WDW expert, ECV newbie

ksoehrlein

Once (and Future?) CM
Please help! I am helping a friend plan her next WDW vacation, and she is thinking about asking her parents to join her. Her mother uses an ECV, so my friend has had lots of questions for me that I have been unable to answer. But I did know how to find the experts! Can you please help?

First off, they are thinking about flying, probably using SWA. What can my friend do to help ensure that her mom's ECV arrives undamaged without a lot of head-scratching by airport workers? How should they arrange for assistance at the airport, if needed?

Second, they want to stay at All Star Sports. It will be 3 adults and 1 child, so I'm guessing they would prefer to have 2 beds rather than 1 king. Can they get that in an accessible room, or are all accessible rooms King?

Third, which will create the least amount of difficulty: bringing the mom's ECV from home, renting one through an Orlando-area service, or renting one at the parks each day? I advised her that the park ones tend to sell out quickly, but that's all I know.

And how does Magical Express play into all of this? I've read that wheelchair-accessible transportation is available, but will that be able to handle an ECV?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!

ksoehrlein said:
First off, they are thinking about flying, probably using SWA. What can my friend do to help ensure that her mom's ECV arrives undamaged without a lot of head-scratching by airport workers? How should they arrange for assistance at the airport, if needed?
If you go to SWA website, you should be able to find a page about this. We have traveled a lot with a manual wheelchair, but not with anything power.
I'm sure you'll get some advice from expert ECV users.
She should be able to get a skycap to provide a wheelchair to get thru the airport to her gate.
Second, they want to stay at All Star Sports. It will be 3 adults and 1 child, so I'm guessing they would prefer to have 2 beds rather than 1 king. Can they get that in an accessible room, or are all accessible rooms King?
The first question to ask is whether she needs an accessible room. The fully wheelchair accessible rooms have raised seat toilets, rollunder sinks and roll in showers (a shower with a flat floor that a shower chair can be rolled right into). If she doesn't need all these things, she can probably get by with a regular room. You can call WDW Resort Reservations Special number at: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670) for more information on what types of rooms are available.
Third, which will create the least amount of difficulty: bringing the mom's ECV from home, renting one through an Orlando-area service, or renting one at the parks each day? I advised her that the park ones tend to sell out quickly, but that's all I know.
The disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about the off-site places to rent.
bring hers from home
Pluses would be she is familiar with and comfortable driving it, would be available all the time (some of the resorts are very large) and would not cost anything (the airline transports it free of charge).
Negative would be any hassle with the plane, having to transport it to the resort and slight possibility of damage during the trip.
rent from the parks
Plus would be not having to transport it to the parks.
Negatives would be no guarantee of having one when getting to a park or park hopping, cost, getting from the resort to the park without an ecv.
rent from off-site
Plus would be availability at the resort and to get to the parks.
less expensive than renting perr day from the parks, but more expensive than using her own.
And how does Magical Express play into all of this? I've read that wheelchair-accessible transportation is available, but will that be able to handle an ECV?
The same ramps or lifts and tiedowns that are used for wheelchairs can be used for ECVs. She would need to let them know in advance that she will traveling with an ECV so they save one of the spots for her.

If you fly SWA call them and let them know you will be traveling with a scooter. They will let you take your scooter to the gate and gate check it.
You will have to give up the scooter ahead of time and they will give you a wheelchair to use. You have to be at the gate 1 hr before your flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter