Waitlist advice....

disfanforlife

DIS Veteran
We have a 2 bd at kidani for nov 9 -16. I called yesterday right at our 7 month mark to switch to BLT and no go. It is available the last five days but not the first two. My question do I have a better chance of getting just the 9 & 10th on a waitlist. Or does it really not make a difference if your waitlist is for two days or seven? I could book the other five days tomorrow, but I really don't want to switch resorts. We have another family traveling with us and I think it will be easier for us to stay in one place.

What do you think has a better chance, having seven days match up or just two? I would think that the shorter the better.

:earsboy: Bill

I thought you might say that. So, I guess I need to think about and decide if the waitlist does not come through - if we really mind switching resorts. We have not ever done that before.

Yes, a 2 night wait list is FAR more likely to match than a 7 night, but a 1 night is even more likely. And what may not be obvious, is that it matters FAR more than you'd ever imagine.

Here's my example from THIS WEEK:

We're just about to stay in a 2BR BLT lake view room. I let one 7 night wait lists run from about 6 months out, all the way down to 7 days. It never matched.

In parallel, starting about three weeks before our trip, I was able to piece together 3 connected nights in the same room using one night wait lists, and after the 7 day mark I got the final night by checking the site a few times a day.

I learned a LOT by watching rooms come and go, and my conclusion is that week long wait lists are only useful if for some reason you can't take the risk that you might end up with a split stay, and you've decided to simply use a wait list as a Hail Mary play.

I thought you might say that. So, I guess I need to think about and decide if the waitlist does not come through - if we really mind switching resorts. We have not ever done that before.

Switching does eat into a day but it is doable. Bell Services will transfer your luggage and food so keep something to bag the food in.

If it doesn't come through, consider the DxDDP for the two day portion of your stay. You can eat at a signature restaurant and have credits still to use the day of your move.

:earsboy: Bill

Thank you for the advice. I think I will do change it tomorrow. I can't do it before then. I was going to get the dining plan for the whole stay. So, I guess I can still do that too.

Personally i would at least book some of what is available and plan a split stay if the waitlist doesn't come through.

Firstly we love split stays Kidani/BLT as the contrast betwen get away from it and be at the centre of it is great.

Secondly if you don't want to do a split stay i think if you wait list right at 7 months you probably have a decent shot at getting it. i have gotten both the BLT waitlists i did at 7 months.

Thirdly a split stay is no big deal. Ok repacking is a hassle but bell services take all your luggage so you can go straight to a park and check in when you are ready. You can even still use your charging privileges on the checked out KTTW until midnight. We find it works wonderfully and the excitement of somewhere new is way more than the downsides of the split stay.

If I was in your shoes I would probably do a 3 night 4 nioght split so you had a decent amount of time at each resort and wait list the 3 nights together

Personally i would at least book some of what is available and plan a split stay if the waitlist doesn't come through.

Firstly we love split stays Kidani/BLT as the contrast betwen get away from it and be at the centre of it is great.

Secondly if you don't want to do a split stay i think if you wait list right at 7 months you probably have a decent shot at getting it. i have gotten both the BLT waitlists i did at 7 months.

Thirdly a split stay is no big deal. Ok repacking is a hassle but bell services take all your luggage so you can go straight to a park and check in when you are ready. You can even still use your charging privileges on the checked out KTTW until midnight. We find it works wonderfully and the excitement of somewhere new is way more than the downsides of the split stay.

If I was in your shoes I would probably do a 3 night 4 nioght split so you had a decent amount of time at each resort and wait list the 3 nights together

Thank you for the advice! I don't know why the split stay intimidates me. We don't usually have much food in the fridge to worry about. I guess I was also thinking about the stuff I wouldn't want to leave in my suitcases, but I guess we could bring with us to park just that day (like an ipad or whatever it might be...) And if we do dining plan I would just make sure we didn't have any snacks or meals left from the first part of the stay. And to keep the tickets separate. I usually put them on our room card, but with the new bracelets - maybe that wouldn't matter. Just thinking of the details.....

Thank you for the advice. I think I will do change it tomorrow. I can't do it before then. I was going to get the dining plan for the whole stay. So, I guess I can still do that too.
I'd go a step further. I'd take the 5 days and wait list each of the other 2 nights individually but not cancel your alternate 2 days until you get the second night at BLT.

Thanks again everyone for the advice! I called this morning first thing and changed it. So now, we have AKV the first two nights and BLT the next 5 nights! I am so excited!!!! I love BLT and can't wait to go back there. We were there in 2009 and really enjoyed going up to watch the fireworks at night and so many other things. I also changed the wait list so that the first two nights are on for BLT too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter