WCC for breakfast/Yachtsman for dinner

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
2 adults --

We were out and about early Thursday. After some shopping we ended up at WL for a pin purchase. But the lure of the smells coming from WCC steered us that way. :teeth:
This was DH's first time to dine at WCC. This was my third, but first time for breakfast. (And last ate lunch there on the 6th.)
We used our DDE card and both ordered the skillet.
DH was very pleased. And even more so probably because we were not too picked on! :lmao: Table for two, back in a corner, kind of hidden away. Even then he sat in the booth next to me. I don't think he wanted to risk it. ;)
The skillet included fresh waffles, bacon, fat sausage links, scrambled eggs, biscuits/gravy and potatoes with onions. I am not an onion person and did not mind the onions in the potatoes. I could taste them, but they were not over powering.
Just coffee (DH) and milk (me) to drink.
WITH tip I think we paid around $25, which we thought was a good deal. We would have paid almost that at IHOP, and not have had as much variety or as good of food.
He liked it better than the Trail's End buffet, as the food is fresh and hot.
It is noisy in there, as to be expected.
Our server was Wandering Wendy and she was just what we needed -- attentive, and not throwing us in the limelight. :thumbsup2

Dinner was at Yachtsman Steakhouse, our first time dining here. It was a mid evening ADR, and I am not use to eating this late. I was not wanting or needing a heavy meal, and I am not a big steak eater. I also like no redness in my meat. And even when I say Well Done, I often get pink inside steaks. (yuck) So I am often leery about ordering steaks.

We each just ordered unsweet ice teas to drink. They do offer quite a selection of hot teas. Many, many types. You would think they were a tea room!

After ordering our meals, a bread basket with two types of bread, whipped butter and roasted (and guessing marinated) garlic spread was brought out. Very tasty and warm bread. And how can roasted garlic be a bad thing -- except to those around you after you leave!? :rotfl2:

DH started with the Lobster Bisque. He said it was VERY good, and had almost a whole lobster (in chunks) in the soup. He thought the price was good, considering the portion and the amount of lobster actually in the soup.

He was leaning towards the Porterhouse, but ordered the Oak-fired Rib-Eye – 16-oz, only because it was served with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes.

He enjoyed the steak, but I think was disappointed in the potatoes. (And he is a real mashed taters kind of guy.) They were not bad. Just not to his liking. And he thought his not caring much for them might be from overindulging in roasted garlic.
I tasted his potatoes. They were very strong with horseradish. We both like horseradish. But this is strong. I told DH a little would go a long way. I would get tired of the taste before too long.
I would also expect creamy pototoes. I could see cream cheese or sour cream with horseradish. But these were simply real potatoes, mashed, with lots of horseradish.
Good, but a little over the top too.

I never heard a word of complaint on the steak. I think he was very pleased.

With my meal, I had also ordered a side of Sautéed Mushroom Caps smothered with sherry and cabernet wine sauce. We shared those, and I still took half of them home and ate them for dinner tonight! :love:

I decided on Free Range Chicken Breast - with white bean puree, artichoke hearts and crumbled feta. I love feta cheese. :love: Between wanting something on the lighter side and wanting to try something different (the bean puree) and feta cheese, I kept going back to that.

What I had was good. The bean puree almost reminded me of hummas, only not as smooth. Almost like mashed up lima beans or something. I like most any kind of bean. So it was good to me.
The feta cheese was skimpy, as was the artichoke heart. (And I mean as in One artichoke heart.) And it was bitter, so no disappointment there was only one. One piece of spinich too. :confused3
The sauce my food was in was great! :love:
Now the chicken -- I don't want to make it sound bad, because it was not. It was juicy and tender. But it was also fatty and on the bone, and came with it's little drumstick poking up in the air. :rotfl2: (It was a small chicken.)
I was surprised for such a nice place that the chicken came on the bone. I was expecting an off-the-chicken-bone breast. It was more like a half of a small chicken. (With baby fat on the outside. :rotfl2: )
Not a disappoinment, but more of a surprise.

I did not eat half my meal and boxed up the remaining. Which made a GREAT dinner for tonight.

But I did manage to force down a dessert last night. :teeth: DH was ready to roll out the restaurant he was so full, so had to pass. We are not use to eating so much in one day.
I ordered Creme Brulee with fresh berries and rolled chocolate. The creme brulee was creme brulee. Nothing noteworthy. What made it good was the fresh strawberry (1), red raspberries and blueberries covering about 1/4 - 1/3 of the dessert. :love:
The rolled up chocolate was white and dark choclate -- and really not very good. Waxy tasting. But I managed to choke it down. :rotfl:

Now -- we had a discount. And DH would like to return. Me -- I enjoyed our meal. But thought it was pricey for what we got. I liked it, glad we went, but not in a hurry to return. Flying Fish is still my favorite restaurant so far.

I wanted to also mention the staff. VERY friendly and professional. :thumbsup2
Even as were leaving they called us by name. Thank you Mrs XXXXXXXX; Good evening Mr XXXXXXX. Good-bye, Good evening, all the way out the door by whatever staff we passed.
And rather than ask something like, "Where are you from?" They say "Haven't we seen you before?" They seemed to go out of their way to make you feel welcomed by being personable, but not nosey or instrusive. Service was top notch.

I also meant to mention that on the dessert menu are several drinks such as cognac and brandy. In addition to sweets, they offered various cheese and fruit platters.
I thought that would be great for those who watch their sugar intake or like nibbling on cheese over cognac. ;) :thumbsup2
I thought it a nice touch.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter