Waikiki/Aulani split--advice on days, Waikiki hotel?

Our first trip to Hawaii is in 2 weeks and will stay the first week on Maui followed by 3 nights at Aulani and 5 nights in Waikiki. We decided to stay in Aulani first so that we were there during the week and will avoid the 4th of July crowds. When we are at Aulani we will spend one morning seeing the North Shore but plan to spend most of our time at the resort.

Our first trip to Hawaii is in 2 weeks and will stay the first week on Maui followed by 3 nights at Aulani and 5 nights in Waikiki. We decided to stay in Aulani first so that we were there during the week and will avoid the 4th of July crowds. When we are at Aulani we will spend one morning seeing the North Shore but plan to spend most of our time at the resort.
Sounds like we'll be flip-flopping with you all--we are doing Waikiki 6/29-7/3 and then Aulani 7/3-7/9. :)

I would do Waikiki first, then Aulani. It's a much busier area and a little easier to get to from the airport. I'm also a little jaded because I don't care for Waikiki, and I would do the whole week at Aulani. But from some people I know who enjoy Waikiki, the Sheraton is their preferred place. Avoid the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The Kualoa ranch and Makapuu point are closer to Waikiki, and you can really do the whole east side of the island in one day from Waikiki if you have a car. Aulani is a little closer to the north shore but both are similar driving distance.

I spent 2 weeks on the north shore last year and these are my recommendations:

During surf season you can watch people at Pipeline or Vezyland beach. During the low season, you can snorkel at Shark's cove. Be careful if you want to swim. Pipeline doesn't even allow swimmers and some of the other beaches have 6 to 10 ft breakers.

Waimea Valley and Ka'ena point are both worth hiking.

Food recommendations are the Sunrise Shack, Giovanni's Shrimp, Okina Cafe, Kono's BBQ, Haleiwa Seafood, Jax Pizza, and Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

Kawela Bay has nice short hikes and a hidden beach, which has much more reasonable waves than the rest of the north shore.

Ok y’all, that does it! I’m starting a Maui planning thread!! We’ll be there next summer too. Would love to hear others’ plans and also learn from those going between now and then. Watch for it and come join!
Getting ideas for Maui and Aulani trip.. did Aulani seven years ago but this time want to combine with Maui.. have u started the Maui thread? would love some ideas!😎TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter