Ways to maximize savings when purchasing direct DVC contract.. (credit card rewards etc)

The 50 points from 250 to 300 are only 148/pt after MB which is why I can't decide if I want them or not. Also depends on what fixed weeks are available and how close they get to 250 or 300.

For anyone buying resale contracts:
Since it doesn't code as travel, what I do is put the maximum amount they will allow on my Chase Freedom Flex card. It's free and earns 1.5% cash back on everything. Then I transfer those chase points to my paid Chase Sapphire reserve, which redeems as 1.5x for travel. So the worst cash back I get anywhere on anything is effectively 2.25%
Do you not mean Freedom Unlimited? I don't think Flex has 1.5% categories as least mine doesn't. Flex 3% dining, drugstores and 5% on the quarterly categories.

Do you not mean Freedom Unlimited? I don't think Flex has 1.5% categories as least mine doesn't. Flex 3% dining, drugstores and 5% on the quarterly categories.
Yes I do! Good catch. So many dang cards lol, I'll go back and fix it.
Edit: fixed now!

The 50 points from 250 to 300 are only 148/pt after MB which is why I can't decide if I want them or not. Also depends on what fixed weeks are available and how close they get to 250 or 300.
Exactly - they know what they're doing w/ the FW game b/c with almost every single combo, I'm either under by 1-2 pts, or over by 25+...and I'm not rounding up on a FW and adding those 1-2 pts 🤣

FYI It looks like the welcome offer for the chase freedom unlimited card is 3% back on everything for the first year up to 20k then the normal 1.5% after that. So you can get a free card that will give 3% instead of paying for one of the sapphire cards if you want chase points

FYI It looks like the welcome offer for the chase freedom unlimited card is 3% back on everything for the first year up to 20k then the normal 1.5% after that. So you can get a free card that will give 3% instead of paying for one of the sapphire cards if you want chase points
The "hack" here is to convert the cash into Chase Ultimate Rewards points by transferring to a Sapphire. The URs can be worth way more than the 3% cash back when used for travel. However, I do agree with you, in that if you don't want to pay an annual fee or aren't into the points game, 3% cash back is the best!

The other thing I would add when buying direct and the 10 day rescind thing ... the 10 days starts from when you docusign.... and you have 30 days to sign your docs... so you really have some time to let buyers remorse set in if you drag your feet on signing :) ... ( or get your CC stuff in order, etc... hehe... )

We're still paying off VGF from the sale last year with no interest. Had multiple Chase cards with the no fee first time My Chase Plan. Opened a few more 0% intro cards with varying cashback rates. I tried to aim for cards that I might use long term instead of just opening them for this one purchase.

One thing I found out the hard way - if you split a purchase into smaller contracts, the downpayment also gets split. I planned my credit card strategy around it being one payment (was going to use my chase plan for it). Thankfully my guide worked with the payment people to get it reversed and on different cards. I just had to scramble to figure it out since I was going to wait a little to open the other cards.

Finally, try to spread the payments over 90 days (10% down, 30% at 30/60/90 days). One guide said best he could do was 60. Guess he didn't want the sale. Found another that gave 90 no problem.

We're still paying off VGF from the sale last year with no interest. Had multiple Chase cards with the no fee first time My Chase Plan. Opened a few more 0% intro cards with varying cashback rates. I tried to aim for cards that I might use long term instead of just opening them for this one purchase.

One thing I found out the hard way - if you split a purchase into smaller contracts, the downpayment also gets split. I planned my credit card strategy around it being one payment (was going to use my chase plan for it). Thankfully my guide worked with the payment people to get it reversed and on different cards. I just had to scramble to figure it out since I was going to wait a little to open the other cards.

Finally, try to spread the payments over 90 days (10% down, 30% at 30/60/90 days). One guide said best he could do was 60. Guess he didn't want the sale. Found another that gave 90 no problem.
Was it only the down payment that gets split or each installment? Buying end of June and planning my CC rewards strategy.

Love it - this is my exact plan and rationale (except I can’t wait until the end of this incentive cycle with a June UY…trying to make peace with that risk 🤣)
My guide told me this week that if you are paying cash or credit card and spreading out the payments that they can adjust incentives at the end of June when new incentives are announced as long as you haven't paid the final payment.

He was trying to get me to buy that day but I'm still waiting until end of June to save a few more dollars for the purchase.

My credit card plan is to use a combination of the Disney Visa Premier, one of the Chase Sapphire cards, and a Chase Business Ink Preferred card. All three cards will be new with respective signup bonuses of $400, $750 (75K points), and $1000 (100k points). The points could be more than the cashback rate listed if I use the sapphire transfer rate and the chase travel portal.

The Disney card gives you 6 months no interest on the DVC purchase. The other two cards should both offer a free my Chase Plan with interest free payments spread over 12 to 24 months. I've read the business card is treated separately from personal cards so you should be eligible for the a free my Chase Plan on both cards.

I'm leaning towards the Sapphire preferred even though it only gets 2% back on DVC as I don't think I'd keep the reserve after the first year, and they come out pretty close in value after accounting for the difference in annual fee. The Business Ink Preferred card offers 3% back on DVC purchase but has a lower annual fee than the sapphire reserve.

I've also heard there may be an additional bonus if you open the sapphire card at a physical Chase branch but haven't confirmed this yet.

My guide told me this week that if you are paying cash or credit card and spreading out the payments that they can adjust incentives at the end of June when new incentives are announced as long as you haven't paid the final payment.

He was trying to get me to buy that day but I'm still waiting until end of June to save a few more dollars for the purchase.
Ooh, that's very interesting - I'm speaking to my guide later today and will ask - thanks for the tip!

Does anyone know when you buy a direct contract if you can use multiple credit cards? If I saw a couple of credit cards that have some silly spend promos (say $5k for a new member spend after opening to get $200 cash back), could I use say 4 different cards to pay Disney a total of $20k on credit card (potentially getting $800 in rewards from various cards)?

Does anyone know when you buy a direct contract if you can use multiple credit cards? If I saw a couple of credit cards that have some silly spend promos (say $5k for a new member spend after opening to get $200 cash back), could I use say 4 different cards to pay Disney a total of $20k on credit card (potentially getting $800 in rewards from various cards)?
They'll split it however you want to so that would work, yes

My credit card plan is to use a combination of the Disney Visa Premier, one of the Chase Sapphire cards, and a Chase Business Ink Preferred card. All three cards will be new with respective signup bonuses of $400, $750 (75K points), and $1000 (100k points). The points could be more than the cashback rate listed if I use the sapphire transfer rate and the chase travel portal.

The Disney card gives you 6 months no interest on the DVC purchase. The other two cards should both offer a free my Chase Plan with interest free payments spread over 12 to 24 months. I've read the business card is treated separately from personal cards so you should be eligible for the a free my Chase Plan on both cards.

I'm leaning towards the Sapphire preferred even though it only gets 2% back on DVC as I don't think I'd keep the reserve after the first year, and they come out pretty close in value after accounting for the difference in annual fee. The Business Ink Preferred card offers 3% back on DVC purchase but has a lower annual fee than the sapphire reserve.

I've also heard there may be an additional bonus if you open the sapphire card at a physical Chase branch but haven't confirmed this yet.
Curious if when you are calculating the difference in annual fee you considered the CSR to be a $550 annual fee or $250 annual fee? Given the $300 travel credit (which would apply to $300 of the DVC purchase), I was comparing an effective $250 annual fee versus a $95 fee (or $45 if you count the CSP hotel credit, which is harder to use). My coffee hasn’t kicked in yet to do the math. 😂 I would then just call to downgrade the CSR after a year if I am not enjoying the other benefits.

The Ink Preferred is great but they gave me quite a small credit limit (not enough to even get the sign up bonus in one cycle) and wouldn’t let me transfer personal credit from the Sapphire to my Ink. My side business is very small, though.

And yes, if you open a Sapphire in branch, apparently you can sometimes get offered an extra 10k in points. Doctor of Credit has the details on it.

Not sure if this applies if one is personal and one is business, but I have heard that it is hard to open more than one new chase card in a 90 day period

I’ve seen confirmation of this on other sites. All in all they said the process was very easy at the branch. As far as the reserve goes you can downgrade your card after the 1st year of you don’t think you’ll want to keep a reserve long term.

My Biz Ink Preferred does not offer chase pay plans, but all my personal cards do. Im not sure if it's just me or if it's due to the product type, so I would see if you can get confirmation somewhere that it does offer it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter