Walkers Sharing Experiences

Tracy, Yes the dreadmill can be excruciating mentally, but our winters can be so brutal that I don't have a choice. I'm going to try getting more winter workout gear for walking outside, but I'm not sure if that will do it for me. I just don't tolerate low temps very well, especially when it's windy and Kansas is almost always windy.

Hi everyone,
It's funny, because today I was thinking it's finally cool enough to walk outside without worrying about the heat! It's easy to forget all those cold days now that I have moved south. The advice for the treadmill (which I appreciate) will come in handy next August when it's too hot. I tend to walk in the late morning because I work evenings and am NOT a morning person.

I need some advice. I tend to walk around a 14:30 mpm pace when I'm walking my 4 mile training walks. I'm supposed to do an 11 mile walk this weekend at a "comfortable" pace. Quite honestly, this will be the longest walk I will have attempted so far. What is a comfortable supposed to be? I'm guessing sitting on my sofa with a bag of pretzels doesn't count, though that would be comfortable!popcorn:: I'm hoping to do the 1/2 in Dec at 15mpm and am wondering if that is reasonable. At this point, I'm just confusing myself trying to figure out what to shoot for. Help! Please! If it helps I did the TOT 13K in 1:55:10 chip time.

Thanks!:grouphug:

Lynn: Comfortable to me would be a pace that isn't killing me. When I do my longer walks, I just tend to get it done but try not to go slower that a 15min mile pace. That just happens to be my barrier mark. I have been out walking and "training" for Halfs for about 2 years and I have made the 15 the absolute slowest I will allow myself to go. For everyone, comfortable is different. See how it goes as you get started. Maybe have your first mile at a 15 and use it as a warmup and then slowly progress into a nice steady comfortable pace to get your 11 miles in.

Hope that helps.
Tracy

Lynn: Comfortable to me would be a pace that isn't killing me. When I do my longer walks, I just tend to get it done but try not to go slower that a 15min mile pace. That just happens to be my barrier mark. I have been out walking and "training" for Halfs for about 2 years and I have made the 15 the absolute slowest I will allow myself to go. For everyone, comfortable is different. See how it goes as you get started. Maybe have your first mile at a 15 and use it as a warmup and then slowly progress into a nice steady comfortable pace to get your 11 miles in.

Hope that helps.
Tracy

Yes, Thanks for the help. Wish me luck!

Hope that helps.
Tracy

:) Just like you, for whatever reason, I have made 15 my slowest walking speed. If I slow lower than that, then I make myself pick it up. I use that rate for when I just need to get some walking done but am just not up to pushing it. When I'm really working, I try for about 13.5. I'm working at bumping that up with some intervals as fast as 12. SideStitchWalker, the best advice I can give you is to listen to your own body and do what works for you. A 'comfortable' pace to me means pushing enough that it's a nice brisk walk, but not hard enough to wear yourself out.

:) Just like you, for whatever reason, I have made 15 my slowest walking speed. If I slow lower than that, then I make myself pick it up. I use that rate for when I just need to get some walking done but am just not up to pushing it. When I'm really working, I try for about 13.5. I'm working at bumping that up with some intervals as fast as 12. SideStitchWalker, the best advice I can give you is to listen to your own body and do what works for you. A 'comfortable' pace to me means pushing enough that it's a nice brisk walk, but not hard enough to wear yourself out.

A 14 min walk pace will put you finishing a full marathon in about 6 hours, Disney has a 16 min per mile time limit which puts you in at 7 hours, so 15 min is a good goal to shoot for. When I do the marathon with Erica I try to keep us on a 15 min per mile average pace even with all her stops for potty, petting animals and character pictures.

I had a patient yesterday who was a long time runner that had been forced to quit running because of knee problems. He had switched to swimming for exercise but wasn't able to do it often enough or long enough to keep his weight down like he could with running. We talked about walking as an alternative. He asked how one gets started race walking. I had been doing the class at the health club to teach basic technique but had gone to the group Thursday morning walks instead.

Just how does a person learn fast walking? To start with as with running you have to build a base of strength and endurance with walking. Daily walking is best and at least 30 minutes of motion. While walking you start incorporating race walking techniques. If you just try to start off race walking is feels awkward and very quickly your shins will begin to burn.

First off get your arm swing more to the back, like you are elbowing something behind you, not an exaggerated motion but smooth and flowing. Then walk with your feet in a straight line, walk on a line in the road or imagine you are walking one and keep your feet on the line when you bring your foot down. You have some hip motion as you swing your foot around to get it into the front. This is way more efficient than the duck walk foot plant that most people do when they walk.

Walking actually puts more muscles in motion than running does. Walking is a whole body workout using your entire leg, hips, glutes (Walkers have the best butts) lower back and abs. The arm swing tones the upper body. Running is about raising your knees in a piston action, walking is moving the leg as a lever. Because of that a walker doesn't work the quads as much as a runner does. You can do leg raises on a machine, pool sprints or just sitting in a chair and raising your legs up and down for three sets of 25 to work the quads. That will keep you from getting an imbalance. Runners on the other hand need to do more ham string and shin strengthening than walkers since running doesn't work those areas as much as the quads.

As always, any exercise is better than no exercise. Get up and get moving, winter is coming on and that is absolutely the worst time to get out of the habit of regular exercise.

Thanks for reading.

Walking Panda

Hey Walkers!!

I just got back from a judged racewalk.
The South Florida Racwalkers were doing the National and Florida State 20K Championships today. Along with that there was an open 6K and 10K races. I participated in the 6K race (3.75miles)
I completed the race in 46min and 50sec. That is a 12:29pace!!! My last best avg pace in a racewalk was 12:53. SO I PR'd today.
I also was able to do negative splits, so that was good. I came in first for females in the 6K. There were two other ladies in front of me but they were doing the other races, so really I was third, but I'll take what I can get.

Hope everyone is doing well and getting out there for some steps!!

Racey Tracy

I participated in the 6K race (3.75miles)
I completed the race in 46min and 50sec. That is a 12:29pace!!! My last best avg pace in a racewalk was 12:53. SO I PR'd today.
I also was able to do negative splits, so that was good. I came in first for females in the 6K.
Racey Tracy

Way to go!!! :banana:

Congrats!

Tracy, that's fantastic! Way to go!

Windwalker, Your racing walking descriptions are extremely helpful. I think I'm actually starting to incorporate what you are describing into my speed walking. :) A question; when you say "Then walk with your feet in a straight line, walk on a line in the road or imagine you are walking one and keep your feet on the line when you bring your foot down. You have some hip motion as you swing your foot around to get it into the front. This is way more efficient than the duck walk foot plant that most people do when they walk."
Do you mean walking on a line as if you are actually walking on a string laid in the road, or just making sure each foot is going straight forward? (hope that makes sense).

Tracy, that's fantastic! Way to go!

Windwalker, Your racing walking descriptions are extremely helpful. I think I'm actually starting to incorporate what you are describing into my speed walking. :) A question; when you say "Then walk with your feet in a straight line, walk on a line in the road or imagine you are walking one and keep your feet on the line when you bring your foot down. You have some hip motion as you swing your foot around to get it into the front. This is way more efficient than the duck walk foot plant that most people do when they walk."
Do you mean walking on a line as if you are actually walking on a string laid in the road, or just making sure each foot is going straight forward? (hope that makes sense).

I might be able to help you with this one.
You walk as if you are on a string or a balance beam.
Keep your feet on the yellow stripe running down the road. The more your feet land in a straight line the more "racewalking" and faster speed you can get. You can check your foot landings by wetting your feet and then do a few of your normal strides with heads up on a surface that your footprints will show up (like a sidewalk). Stop and turn around and see if your pattern of your feet are landing in a straight line. I was told not to force your feet to point forward, this may affect your stride.

Tracy

I might be able to help you with this one.
You walk as if you are on a string or a balance beam.
Keep your feet on the yellow stripe running down the road. The more your feet land in a straight line the more "racewalking" and faster speed you can get. You can check your foot landings by wetting your feet and then do a few of your normal strides with heads up on a surface that your footprints will show up (like a sidewalk). Stop and turn around and see if your pattern of your feet are landing in a straight line. I was told not to force your feet to point forward, this may affect your stride.

Tracy

Thank you Tracy. Good point about not forcing your feet to point forward. I normally walk a little like a duck when not racewalking. But when I do I just let my legs swing forward smoothly and get on my straight line without trying to make my foot straight.

Walking Panda:hippie:

I get it!!!:dance3: Now if this wretched weather will just clear up a lttle so I can get outside and 'walk a line'. Thanks for the great descriptors. :goodvibes

Hi everybody,
11 miles, finished in 2 hours, 45 minutes. Thanks again for the advice. Trying to incorporate what you have taught me. Today was elbows back day. Thanks, Panda

Lynn: Good job, just try to work on one thing at a time.
The swing of the arm is important. Arm should be bent at about an 90 degree angle so as your arm goes back,your hand should be just at the area where a belt or fanny pack would be. Don't let your hands hang or droop down. Relaxed fist with thumbs up. By bringing the arm back like that and hand at the waist and alittle behind the side of your waist, you'll get a "sling-shot" effect that will help you propel forward with more power. Arms and hands with too much forward swing out in front of the body is basically wasted energy that you need to use in other places. Alot of power walkers and fitness walkers do alot of forward motion. Also you don't want your elbows to be sticking out to the side and getting like chicken wing effect. Elbows should be in almost like your are walking down a skinny hallway.
Hope that helps.

Tracy

I can't workout in jackets or shorts with pockets unless they sip closed. If your hand/arm swing is right you would be catching your fingers in your pockets as you swing them.

Lynn next time out think about hips going forward one side at a time. Your leg swing starts from the hip, if you can think arm back hip forward then it will feel smooth and balanced.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Same for me Dave, pockets not zipped get in my way!! I get caught on them.

Also Linda as you go along working on the arm swing and you going along nicely, check your shoulders. They should not be tense, relax them, get them away from your ears. Another thing to think about is elbows kinda pointing down towards the ground - this will help keep the shoulders from rising up.

Have a good day walkers!!

Tracy

OK, I understand how far back and where your arms should be, but how far forward should the arms swing?
I also have trouble figuring out what my hips are doing. It seems I get too "swishy" side to side movement sometimes. The walking on a line seemed to get my hips moving in the right direction, or it could have been wishful thinking.
Thanks for the Walking 101 - Your descriptions are extemely helpful to a newbie. So much to think about. Who said walking was easy?

Good news was the weather was beautiful today,so I could walk outside and try racewalking technique's. Bad news, I stink at it! :lmao:
I know it will take time to build up the right muscle's, but I couldn't sustain the correct, walking on a plank, for more than a few minutes at a time without feeling definite stress in my shins.
The good news is that for the short spurts that I could maintain form, my speed went from 13:30 to 12:30.
So I know it's just practise, practise, practise, to develop the muscles needed for correct form.
:goodvibes I walk, I jog, I racewalk (kinda); as long as I keep moving I figure I'm okay. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter