• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wait time accuracy

umichigan10

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I know this has been discussed previously, but I as looking for more current feedback than some of the similar threads I see listed. Wondering how accurate people have recently found the Disney wait times. I have the touring plans app, but was wondering if the Disney ones are generally out of whack or if TP is generally a bit more accurate. Thanks!

Posters swear by TP. First time I used it Disney's wait times were a lot closer 2 different attractions. I got in line based on TP, I wouldnt have gotten in line based on Disneys time.

YMMV, maybe I was unlucky

I

TP is a guess. A little bit better of a guess than the average Joe but still a guess. Disney inflates its wait times on purpose. 15 to 20 minutes based on casual observation. That too is just a guess. The only people that know for sure work at Disney and they arent telling.

TP is a guess. A little bit better of a guess than the average Joe but still a guess. Disney inflates its wait times on purpose. 15 to 20 minutes based on casual observation. That too is just a guess. The only people that know for sure work at Disney and they arent telling.
Only reason I even got the TP app is because I’m sorta suspicious of Disney inflating wait times to try and encourage genie + purchases. At least TP doesn’t have that motivating factor there

TP wait times are based on real-time, user-reported waits. They aren't guesses.

Even if TP is making use of user-reported wait times, that still won't be 'real time'. Say, for example, you waited 45 minutes in line for a ride and then let TP know. All that means is that 45 minutes ago that was the wait time. As more or less people get in line to ride, those times will likely vary all day long. Knowing what the ride time USED to be may/may not be of much value all during the day. If you are elsewhere in the park and notice the reported TP time, by the time you walk over to that ride it could be different. I have no idea how many people provide that information to TP or how often they update their site or how accurately users are in reporting their wait times. I doubt anyone can accurately predict FUTURE wait times which is what you really would like to know before getting in a long line and having to wait more then you expected.

I think the most accurate way to do that is look at the length of the line and how fast it is moving to decide for yourself if you want to wait whatever amount of time would be required.

Last edited:
end of April Disney wait time for Its a Small World was 45 mins, we were off the ride in 25.

When we visited in mid-May, most wait times were shorter than the posted times. However, Toy Story Midway Mania was listed as 25 minutes but took 50 minutes. It was the only wait we had that exceeded the posted time.

TP wait times are based on real-time, user-reported waits. They aren't guesses.
Based on what people say. On vacation they are focusing on reporting accurate times? Garbage in, garbage out. They are guesses because their "data" is suspect at best

Only reason I even got the TP app is because I’m sorta suspicious of Disney inflating wait times to try and encourage genie + purchases. At least TP doesn’t have that motivating factor there
They inflated when fastpass was free. Its better to underpromise and overdeliver than the reverse. People will demand free stuff for any percieved slight at a Disney.

They sometimes close off areas of a queue which can make the queue appear longer. For example at TOT the other night they closed the wrap around area after you walk up the first incline and had everyone turn to the right instead. Another day when I was in line for HM they had the “graveyard” area near the front closed.

Based on what people say. On vacation they are focusing on reporting accurate times? Garbage in, garbage out. They are guesses because their "data" is suspect at best
Have you submitted times using the app? They make it easy to be accurate.

Each person can do what’s best for them and you choose Disney info which is your preference. The OP asked a question and people are sharing their experiences.

An opinion different from yours does not make it ‘garbage’.

I just subscribed to touring plans yesterday, if you go on their site they actually post their "guesses" for the previous day and what the actual wait time was to show how close they were, it seems to me they are not usually more than a few minutes off.

Their app makes it very easy to report wait times. You get in line, open the app, enter the posted wait time and start their timer. When you enter the loading area, you hit stop and submit the time.

During our April trip the two significant standby lines we waited in had accurate times posted at the rides- 45 minutes MMRR and 40 minutes Astro-Orbiter (to watch fireworks:-)).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter