Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Transportation from the Swan/Dolphin

It's been discussed here and asked about often: how to get to the parks. I wanted to share some photos of transportation spots at the Dolphin as well as some personal thoughts on rope dropping from the Swan/Dolphin Complex.

Bus Transportation

Here's the Bus Stop at the Dolphin.

This is where you get the bus to Animal Kingdom, Ticket and Transportation Center for Magic Kingdom, and Disney Springs. Buses begin about an hour before park opening such as EARLY park opening. So, around 6.30 AM for a 7:30 AM Animal Kingdom opening, etc.

The bus returning to the resort from Animal Kingdom is the best! The pick up location is over by where Lyft pick up is, right by the Handicapped parking) so it's just as close to the AK entrance as the buses from Disney resorts.

The fastest way to get here is from Fuel or out the front doors.

Benches for waiting

View for loading

Boat Dock for Swan and Dolphin

This is a view of the boat dock from the path tot he boardwalk. Like the buses, they start one hour before park opening (so 7:30 for an 8:30 Hollywood Studios early opening, 8:30 for a 9:30 early Epcot opening)

Here's a view where you line up for the boat

The boat route is: Hollywood Studios, Swan/Dolphin, Beach Club/Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Epcot (and reverse in that order)

Thoughts on transportation for Rope Drop.

I rope dropped all four parks (Animal Kingdom once, Epcot once, Hollywood Studios twice, Magic Kingdom twice).

Taking the bus to AK was fine. I was near the front of the crowd tapping into AK (I did not rope drop FOP but just entered the park and made my way to safari. They check early entry to the LEFT path to ensure you are at a Disney resort and this includes Swan/Dolphin. My Magic Band worked fine.

IF you want to be at the front of the crowd at Magic Kingdom, walk to the bus stop at either Boardwalk or Yacht Club. I know that people on these boards staying at the Boardwalk/Yacht Club complain about "crowding their buses" but to be honest, that first bus - at least at Boardwalk - did not fill up though it was significantly fuller on Thursday than Tuesday. The first bus for MK left The Boardwalk at 7:18 one day and 7:15 the other day.

Being solo gave me the advantage of walking fast and around families with small children/ strollers and I was at the front of the tapstiles and one of the first people into Magic Kingdom. People do a fast jog from this point. They check for Disney Resorts to the RIGHT of the castle near the Tomorrowland Terrance. A rope is held right about the Cheshire Cat Café for Fantasy Land and at the Tomorrowland Bridge for Tomorrowland.

I rope dropped Peter Pan both days and was one of the first on the ride.

IF you want to be at the front of the crowds for Hollywood Studios or Epcot, you need to WALK.

At Hollywood Studios,
they let us through security, into the park, and straight to our ride at 7.30 which would put you at significant disadvantage if you waited for the boat which doesn't pick up until 7.30. On one day, I arrived about 7:15 and buses were already dropping folks off.

If being at the front is super important for you at Hollywood Studios, the line begins forming to go through security around 7 AM. They will hold you in two lines walk you towards security. Early Entry Resort Guest check is done via Cast Members waiting between the ticket booths. Then, straight through and on towards either Rise (they funnel you to the left at ABC Commissary), Straight to MMRR, and RIGHT for Toy Story Land. You are held at the exterior part of the que until 8:30

At Epcot International Gateway, the line began forming to be walked to security around 8:10 (I had time for breakfast at Trattoria al Forno first). They walk people through security and then hold you at the tapstiles. This is the only park where there is a Passholder line that is open early. The other parks don't open one until official opening.

You confirm eligibility for early opening near the little store at the International Gateway. then they hold you at either Canada or France until pre-park opening. Anyone rope dropping Remy has a big advantage at the International Gateway VS those entering through via bus at the front of the park. You are held at Canada or France until 8:30.

Last edited:
@Saad there might be. If you look at the SwanDolphin homepage click on "Accommodations" you will see a list of what they currently call the rooms. You can see the floor plan for each. Then you can take that room type and google something like "Swan Family Room" I haven't have one though.

I seem to recall it went through a name change. @Dan Murphy do you recall of the Family rooms were the Alcove rooms?

@TommyLF A few thoughts on this.
Housekeeping at S/D, and all Disney hotels is not up to par where it was or where it should be IMHO. Call it staff shortages or just being cheap, I'm not sure which. But they will service your room every 3-4 days but bring you anything you want. To me for the lower prices at SD make it more "acceptable" but if paying full price or at a Disney Deluxe it's unacceptable. I'm not sure who/why but our trip to Hawaii we had daily room service.

I will also add that I have never found most TripAdvisor reviews to be worth a dime. Complainers complain, those with a good expereince are not likely to chime in. If you read through this group I think you'll get a better feeling for how things are. In past years I felt the reviews were pool based on those attending conferences and not getting their own room and being forced to "share" either way take TripAdisovr with a grain of salt.. like enough salt for a Margarita Glass ;)

Anyone rope dropping Remy has a big advantage at the International Gateway VS those entering through via bus at the front of the park. You are held at Canada or France until 8:30.
This is great news! We visited in October when Remy was VQ and had no advantage entering from IG. I was hoping that this would be the case. We headed to TT last fall and were far back in the line. So entering IG this time will be very helpful.

Any advantage going directly at Frozen when entering IG? I never stayed in the Epcot area before so I have difficulties visualizing.

Yes you do have an advantage as it's much faster to get from Canada around to Norway than it is to get from the front of the park.

Note though that you should have a back-up plan as Frozen regularly has problems. The morning I rope dropped, both Test Track and Frozen did not open at early opening on the day I rope dropped. Fortunately, they do tell you when you're waiting for the rope to actually drop.

(This kind of goes for every rope drop: have a back up plan if your preferred ride isn't ready to open.)

@Saad there might be. If you look at the SwanDolphin homepage click on "Accommodations" you will see a list of what they currently call the rooms. You can see the floor plan for each. Then you can take that room type and google something like "Swan Family Room" I haven't have one though.

I seem to recall it went through a name change. @Dan Murphy do you recall of the Family rooms were the Alcove rooms?
Steve, I have been confused with the S/D room nomenclature for over 20 years. There are so many room type names, differences between the two resorts, changes over times, inconsistencies on the websites and so on.

@TexanInTheMidwest, I just was able to read and view your posts and photos. Those were so very helpful and informative. I really appreciate your taking the time to do it while on your trip, as well as doing all that here for us. Really nice. :thumbsup2 Thank you.

Very happy to be helpful as this board has been usually so kind and thoughtful in helping me over the years. And it does help that I was solo most of this trip so no one complaining if I was lollygagging to snap photos. :daisy:

So I learned about the Swan Reserve ADR glitch the hard way - after spending three hours online, two on the phone and 1.5 on chat. I have hard that this glitch extends to lightning lane reservations and extra magic hours once on site. Can anyone let me know if that's the case? Its frustrating that they are well aware of the issue, but don't let you know when booking at the resort.

So I learned about the Swan Reserve ADR glitch the hard way - after spending three hours online, two on the phone and 1.5 on chat. I have hard that this glitch extends to lightning lane reservations and extra magic hours once on site. Can anyone let me know if that's the case? Its frustrating that they are well aware of the issue, but don't let you know when booking at the resort.

I checked in last Saturday to the Dolphin and was reviewing my plans over dinner and realized my reservation had fallen out of MDE after checking in. I would advise everyone to:
(1) email yourself or create a note somewhere on your phone with your confirmation # so that you can simply copy and paste it into MDE and re-link it.
(2) check your MDE before you go to bed for the next day's plans and ensure your hotel is listed.

I checked in last Saturday to the Dolphin and was reviewing my plans over dinner and realized my reservation had fallen out of MDE after checking in. I would advise everyone to:
(1) email yourself or create a note somewhere on your phone with your confirmation # so that you can simply copy and paste it into MDE and re-link it.
(2) check your MDE before you go to bed for the next day's plans and ensure your hotel is listed.
Thanks very much. I just looked and, sure enough, my reservation had disappeared in MDE. Thanks for saving me a potential hassle/frustration.

@annie walsh Did you get one of these
I guess I probably should have explained the glitch! I think I did see that email and it would have been a perfect place to notify guests that you CANNOT make dining reservations online for your entire stay at the 60 day window if you are booked at the Swan Reserve (swan and dolphin are fine). You have to call Disney and get someone on the phone. Reservations go online at 5:45 am. Phones and chat don’t open until 7am and after waiting two hours on the phone today, it still wasn’t my turn. I have since read that this same glitch happens when trying to make 7am lightning lane reservations and I was hoping that someone would know what to do.

So I was going to stay at the Swan with my points covering part of the trip. Should I use the points and stay at Swan Reserve instead? I’ll be paying $200 more total out of pocket for my cash nights if I move to SR over Swan. Is it worth it? 🤔

So I was going to stay at the Swan with my points covering part of the trip. Should I use the points and stay at Swan Reserve instead? I’ll be paying $200 more total out of pocket for my cash nights if I move to SR over Swan. Is it worth it? 🤔
We're doing a few nights at the swan (package) and then five at the reserve (points). I wanted to try them both. I was going to see if the "top off" a free night certificate would start before we went but I freak out worrying about me things messing up by waiting.

We're doing a few nights at the swan (package) and then five at the reserve (points). I wanted to try them both. I was going to see if the "top off" a free night certificate would start before we went but I freak out worrying about me things messing up by waiting.
When are you going? We go in March, and I am currently holding both reservations.

I'm considering adding a night to my current reservation. Can I do this through in house reservations? Or do I have to call Marriott directly? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter