Washington DC Hotel and Restaurants

It looks like there are 4 different Embassy Suite Hotels in the area. Does anyone have any suggestions which one would be the most convenient and have parking?
Haven't stayed at any of them. Looks like the 'Georgetown' one is not in Georgetown but halfway between the Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle Metro stops (4 blocks away from each?) self-parking there is $55 a day.
Crystal city maybe a bit closer to the metro, but a bit longer ride into the city, parking $42 a day, you could probably rent a bike from Capital Bikeshare and ride over to the tidal basin from there. I know people who regularly ride over from Arlington into DC.
Embassy Suites Alexandria is quite close to the metro, $35 parking, there is also a free trolley down to the waterfront, and a water taxi over to the wharf area (not free) Probably not the best location for cherry blossoms and DC monuments and museums since more travel involved.

As far as personal safety I would not worry about metro stops between northern VA and the downtown DC area.

If it were me, I'd stay in VA and use the Metro/Uber/VRE to go into DC and enjoy DC during "work hours (9-5)" - I'd enjoy VA for dinner and the evenings. It's the safest and nicest way to enjoy a vacay.

Edit to Add: If you are planning on sightseeing, don't forget to make reservations for some of the attractions before arrival - the US Capitol tour, the Library of Congress, the National Zoo, the Washington Monument ($1/person), the US Holocaust Memorial Museum (for the Permanent Exhibition), The National Museum of African American History and Culture, and the National Air and Space Museum in DC all require timed reservations.

Last edited:
Been a few years but we have stayed in Alexandria, VA on King Street near the Metro stop. There are several Hilton brand hotels in that area. Not much of a view but a short walk to the Metro.
Lots of restaurants in Alexandria. There was a bus on our last visit that ran from the King St. Metro to the waterfront area which had multiple restaurants. Not a long Uber ride . Near the hotels we ate at Joe Theismann restaurant which was right across from the Metro station.

Been a few years but we have stayed in Alexandria, VA on King Street near the Metro stop. There are several Hilton brand hotels in that area. Not much of a view but a short walk to the Metro.
Lots of restaurants in Alexandria. There was a bus on our last visit that ran from the King St. Metro to the waterfront area which had multiple restaurants. Not a long Uber ride . Near the hotels we ate at Joe Theismann restaurant which was right across from the Metro station.
Hey there! I live very close to this metro stop! There's an embassy suites right across the street from this metro station, I used to walk by it on my commute to work every day :) (I WFH now)

Definitely take the free King Street Trolley down to the riverfront. Old Town Alexandria is beautiful and has GREAT restaurant choices. Mia's italian, Blackwall Hitch for seafood/new american, Vola's for casual seafood, Daniel O'Connell's for irish fare, Urbano for mexican food, and BARCA is literally ON the water.

There's a cute photo op on King street by water too!
jwjHZlPYg6F1-KdsLPUm-5CPBQZCWTjU9d_Z_TOBdJFKfqvu-G7XdBLxYl-caHXhVlbMVxN6VIofxWol83NCYuTnrImz8nhkhpS74ub5yY0CpUuIOHZTZBrSzNdiAQnMLKTlqFrOq3WmM89cAg9_dcnM3_xP6BsKbBguv3Rt4M0Rx_JYPcALrkp5GbmZZi3In-O7AmzLaad8085vijT_ATfgbEilYd1rYNyMFV-eSqNhOBXQc107GUaDw98EWEy4wxc0knlgVDUdWBKEn1MGX3WS2fbsFHu0QRukVw-xRrp1osz5YiCZnf5WHM2gqEUYlfohtfReV7k2K3wv340PqgYhVQUqc5mYUjdmcZ8zS69wl1HinJI0s4LSPKJMbHJYXfG1qf2jbZR9YJ1zH-r58O826aYi7DiamEwGqBuT3v5u2CKO2uMsTOTEicIV_0RGCYGxQ53QrMH7Zr1CIFLpX54GWa_odE7KBloLdOzgFbPYwYVgz-pTXPkbRrCCUyNPJz_GdrmGxA-FDCxhe9y2INQ1SQBuv-m9XeM7q1eT2mtCk730GD15rHrjrWBDupJ-NM5X2SeR8gkVQ1FpIfrqK4HGXHrfMFpqon7ndZDrm_JCTKc4sAhrztrTwOjv5i44oCB3FJJsZnIuVXu3pqF8401QoYAQsRX68VqIzrmjyZb3ER11B92cRKvAIbJY4WyzfFuWD7GtEaEvcJaYUaKyEXhAYp0xPVvyvtBkzJ6k0vrrvbLnCP36PtZqwortNzdmkqR2KFABlq34WN7oW4d64b9g1waynOq3ORAUHxej_6JJ2fd6PmlqSzGZqefn9dpRRW4OOzcfP-efVEWMmobBMPYdf-v6lMG4wM5h3tKGuWCRLZUL7ArKg13l9fSf2G2dtJwMLR0qwlEmPK00aetvpcGIQXuXp5zzt9Pp69gNnei1imxNTbJYlEYaQyfWwdmk5TC3_vLNxJhXfDKg__SduL0=w1250-h937-no

Anything else you're interested in? Live music, live sports games, favorite cuisines? Do you like parks/picnics, adult beverages, dancing the night away? Boats, or maybe kayaking? I've lived in the DC/VA area nearly my whole life, feel free to ask me anything.

The Metro (Silver Line) now runs all they way out to Dulles and there are many hotels in Herndon, Reston, Chantilly and Sterling that are close to Silver Line stations and much cheaper than Arlington. Also, most hotels close to D.C. will charge for parking while those in the afore mentioned cities do not.

Most Metro lines are quite safe, though I would avoid portions of the Green and Red lines that are known for issues. I usually ride Metro every day.

We‘ve stayed in the Embassy Suites & I think it was a Hilton right across from that Metro station too. We found it easy to get to all the tourist areas & we have no experience with subways or mass transit. Also felt pretty comfortable walking around the area.

We‘ve stayed in the Embassy Suites & I think it was a Hilton right across from that Metro station too. We found it easy to get to all the tourist areas & we have no experience with subways or mass transit. Also felt pretty comfortable walking around the area.
We've stayed both the Hilton , Embassy Suite and the Hampton Inn. The Metro is so convenient. We used not just to do tourist stuff but to go to baseball & hockey games.

Forgive me for resurrecting this old thread, but we're going to DC next month (2 adults, 2 kids). Any thoughts on the Grand Hyatt next to the Metro Center station? We're only going for 3 nights and plan to visit a couple of monuments/museum on the National Mall.

All the suggestions you've been given sound great and all mentioned would be more convenient than what I'll be mentioning, but this is the budget board and I will mention this just in case you are looking for less expensive accommodations. Twice without a car, we stayed in Bethesda, MD at the Hilton Garden Inn there. It's an eight minute walk to the metro stop there. It's a nice area, but it's further out and hotel prices when we were staying there reflected that big time.

We thought the metro was great and felt super safe on it. Staying somewhere like this means you could be commuting a good 1/2 hour to get places. That worked for us though as we'd go in for the day and just come back at the end of the day, sometimes having dinner in Bethesda, MD. Last time I was paying for multiple rooms and this allowed me to stay in my budget and still have a great trip. All in my extended family were pleased with accommodations.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/wasbtgi-hilton-garden-inn-bethesda-downtown/?SEO_id=GMB-AMER-GI-WASBTGI&y_source=1_MjA4NDkxOS03MTUtbG9jYXRpb24ud2Vic2l0ZQ==

Last edited:
I highly recommend Planet Word. It's a new museum and all exhibits are voice and touch activated. It's free just make a reservation. Great for adults and kids - don't skip the 'library' where they make books come alive with audio and video!

Great timing for this coming back. Staying at the Hotel Washington for work and looking for a recommendation, ideally one that stays under my company's $50 dinner cap but might go a little over. That pretty much takes Old Ebbitt out of the equation if I want anything other than a burger. Anything in that area worthwhile that isn't $40+ per entree?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter