Waiting for DISNEYLAND HOTEL DVC Thread (see post 1 for updates)

Does the same wisdom hold true for this west coast resort: Buy a contract in the same use year / month as your existing contract even if it's at a different home resort?
I would think yes, keep the same use year/ month for the pooling of points during the 0-7 month window. But, if I understand correctly, the 7-11 month window is specific to that home resort, and cannot be pooled with a different home resort.
I would. I have a small AKV contract and I’ve been able to add a night to my VGC stays on a couple occasions using those points. Much much easier with same use year.

I would. I have a small AKV contract and I’ve been able to add a night to my VGC stays on a couple occasions using those points. Much much easier with same use year.
I would like to keep my same UY also but it turns out we like to go to DL in Sep. Nice whether, low crowds... But all our WDW contacts are Oct UY. Sometimes we'll probably do DL in November for holiday decor, but there will still be a lot of Sep visits so it doesn't make sense to get an Oct UY. Sigh... I wish I could change my WDW contracts to Sep since that would work fine for us also (mostly go there Nov-Jan).

I guess I'll have to deal with two memberships and won't be able to pool points.

So if I have a March and Dec UY and they open for sales in Oct then I could get a matching March UY with 2023 points, but not a Dec?
I think it’s rather likely existing owners will be able to buy their use year. But we won’t know for a while. It’s worth remembering that a Florida timeshare sold under Florida timeshare laws may not be the best reference point for a California timeshare.

I think it’s rather likely existing owners will be able to buy their use year. But we won’t know for a while. It’s worth remembering that a Florida timeshare sold under Florida timeshare laws may not be the best reference point for a California timeshare.
I think existing owners will get their UY, I think the question is who gets 2023 points, no? It could be that someone with a March UY would get points starting 2024, no 2023 points, given that the UY didn't exist in 2023.

Do we know what happened with Riviera? I thought it opened at the beginning of the year though.

For first year points, it's usually around 6 months prior to opening. If VDH opens in December 2023, I think the most likely outcome is that June, August, September, October and December UYs get their first set of points for 2023. February, March and April get their first points in 2024.

Points can be borrowed for earlier stays.

In the past DVC ran promos where they would give out a set of Developer Points which could be used at other destinations for earlier stays. That seemed designed to take the sting out of "spend $30K but can't use for a half year." But it's been a while since they've done that.

For first year points, it's usually around 6 months prior to opening. If VDH opens in December 2023, I think the most likely outcome is that June, August, September, October and December UYs get their first set of points for 2023. February, March and April get their first points in 2024.
Oh, that's good to know. I would like to get my Sep 2023 points at pro-rated dues!

I think existing owners will get their UY, I think the question is who gets 2023 points, no? It could be that someone with a March UY would get points starting 2024, no 2023 points, given that the UY didn't exist in 2023.
I bet they will allow for one time purchase points for 2023 if your use is either pre/post the opening date at some discounted rate -- would make sense.

Riviera opened mid-December 2019 and I'm pretty sure all UY started with 2019 points.
Oh, duh, I should have remembered! We bought RVA in Jan of 2020 with an Oct UY but got 2019 points! Okay, so I fully expect that to be the case for VDH since it's a new property line RVA was.

I guess I'll have to deal with two memberships and won't be able to pool points.
Not too much of a pain if you have sufficient amount of points in each membership. For us the debate is do we put the VDH points in our June or December UY. If we get VDH I think Dec makes the most sense as then we'll have coverage for most of the year (our VGC points are in June) and our VDH points can help us cover spring trips.

Not too much of a pain if you have sufficient amount of points in each membership. For us the debate is do we put the VDH points in our June or December UY. If we get VDH I think Dec makes the most sense as then we'll have coverage for most of the year (our VGC points are in June) and our VDH points can help us cover spring trips.
I'm looking at a small contract. But since it'll be only for DL trips every 2 years, I think it'll be fine. Shouldn't need to transfer much, if at all.

What is the pod room all about? Is that like an ultra low point room?

What is the pod room all about? Is that like an ultra low point room?
Hey @ajiuo
It will be like Riviera's Tower Studios - which was a new room size for DVC when Riviera opened.
Here's the proposed room layout for the pods at Villas at Disneyland Hotel:

POD.jpg
Here's the point chart for Riviera where you can see they are lower in points but for how much smaller they are... probably not as low as they should be :-): Of course keeping in mind that Riviera's point chart is higher in general than most older resorts so look more at the difference between Tower and Deluxe Studio for this specific property not just what you could get for the points at a different property:

https://cdn2.parksmedia.wdprapps.disney.com/media/dvc/catalog/resorts/dvc-resorts/RVA_2024.pdf

And here's a video room tour of one of Riviera's pods (aka Tower Studios):

Great size for a single person / couple who is/are always in the parks not hanging out in the room. But max 2 peeps.

Hey @ajiuo
It will be like Riviera's Tower Studios - which was a new room size for DVC when Riviera opened.
Here's the proposed room layout for the pods at Villas at Disneyland Hotel:

View attachment 733469
Here's the point chart for Riviera where you can see they are lower in points but for how much smaller they are... probably not as low as they should be :-): Of course keeping in mind that Riviera's point chart is higher in general than most older resorts so look more at the difference between Tower and Deluxe Studio for this specific property not just what you could get for the points at a different property:

https://cdn2.parksmedia.wdprapps.disney.com/media/dvc/catalog/resorts/dvc-resorts/RVA_2024.pdf

And here's a video room tour of one of Riviera's pods (aka Tower Studios):

Great size for a single person / couple who is/are always in the parks not hanging out in the room. But max 2 peeps.
I feel like the pods look like they could be slightly bigger than the tower studios

I feel like the pods look like they could be slightly bigger than the tower studios

I imported the POD plan into my Photoshop file where I did a guestimate of the SQ feet of the 2BR and I come up with a guestimate of 16' x 23' = 368 SQFT for the POD.

Edit - this was wrong. See later post with correct info of 276 (ish) that is likely a better guess.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter