Washington DC Lunch (near Capitol Bldg/Supreme Court)

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
Looking for lunch suggestions in Washington DC near the Capitol building and Supreme Court. We have a morning tour of the Capitol building and are going to the Supreme Court in the afternoon so we would like to stay in the area.

We certainly appreciate any input DIS people might have.
Thanks!

Looking for lunch suggestions in Washington DC near the Capitol building and Supreme Court. We have a morning tour of the Capitol building and are going to the Supreme Court in the afternoon so we would like to stay in the area.

Thanks!
Old Ebbitt Grill is my suggestion. I went to Georgetown and that was always a fun spot to take people. I haven't been there in years, but it's a Washington DC classic. I'm sure others may have more recent experiences/suggestions.

Thanks!

We just visited Washington & the Capital in October. After our tour, we had lunch in the Visitors cafeteria & were amazed at the variety & quality of the food. There was everything from salads, burgers, sandwiches, pastas, multiple hot entrees, the famous Capital bean soup to many tempting desserts. Everything we had was very good. It’s a cafeteria, but a very good cafeteria. If I was in the area, I would go there for lunch even if I wasn’t touring the Capital.

We also went to Old Ebbitt Grill that the PP suggested. It was great too. The food was delicious & the atmosphere certainly memorable, although it is very busy & hectic. However, it’s right near the White House & not close to the Capital. You would have to trek from the Capital to the Grill, then right back where you came from to the Supreme Court. Unless you have time to kill, it doesn’t seem very practical to me. If you need a meal when you’re near the WH, or when you’re done tourimg for the day, it would be great option. Definitely make reservations tho. We were lucky to get a same day late lunch reservation.

Not really a sit-down place but Potbelly Sandwiches is a chain that's relatively inexpensive and they have offers if you sign up for their "perks" account like buy one get one sandwiches/etc.

We just visited Washington & the Capital in October. After our tour, we had lunch in the Visitors cafeteria & were amazed at the variety & quality of the food. There was everything from salads, burgers, sandwiches, pastas, multiple hot entrees, the famous Capital bean soup to many tempting desserts. Everything we had was very good. It’s a cafeteria, but a very good cafeteria. If I was in the area, I would go there for lunch even if I wasn’t touring the Capital.

We also went to Old Ebbitt Grill that the PP suggested. It was great too. The food was delicious & the atmosphere certainly memorable, although it is very busy & hectic. However, it’s right near the White House & not close to the Capital. You would have to trek from the Capital to the Grill, then right back where you came from to the Supreme Court. Unless you have time to kill, it doesn’t seem very practical to me. If you need a meal when you’re near the WH, or when you’re done tourimg for the day, it would be great option. Definitely make reservations tho. We were lucky to get a same day late lunch reservation.

I second this suggestion to eat at the Capitol Visitor Center with 2 caveats...
1. Don't get the burger - my nephew got that when we were there and hated it - his dad agreed it was an awful burger. Might have been an off day, might not. Everyone else liked their food a lot.
2. If you have a dairy allergy, your choices will be limited. If you have both a dairy and tree nut allergy, you will have no main dish choices. But if you have those allergies, you can write in advance and get approved to bring your lunch (I submitted my health records to get the exception and brought them with me b/c security is STRICT). I actually wrote originally to ask what I could eat, and they gave me the exception b/c they knew what their menu was. But this was the best choice I ever made b/c I think I would have had pretzels and a piece of fruit for lunch, which would not have been the most filling or healthiest for a full day of touring.

Fair point. I didn't think about the walking aspect! I think I had the White House in my mind.

Last edited:
Not really a sit-down place but Potbelly Sandwiches is a chain that's relatively inexpensive and they have offers if you sign up for their "perks" account like buy one get one sandwiches/etc.
Not to be difficult but that's basically fast food. I got the impression that the OP wanted something unique to DC.

Thank you everybody for your help!
If you want something quick and relatively inexpensive, we found the cafes at the National Gallery of Art to be the best of the museum cafeterias - either Cascade or Pavilion. It's a little bit of a walk because you have to walk back around the Capitol, but at least it's at that end of the Mall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter