VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Going through WL images both I and my DIL took on our recent trip and I noticed one which may or may not have a fellow groupie in it:
Hmmm Is he there, or did he move on?
I think I was standing just behind the pole near the fellow in the scooter on opposite side. I remember him being just infant of me. I had my Grandson in my arms
Im sorry I missed you this trip twinkle. I missed Bobbiwoz too. I had all good intents to catch up with all you folks but once our 2 yr old GS rolled into town it was non stop keep up for us older folks and that's not a trip Im used to anymore :tilt:

View attachment 459220

Seems pretty typical. DiznyDi has stuff laid out a week ahead in the spare bedroom getting ready to pack for the trip. I gather and pack the night before. Maybe it is a testosterone thing . . . :confused3

You're not totally wrong. I still dream of the days when I could travel with just a carry on and tote. Almost did it this last trip, and then my son messaged me to pack and bring his full sized shampoo which he forgot to bring down. Sigh. It was nice to have the extra bag to bring home those extra Christmas gifts that were requested.

As a mom I feel it's part of the lifestyle to lay it all out ahead of time and be prepared.

. . . . . . . . . I still dream of the days when I could travel with just a carry on and tote. . . . . . . . . . As a mom I feel it's part of the lifestyle to lay it all out ahead of time and be prepared. . . .

That is one reason we love our Owner's Lockers; we pack clothing and few other seasonal requirements, but all toiletries, umbrellas, tools, cords, glasses, a Keurig (yes, a necessity), and other such stuff are already there at the Lodge just waiting to be let out of the box!

And I agree that Mom's always save the day, no matter how old a son or daughter gets! :thumbsup2

Been "home" for 36 hours now, and here are a few thoughts about not only the Lodge but entire Disney experience thus far. . .

Good
- Lobby and entire Lodge lovely as usual
- The gingerbread house is a superb addition
- The smells and music
- Overall CM experience has been pleasant

Not so good
- Not all CMs are put in a position to succeed, particularly servers and bell services
- Disney transportation
- Weather
- General room condition

More to follow when we return from our trip!

Got a question:
We booked 3 nights as an add on at SSR for March before our move over to BLT

The only thing available was preferred category which is The Springs and Congress Park

We like the Grandstand area as it’s a bit removed from the hustle/bustle of the main area. Don’t get me wrong, we love the front area as we enjoy Artist Pallete, the Turf Bar(me and Casey enjoy a spirited game of pool, geez, only takes us an hour to clear the boards=1game😂you think we would be better than that as a great uncle of mine was a pool shark and bested Willie Masconi and Minnesota Fats in their hay days, missed our gene pool I guess)
and proximity to boat to DS

So...my question is, preference of those who have stayed in the 2 preferred areas and why?

Going to put in requests for rooms so hoping for some feedback😊

Been "home" for 36 hours now, and here are a few thoughts about not only the Lodge but entire Disney experience thus far. . .

More to follow when we return from our trip!

Sleepy...looking forward to hearing more about your impressions of your latest stay.

So...my question is, preference of those who have stayed in the 2 preferred areas and why?

Going to put in requests for rooms so hoping for some feedback

Jimmy...my personal preference would be to stay in Congress Park. It makes for a really easy walk over to Disney Springs, it is pretty quiet, and generally has some pretty nice views of the water and Disney Springs. Since you kind of like being away from the hustle and bustle, you might prefer it to the Springs...though in fairness I don't think that the Springs villas are right on top of the pool and general public areas where they would be affected by the noise.

On the flip side, the nice part about the Springs is the easy access to Artist's Palette food/groceries.

Unless proximity to the main pool or dining options is important, I think you might enjoy Congress Park a little more. But you can't go too far wrong with either. :)

JT, we vote for CP, as well. As Granny says, Congress Park is largely quiet and offers relatively quick access to Disney Springs. I don't know the current progress at SSR, but I believe most, if not all, the rooms at CP have been refurbished which might make a difference, as well.

TRIP UPDATE: Without going into too much detail, we've had an enjoyable trip. Our most fun has come when we relax and soak in the ambiance. The parks? Meh. There seem to be fewer CMs overall, and many of them have been assigned very menial jobs or have overkill in a particular area. I'll pick on SWGE. There are no less than 4 CMs standing around holding a sign that says, "Keep Right," supposedly to help with traffic flow. First, people ignore them and the CMs don't make an attempt to stop them. Second, the foot traffic there while very busy, isn't substantially helped by the signs. On the "too many CMs" issue, when you do finally enter the Rise of the Resistance queue at your required boarding time, there were no less than a dozen CMs standing around to check you in, but the boarding groups aren't huge, and 4-5 CMs are all that are needed. Meantime, at other parks (though most noticeable at DHS), there are literally scores of CMs merely standing around watching people, I suppose for crowd control; however, the crowds haven't been monstrous (except at SWGE, perhaps), so you have CMs who are basically holding up lamp posts. It's just been an odd revelation.
FOOD: We've had only a single TS meal and that was breakfast at The Wave. Food at the lounges--our primary focus this trip it appears pirate:--has been of slightly better quality than we remember most TS food. Further, ordering off the lounge menu offers solid portions for smaller prices which is easier on the pocketbook. For example, we ate at Nomad Lounge the other evening. I had the bread service which, while not as good as Sanaa, was still quite tasty and filling. Luv had a braised beef bowl that was excellent (if a bit milder than we appreciate). We each had 2 glasses of wine, and with our TIW card, we got out of there for under $80. The Wave was fine, and it's a bargain for Disney. We've also eaten at TL (ahh, the smoked mushroom bisque), the QS at Riviera, and the ABC Commissary, and Jock Lindsey's Bar among others. Again, the quality seems better and the prices make them seem like a veritable bargain. We're not huge eaters, so we can order small items and alcohol and feel full for roughly 2/3 of the price of a TS.
AMBIANCE: This is my title for the overall feel of the resorts and parks. I will try to temper my remarks by saying it IS Christmas week, so it's going to be crowded. Only, it hasn't been unmanageable. It has been loud. In particular, and it pains me to say this, but the lobby of the main Lodge, in general, and Territory Lounge, in particular, are hugely noisy. . .especially once AP begins ramping up for dinner. The new gingerbread cabin is unique and a lovely addition, but choose the wrong time to see it, and it's swarming with people. Worse, as I feared, TL has become the unofficial family waiting area for those with AP Storybook reservations. We've been there twice--once at 4 and the second time around 8--and both times the Lounge was less than relaxing. It's no longer an adult area where you can relax and share a drink and some food in a laid back manner. It's full of families with all ages of kids waiting to get into AP. They pull together 2-3 tables, grab extra chairs, and are full of excitement to get to AP. I can no longer recommend TL as a quiet spot. . .at all. That aside, the VWL lobby and fireplaces are still, thankfully, quiet.
ROOM: KAT would be proud! We requested high floor and lake side/pool view. We got 4th floor and the woods' side dumpster view. Well, it's not the dumpster but the drive for the dumpster and the linen collection/retrieval area. Room 4562. It's the very last room on the even side of the 4th floor. Now, we haven't been in the room except at night or quick stops in the afternoons, so no real issue. But, it ain't a good location. Further, it's dark in here. Anyone who hadn't stayed in VWL before and got this room, I would understand why they didn't like it. There are two small bed lamps on the headboard, one floor lamp, and light fixture over the TV, and they all have low output bulbs. One corner of the room is in near total darkness even with the lights on. And VWL has always been notorious for low lighting in the bathrooms. It's worse in here it seems. The furniture is looking a bit worn, especially the couch (there is no chair) which was cheap to begin with (last refurb) and looks akin to something you'd pay $30 for at a garage sale. It's by far the worst room we've ever had at WL, though we at least ARE at the best place to be for the holidays.
WEATHER: Disney has no control here, no pull or leverage. ;) So, we've been dodging rain, especially yesterday, and temps have been in the low 70s and 60s with not much sun.Yesterday was the first day we needed ponchos, but we gave up on the parade and party last night as the rain kept coming in waves, and we'd put in a full day before the party at MK due to Rise of the Resistance (more on that later).

On the whole, we've enjoyed our times away from the parks more than our time in the parks. The former is relaxing and festive and full of the dreams we remember. The latter is getting less patron friendly and noisier and more expensive. Cheapest t-shirt? $29.99 Pullover? $45.99 Some light jackets and hoodies run close to $80. DHS is now a full-day park. . .if you only do Rise of the Resistance. Otherwise, it's not even a half day park since you can't get hardly any FPs anymore, and the standby wait times are insane. We got over to DHS at 7:07 yesterday and got Boarding #93. Wait times for standby for RnR, HM, TSM, and Slinky Dog were 50, 45, 70, and 100, respectively by 7:15, and they got worse within a half hour. You can do very little at DHS anymore due to the inability to FP more than maybe one thing. As a result, DHS felt like one giant waiting room--literally people are sitting and standing everywhere, mostly waiting to get into Rise or their lone FP or restaurant of choice. The walkways are actually quite manageable because everyone is sitting and waiting. It was an odd phenomenon. And one I expect we'll see at other parks as new rides are built.

Hopefully, this post didn't seem to long or negative, as neither was my intent. I just tend to be honest in my evaluations and expectations. I have more to report on and discuss later, but for now, it's time to pack up our suitcases, get Starbucks, and get out of dodge to head for Port Canaveral and the Dream! Merry Christmas, Groupies!

Tom and I really like CP section of SSR. I love the fact that even the pool has a terrific view of Disney Springs. I’ve even walked to DS using the path.

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays everyone! The lodge is one of my favorite places to be at Christmas. I added on vWL after seeing pictures of the lodge decorated for Christmas one year. I fell instantly in love and bought it without ever stepping foot inside of it. To make sure I was doing the right thing, I came here and asked this group if I was making the right decision, and surprise, surprise, everyone here thought it was a GREAT idea. I cannot say that I regretted the decision.

Unfortunately I will not be there this Christmas but with my family all home, Christmas in the land of ice and snow is wonderful, albeit cold!

My next trip to the lodge will be in February. We will be there for just short of 2 weeks. This will be my first stay there since Copper Creek opened. We have visited and walked around the resort, just not stayed. I am very much looking forward to being back. Both vWL and this group feel like home, even though I have not been at either much in the last few years.

This coming year will bring many changes for us. My DH has been retired for a couple of years, and I will be retiring in April. That will give us much more freedom for travel. We will be on a budget, but with more time we can drive to Disney (a short 23 hour drive) and visit more frequently. I am very much looking forward to this.

Wishing everyone and their families and healthy and Happy New Year!

Hopefully, this post didn't seem to long or negative, as neither was my intent. I just tend to be honest in my evaluations and expectations. I have more to report on and discuss later, but for now, it's time to pack up our suitcases, get Starbucks, and get out of dodge to head for Port Canaveral and the Dream! Merry Christmas, Groupies!

Sleepy...we always appreciate candor and honest opinions here. In watching the "Imagineers" series, it is interesting to see how Disney swings back and forth between frugality and creativity in their parks. It is really interesting to hear about the glut of CMs in one area and the scarcity in another. I always thought Disney did a pretty good job staffing to the expected crowds.

This coming year will bring many changes for us. My DH has been retired for a couple of years, and I will be retiring in April. That will give us much more freedom for travel. We will be on a budget, but with more time we can drive to Disney (a short 23 hour drive) and visit more frequently. I am very much looking forward to this.

Wishing everyone and their families and healthy and Happy New Year!

Hi Claire!! :wave2:

Glad that you stopped by, and it sounds like a lot of changes in the next several months. And a trip to the Lodge in February sounds like the perfect pre-retirement trip to get you used to a little slower daily pace. :) Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. :thumbsup2

Granny, Sleepy and Bobbi, thanks for the unanimous recommendations of Congress Park. We went online and put in our requests. We never going wrong here asking for advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter