Walt Disney World is pausing new sales of some of its annual passes.

I'm surprised Disney hasn't ended this hack years ago. It was basically a way to skirt the blackout dates.
They already ended this hack. If you try to upgrade you don't get the value of a used ticket during a blackout date applied to a pass that would be no good on those blackout dates. This pause is not a way for them to fix this problem as it has already been fixed.

Cant you just buy regular tickets now, make your park pass reservation, then upgrade when they open up APs again? I don’t understand why you have to cancel
Because the tickets would cost more than the pass, Im not paying that upfront with no guarantee that I'll be able to get AP in the future.

It's also odd for Disney to make a Sunday night announcement. I think it has to do with the holidays crowds and park availability.
Just reading this but they waited until D23 was over to announce ..
Certain others probably did not want to be Booed offstage…perhaps

For us, we might just go back to purchasing day tickets. I kinda like light park vacations now.

They are definitely still limiting attendance, significantly. Park passes were sold out yesterday and per touring plans they only hit crowd level 5's and 6's. I watched some livestreamers. The parks were crowded, but they weren't "thanksgiving walls of people" crowded. Wait times weren't that insane. I don't know what the limit is right now but its definitely substantially below a pre-covid park level 10.
There’s 8 rides currently with 60 minute waits or longer…..it’s not “substantially lower” Fast Pass+ isn’t gumming up the works and adoption of gene+ is not over 60% yet. I’ve been there 3x this year and know people who actually know what they’re doing. They’re not going to broadcast daily what their atrendnece is and you’re not going to have the capacity announcement overhead anymore because they have to honor all park reservations whether they are in the park or notand simply turn off hopping so the actual thing to watch is if they turn off hoping after 2 because that’s a fire Marshall issue potentionally but I think they’ve found an area where they can allow it most of the time so they don’t need to refund hopper tickets

I wonder if they're also doing this as a way to get people who were holding off on purchasing their AP until closer to their travels dates to just bite the bullet and do it. I know for me, I was going to wait until my trip to get my son's AP. Now? I'll likely purchase it as soon as they're on sale again. I don't think too many people took the comment that they were limited seriously, so maybe this is their way to say they're serious?

I’m not trying to be a Disney apologist here but not everything has some nefarious motive. 40% of magic key holders were “new” in California, I’m sure there is some of that in Florida too but not that high. People are making supply chain issue jokes which are fine but it is the same dynamic , attendance is supply, demand for AP’s/tickets is higher than it’s ever been due to people wanting to go through DVC points that have racked up taking a much needed vacation or spending some extra cash they have on hand. When you combine that with 50th anniversary events, merchandise, whatever, you have unprecedented demand that will drop off slightly at some point but it won’t be for a little while.

So I'd guess this has something to do with trying to avoid a situation similar to DL with no availability and also because G+ has sold out pretty early a few days, even before heading into the holidays. I just commented on a post yesterday about this happening at 1 pm! I know we complained when things were sold out on our trip at 3 pm on 11/12, and I'm sure we weren't the only ones....

They want people to get in the park, and then once there, pay for G+ to get on rides (and have them available). All about maximizing that $ (probably)

There’s 8 rides currently with 60 minute waits or longer…..it’s not “substantially lower” Fast Pass+ isn’t gumming up the works and adoption of gene+ is not over 60% yet. I’ve been there 3x this year and know people who actually know what they’re doing. They’re not going to broadcast daily what their atrendnece is and you’re not going to have the capacity announcement overhead anymore because they have to honor all park reservations whether they are in the park or notand simply turn off hopping so the actual thing to watch is if they turn off hoping after 2 because that’s a fire Marshall issue potentionally but I think they’ve found an area where they can allow it most of the time so they don’t need to refund hopper tickets
Again, the touringplans data doesn't lie. There are days where park passes are sold out and those days are nowhere near crowd level '10' days. Even adjusting for the idea that lightning lanes slow the standby lines less then fastpasses (which I find to be a dubious claim), they are still nowhere near a level 4 capacity closing from the before times. Attendance is still definitely being limited to a level far below what their "cap" was in the before covid times.

Ahhh I see what they did there which is kind of smart. As a Florida resident you buy Pixie then upgrade to Pirate

Last edited:
Still try, I saw someone say there might be a grace period, they’ve seen them before. And you are only days away from announcement.
Thanks, we will try! I would have upgraded already over the phone but when my mom called to upgrade last week there was an issue getting her pass. The money was taken off the gift card, but they didn't know where it went and she spent almost 10 hours on the phone over 3 days trying to square it up. She did get her pass and all was well. I just figured I'd save the headache and do it when I get there. Now we might just be out of luck.

Edit: My mom did call early this morning and explained the situation. They made a "note" that she had called, so fingers crossed 🤞🏼

3 of us in the family have silver passes. Our daughter turns 3 on sunday, and we are staying on property for her birthday - pixie pass does not cover weekends - does anybody know if they are making exceptions? Planned to buy the pirate pass upon arrival/her 3rd birthday to line up with our silvers

3 of us in the family have silver passes. Our daughter turns 3 on sunday, and we are staying on property for her birthday - pixie pass does not cover weekends - does anybody know if they are making exceptions? Planned to buy the pirate pass upon arrival/her 3rd birthday to line up with our silvers
I’m kinda in the same position. Was waiting till we got closer to our vacation to purchase my youngest the AP. Question is since I hold three other passes now, will I be able to ad my daughter in the same level as we are even if they aren’t technically selling the level of passes we have now.

Any chance you are starting your trip while she is still 2? The old rule was that there isn't an age change for a child for ticket and dining purposes during WDW trip. My youngest is 25 so things may have changed since I had to worry about child tickets.

Any chance you are starting your trip while she is still 2? The old rule was that there isn't an age change for a child for ticket and dining purposes during WDW trip. My youngest is 25 so things may have changed since I had to worry about child tickets.

Yes she is 2 for this trip, and we leave on sunday (she turns 3 sunday) - but we go once a once on average and stay 3-5 nights on property so .... lol doesn't buy us too long

There really is no point in people on here arguing about full, limited etc capacity because NO ONE here, no one at Touring Plans, no one that is willing to share information has that information. Never has, never will.

Also Disney can say they "limit capacity or reservations" while still being at full capacity for the parks current situation. With attractions closed, restaurants limiting entry, no parade etc .... capacity becomes a very fluid number.

I was there in July, capacity was obviously being limited and everything was flowing well. I was just there first week of November, and it felt like any other year pre-covid. Lines were long and the same old wait times, very difficult to get dining reservations, QS were very busy and snack lines were long. Walkways were packed and a chore to negotiate. The only thing without long lines were the shops and that was likely because everyone was in line elsewhere. I would venture that while less people than normal, it was likely closer to the capacity of the things that were open. Even parking lots looked like pre-Covid.

I imagine it is even worse now, getting worse closer to holidays and this was a good move. No need to add more to a pool where reservations are limited or closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter