, lazy river, and a 230-foot-long water slide that make it unequivocally the best resort pool on the vast property.
On-site dining includes the Beaches & Cream Soda Shop, home of the famed Kitchen-Sink Sundae. The resorts are across the lake from Disney's BoardWalk, meaning you get proximity to its dining and entertainment without the bustle of the crowds.
When you're ready to hit the theme parks, the Yacht and Beach clubs are a quick walk to Epcot or a boat ride from Hollywood Studios, with bus service to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.
Beach Club Resort, 1800 Epcot Resorts Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-934-8000
Yacht Club Resort, 1700 Epcot Resorts Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-934-7000
33 best disney world hotels_wilderness-lodge-resort

The Wilderness Lodge design was inspired by the US' National Parks system.
Disney
#1 Disney's Wilderness Lodge
At Wilderness Lodge, guests have the benefit of being just across the bay from the Magic Kingdom, but in a secluded environment that feels far removed from it all.
Surrounded by tall pines, the hotel's design brings the feel of the lodges of U.S. National Parks to Central Florida with its soaring, log-framed lobby, 82-foot-tall stone fireplace and a pair of 55-foot intricately carved totem poles.
The most affordable of Disney World's deluxe resorts, Wilderness Lodge's rooms are furnished with carved wood headboards and Native American-inspired textiles. Many have balconies featuring views of man-made geysers, waterfalls or Bay Lake.
But the hotel's best feature may be the boat from its dock to the Magic Kingdom with no stops in between, making the typically tiresome exodus from the park feel downright leisurely at the end of the night.
Wilderness Lodge, 901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830; 407-824-3200

Obviously, the reporter has good tastes! That being said, not all the headboards are carved, and the "Native American-inspired textiles" comment is a bit misleading, too. Still, it's good to be ranked so highly.

Although DiznyDi & I have other home resorts, we really miss the thrill of the stay when using other resorts. When staying at one of the other resorts, we ALWAYS visit The Lodge. It doesn't feel the same as the feel of "Being Home" after a park day, but we need to rest at least once during our stay in The World in the ambiance that only The Lodge can bring. Nothin' in The World can match sitting in the big rockers in the Carolwood Pacific Room for even just a few moments.

I am having a bad case of Disneyitis right now. We didn't stay at our beloved lodge our last trip. We did BWV - which is VERY nice - but I am miss our home - missing Disney period.

Just sent a text to Ian asking when we can take another "just us" aka no offspring trip. Crossing my fingers he says December 2020 - but not really counting on it. There are too many things he/we want to take care of and fix in our home. Who knows - maybe the Moose will sprinkle me with dust and he will agree. Cross your fingers for me??

I am having a bad case of Disneyitis right now. We didn't stay at our beloved lodge our last trip. We did BWV - which is VERY nice - but I am miss our home - missing Disney period.

Just sent a text to Ian asking when we can take another "just us" aka no offspring trip. Crossing my fingers he says December 2020 - but not really counting on it. There are too many things he/we want to take care of and fix in our home. Who knows - maybe the Moose will sprinkle me with dust and he will agree. Cross your fingers for me??
pixiedust:

One Moose Dust Dance coming up!

Moose Dance.gif

Made it back home tonight to a chilly St. Louis...which represents a 50 degree drop in temperature from the very hot Orlando we left behind.

We had a very nice trip...leisurely with just enough activity thrown in to qualify as tourists. :)

The really hot temperatures were a bummer....the CM's told us that Orlando set a record for the number of days in October with a high over 90 degrees...I think it is right around 20 days that qualified as of today. It was a full 15 degrees warmer than the usual mid-70's that we've seen in Octobers. But still a very nice trip that will have to hold us until next Spring.

Looking forward to reading the Groupie's trip recaps for the next couple of months. And now, we are gearing up for the Christmas season! 🎄

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter