Waimea Falls

SheriBerry

Mouseketeer
I know this has probably been asked before, but has anyone done the Waimea Falls excursion through Aulani? My MIL brought it up to do on our trip in a few weeks but I wanted to find out more about it first. Is it worth the $$ or is it something that can easily be done on our own? TIA!

If you have a car it is very easy to do on your own. The turn off is well marked and it's directly across the street from Waimea Bay. So if you drive you can then also spend some time at the beautiful Waimea Beach area and go to Ted's Bakery just up the street.

If you drive be sure to go all the way to the back, it's about 3-4 minutes from the road to the gift shop. You will see the gift shop and parking lot. You will see the ticket booth after exiting the gift shop. When we were there (June 2014) the credit card machine was down and they were only accepting cash for tickets/tram rides.

We walked it and really enjoyed it, there are several "side trips" where you can get off the beaten path and wander around. However, it may be too strenuous of a walk depending on age and ability to walk a long distance.

I would imagine the only thing the tour offers is transportation to the parking lot.

You can swim in the falls but beware the water is COLD :rolleyes1

Very easy to do on your own. Rent a car and go at your own pace.

Something to keep in mind if you do decide to go through Aulani - When we went last year we tried to do several of the events through Aulani. Two of them were canceled the day of because not enough people had signed up. They wait until the day of to cancel because people frequently sign up last minute. Very frustrating.

I agree with others. We did it in may on our own. Very easy to drive. Takes about 45 minutes. There us some construction so just follow the detour signs. Lots of shrimp food trucks along the way. It's a nice walk but i was a little disappointed. Thought the falls would be bigger!

Sounded very nice, but we decided to pass. I read somewhere that sometimes the Falls posts a Health Warning by water indicating something like swim at your own risk or something like that in regard to possible health problem....

I was CONCERNED about possible BACTERIA in the water...When I originally read about the Falls, looked a lot of fun to hike, but thought it would be hot and a dip in the water would be fun....Then I read about a Health warning and the last thing any of us needed on an awesome vaca was to GET SICK!EEK!:worried:

Sounded very nice, but we decided to pass. I read somewhere that sometimes the Falls posts a Health Warning by water indicating something like swim at your own risk or something like that in regard to possible health problem....

I was CONCERNED about possible BACTERIA in the water...When I originally read about the Falls, looked a lot of fun to hike, but thought it would be hot and a dip in the water would be fun....Then I read about a Health warning and the last thing any of us needed on an awesome vaca was to GET SICK!EEK!:worried:

If you really are interested in swimming, why not call and ask about any health warnings or signs that may be posted!

Enjoy Aulani!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Sounded very nice, but we decided to pass. I read somewhere that sometimes the Falls posts a Health Warning by water indicating something like swim at your own risk or something like that in regard to possible health problem.... I was CONCERNED about possible BACTERIA in the water...When I originally read about the Falls, looked a lot of fun to hike, but thought it would be hot and a dip in the water would be fun....Then I read about a Health warning and the last thing any of us needed on an awesome vaca was to GET SICK!EEK!:worried:

Actually, swimming or even wading in any fresh water can be contaminated with Leptospirosis. Not just Waimea.

We went there, and what we saw of it was beautiful...but, while we were there a young man drowned while swimming in the falls, and they had to ask everyone to leave. I think the "swim at your own risk" refers more to that than bacteria. The falls as a strong undercurrent. They have noodles and life jackets there, but people think they are good enough swimmers. This you man was strong and healthy, and drowned while his wife was taking pictures. Very sad.

We went there, and what we saw of it was beautiful...but, while we were there a young man drowned while swimming in the falls, and they had to ask everyone to leave. I think the "swim at your own risk" refers more to that than bacteria. The falls as a strong undercurrent. They have noodles and life jackets there, but people think they are good enough swimmers. This you man was strong and healthy, and drowned while his wife was taking pictures. Very sad.

When was this? They have lifeguards and require lifejackets currently which I think would make someone drowning very unlikely.

We didn't get in due to the potential bacterial issues due to some scrapes and cuts.

His wife was taking pictures and the man drowned? Oh, My!

How tragic and sad!:sad1:

Here they are on vacation perhaps many many hours away from home....Prayers for this family!:angel::flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter