• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WALk from hojo

katyringo

DIS Veteran
is the walk from the hojo as close as I'm reading on trip advisor, etc?

Google maps is telling me about 11 minutes.

Our first afternoon/ evening there we don't have park tickets. My son and husband have tickets to mideval time (btw anyone know the best way for them to get there?) and so I was thinking of hitting downtown Disney with our toddler and the stroller. Is that realistic?

It's an easy walk. Pushing a stroller and with cooperating traffic lights I bet you'd be at security in 10 minutes.

Our first afternoon/ evening there we don't have park tickets. My son and husband have tickets to mideval time (btw anyone know the best way for them to get there?) and so I was thinking of hitting downtown Disney with our toddler and the stroller. Is that realistic?

Super Easy walk, less than our walk from the car to school. (Less than to DLH too)

Heading to DtD with the toddler sounds very realistic.

I think that 11 minutes sounds about right. I would Uber to Midevil times as its a little ways away. Maybe a 10-15 minute drive as its in Buena Park.

Definitely walkable with a toddler in a stroller. We stayed at the HoJo with 3 kids under 4 (at the time) and found it an easy ~10-12 minute walk with kids in strollers. Plus the pool there is awesome for young kids.

I would Uber to medieval times. Depending on how old your son is, he may need a car seat or booster seat in the car. Obviously safety first, but CA has stricter car seat laws than most states.

Definitely walkable with a toddler in a stroller. We stayed at the HoJo with 3 kids under 4 (at the time) and found it an easy ~10-12 minute walk with kids in strollers. Plus the pool there is awesome for young kids.

I would Uber to medieval times. Depending on how old your son is, he may need a car seat or booster seat in the car. Obviously safety first, but CA has stricter car seat laws than most states.

This is why I'm stuck on getting them there. He will probably require a booster seat. Maybe I can buy one and have it sent to the hotel for us.

This is why I'm stuck on getting them there. He will probably require a booster seat. Maybe I can buy one and have it sent to the hotel for us.
If he is 40lbs+, look into a BubbleBum. I have not tried one yet, but I have my eye on them for travel as soon as my 5 yr olds hit 40lbs. They are inflatable/deflatable and store in a carry pouch. There is also a mifold, but I have a few friends whose kids say they are uncomfortable sitting on the hard plastic.

If he is 40lbs+, look into a BubbleBum. I have not tried one yet, but I have my eye on them for travel as soon as my 5 yr olds hit 40lbs. They are inflatable/deflatable and store in a carry pouch. There is also a mifold, but I have a few friends whose kids say they are uncomfortable sitting on the hard plastic.

He is almost 50lbs and 5 years old. Are those things you listed legal in California?

He is almost 50lbs and 5 years old. Are those things you listed legal in California?
Yes, it is a safety tested belt positioning booster. I wouldn't use it as a regular full-time use seat, but for travel where you just need to Uber or shuttle to a destination, I would certainly use it.

Here is the Car Seats for The Littles review: https://csftl.org/updated-bubblebum-review/

Here is CA law: https://www.chp.ca.gov/programs-services/programs/child-safety-seats
Current California Law:
  • Children under 2 years of age shall ride in a rear-facing car seat unless the child weighs 40 or more pounds OR is 40 or more inches tall. The child shall be secured in a manner that complies with the height and weight limits specified by the manufacturer of the car seat. (California Vehicle Code Section 27360.)

• Children under the age of 8 must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat.

• Children who are 8 years of age OR have reached 4’9” in height may be secured by a booster seat, but at a minimum must be secured by a safety belt. (California Vehicle Code Section 27363.)

• Passengers who are 16 years of age and over are subject to California's Mandatory Seat Belt law.

When can a child graduate to a booster seat?

California law does not address graduation time from a five point harness to a booster seat. In the interest of safety, do not rush to move a child into a booster seat before they’re ready. Each time you “graduate” your child to the next seat, there’s a reduction in the level of protection for your child. Keep your child in each stage for as long as possible.

A child is ready for a booster seat when they have outgrown the weight or height limit of their forward-facing harnesses, which is typically between 40 and 65 pounds. Read the forward-facing car seat’s owner’s manual to determine height and weight limits, and keep your child in a harnessed seat for as long as possible.

Children at this stage are not yet ready for adult safety belts and should use belt-positioning booster seats until they are at least 4’9″ and between 8 and 12 years old. Safety belts are designed for 165-pound male adults, so it’s no wonder that research shows poorly fitting adult belts can injure children.

Bubble bum was created in England, which has waaaay stricter car seat rules than America does. Yes it's legal.

I would think the most simple way to get to medieval times is ART. I heart a lot of bad things about it, but we used it before and it’s been lovely for us! Cheap to use, only for tourists (the city bus was GROSS- as in drunk people sprawled out on the seats, etc) and it’ll pick you up at DLR to medieval times and bring you back- no car seat needed.

We usually always stay at the hojo and love it! It really is super close. Last time we stayed there three years ago we had a three year old and a one year old and walking back and forth was no problem. You can totally be at downtown Disney within ten minutes or less. For us it was around a seven minute walk (I timed it) but we are fast walkers.

It's not a bad walk at all! My first trip, I thought it was a little too far after I had stayed at Park Vue in the past. But then I adjusted. And then I stayed at Ramada Plaza on Katella....now we think HoJo is super close!!!! At least in relation to that walk. Amazing how a summer afternoon walk that an extra 500 yards can make such a difference.

We've been staying at Hojo since my son was an infant and my daughter was 4. Even with a stroller and little ones its about an 8-10 minute walk to the security check point. We walk on the Park side of the street and find its a bit faster that way.

We have been 3 times and stayed at 3 different hotels, HoJo being the first one we stayed in. All 3 were walkable but HoJo was my far the easiest. I want to say under 10 mins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter