Warning for larger passengers

jjcollins

DIS Veteran
Southwest Airlines will start charging larger passengers for two seats on its 2,800 daily flights starting June 26.The airline, which operates out of 58 U.S. cities and is the largest carrier at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, will begin charging "persons of size" for two seats if they think they may not fit comfortably in one.

jj....... :eek: :mad: :eek:

I'll make a price on 75-90 days before the first lawsuit on the airline hits the legal system. Damages for hurt feelings of being told you're a fatty etc, I'll give it 3 month before this gets pulled. IMHO someone's dropped the ball on something like this, the bad publicity will hurt the airline for years and the savings will be minimal. Does it say if they will be offering half price to people that only weight 100 pounds ? I doubt it a discount if you only take a briefcase?

No Vernon no half price seats. But if you pay for 2 seats do you get 2 inflight meals....:p :p

jj.....;)

I guess that it is a avery contraversial issue.... still sharing half of your seat with a considerably larger person sitting next to you can be unpleasant too: I think this may be trying to protect those that get affected by sitting next to people who cannot really fit into one seat but refuse to buy two.

I guess that South West is starting to treat larger passengers like excess baggage: if your luggage is over your allocated allowance then you pay extra, if your personal mass is greater than your allocated seat/cabin space then you require an extra seat/more space.

Still I have to agree with Vernon, in this era of sueing for anything and everything (especially in America), I would expect there to be a few lawsuits.

Boo

On one Orlando trip I sat in the row infront of a very large lady, and she had an empty seat next to her. She had the armrest up and filled all of her own seat, plus half of the one next to her. At the time, I wondered whether she had been required to pay extra for using up more than one seat.

Then, on the return journey, she had the same seat but the one next to her wasn't empty but occupied by a young man who clearly wasn't with her. If I had paid good money to have half of my seat taken up by another person, I know I wouldn't have been at all amused!

Does the responsibility for this lie with the airlines to provide seats large enough for all passengers, or with passengers to pay for extra seating if they require it? Supposing a passenger on a stretcher has to be flown home - do they have to pay for taking up extra space? Anyone know the answer?

As far as I am aware, people who are on stretchers are flown back by air ambulance (rather than regular plane) - in which case they better have medical insurance...

I would imagine that the bottom line is that airlines COULD make economy seats bigger, but the ticket price would increase also. So to remove discrimination by making seats bigger, EVERYONE would have to pay more....

Boo

Travelled back on a commercial flight once with a stretcher on board, it took up about three rows of seats.

Why not have a row of 8- 10 X- large seats on every plane? that way if a person of size boards they could be directed to those seats. And the airline wouldn't spend a lot of money on changing every seat on the plane.

This new policy wont last too long I'm afraid.

If there was a row or two of "larger" seats that were the same price as regular seats, then I think that regular sized travellers (especially that airline's "elite" fliers) would start trying to get hold of them too (arguing that they have paid the same price) - human nature...

Where I have a problem is that seat sizes are, IMHO, inadiquate to start with. This isn't limited to airline seats as the same can be said for trains, theatres and many sports stadia. The difference though is that for airline seats you are going to be in them for a MINMIMUM of 2 hours and in the case of intercontinental flights 7 to 12 hours. It is an already accepted medical fact that seating in cramped conditions unable to move for hours on end is a potentialy fatal danger yet the airlines continue drag their heels in facing DVT. I doubt that anyone that weighs more than 14 stone ( 200 pounds) feels that space in airline seats is adiquate. While that may be SLIGHTLY more than the average MAN'S weight it certainly isn't obese. I'm right on the edge of fitting into "standard seats" on some of the airlines and while I'm in the range of 250 pounds that is not, IMHO freakish. ( I think my "childbearing hips " have a lot to do with that ;) )

I do understand that it is unfortunate to be stuck next to someone who overflows their own seat, but the "fault" lies with the airlines using "average" specs not allowing for the range of height and weight in the general population. not with the person who is larger than "average" size. Afterall a man of say 6'6 is likely to have a frame to match, even if his stature is in the same ratio as Mr Average, he is likely to be broarder than the seats allow for.

I also understand that the airlines can't be expected to allow for the whole range of the human frame but to me it is a nonsense that anyone who'se more than 6 feet tall and weighs more than 200 poulds is subjected to serious discomfort over an extended period. To bring this home I suggest you look at the keyboard in front of you, that is ( in most cases) almost exactly the same width as standard economy airline seat. What's next ? an increased fare for tall people?

With reduced airtraffic since Sept 11 and airlines cutting back flights etc due to reduced passenger flows it would, IMHO make sense for the airlines to increase both fares and seating space by approximately 10-15% unfortunately all you're likely to see is an increase in prices, but no increase in passanger comfort or safety. All the other airlines will be watching the effects this has on the airlines flows and proffitability, if you want to make sure this isn't taken up by other airlines make sure you avoid using this particular company.

Wheres it going to end :D

I can just see me at checkin "yes sir please put your baggage on the scales, then kindly get on the scales yourselve, that'll be an excess of XXX kilos.... or would you like to be put in the hold with the cargo" :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter