WDW parking for non resort guests

Sun Lover

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting WDW for just one day in April. Is the Preferred Parking worth the extra money? The standard rate for the day at all the parks is $30 and the Preferred is $45-55 depending on the date of your visit. The parking lot trams are up and running now but I wonder how much time we would save if we get the Preferred Parking. We will have a group of 12 of us, including 4 young kids. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

For is, we don’t think that the increased cost justifies a few minutes saved. We always end up waiting for transportation to MK. For our kids, riding the tram was part of the fun getting there. I’d save and use the money for extra snacks or souvenirs 😁

As a local who drives to the parks at least once a week, I can tell you that Preferred Parking would especially not be worth it at MK, EPCOT, or DHS. The only park where it could make an enormous difference is DAK. That parking lot is gigantic and has zero shade. The lots at EPCOT and DHS are not very deep, and the trams almost don't feel necessary, even if you're parked in the very back.
For MK/TTC, if you're parked in Preferred, you're not going to be able to take the tram, so you'll have ¼-½-mile walk to the monorail or ferry, negating the time you'd spend on the tram if you parked in Standard parking.

Got to agree with @Ross Kratter above. I'm also local and visit the parks several times a week. The location of preferred parking is closer to the park entrance but the difference doesn't seem to be enough to justify it. If you're going to Epcot you will be walking over 3 miles during the day. Would an extra 5 minutes of walking be too much?

Also agree with his comment about the MK lot. You'll likely see the tram pass you as you walk up to the security checkpoint from preferred parking.

I was going to say just use uber and skip parking entirely - but with 12 people probably not an option.
Also not sure what kind of vehicle you have - but it might be even more to park, IDK.

I have to say - getting an uber from Universal and back was about the same as parking - like $35 with tips.
Obviously that fluctuates - but with those high prices for parking its worth looking at - and most people are probably closer than a Universal Hotel.

I cant imaging paying 30-50 just to park and with ride share at least I can have a drink or two at Epcot.

What time will you be arriving? At most lots, preferred is the first 5-6 rows (closest to the park entrance) and regular parking starts with the row immediately after that. We arrive for rope drop and are generally in the first 2 rows of the regular section.

We plan to arrive about an hour before park opening. We have park hopper passes so we're going to start at DHS, then go to Epcot and end at MK. Do the trams run at all the parks? If so, it sounds like maybe we'll just do the standard parking. How long do you usually wait for the tram?

We plan to arrive about an hour before park opening. We have park hopper passes so we're going to start at DHS, then go to Epcot and end at MK. Do the trams run at all the parks? If so, it sounds like maybe we'll just do the standard parking. How long do you usually wait for the tram?
Yes, trams are running at all four parks. If there’s not a tram waiting as you park, one usually comes right away. They’re very efficient.

Since you are asking about the trams it sounds like you intend to drive to the three parks. First, to answer your specific question, yes they run at all the parks.

But, you can hit all three of those parks easily without having to move your car. When you are done at DHS, you can take the boat or the skyliner (or walk) to Epcot's international gateway. To get from Epcot to the MK, take the monorail to TTC and then to the MK. At the end of the night you can get a bus back to HS.

Since you are asking about the trams it sounds like you intend to drive to the three parks. First, to answer your specific question, yes they run at all the parks.

But, you can hit all three of those parks easily without having to move your car. When you are done at DHS, you can take the boat or the skyliner (or walk) to Epcot's international gateway. To get from Epcot to the MK, take the monorail to TTC and then to the MK. At the end of the night you can get a bus back to HS.
You can also get buses after 10AM from DHS to whatever park you want to go to next.

I usually go to AK from DHS and end the day at Epcot.
I think MK is an option as well - or at least a bus to TTC - been some changes in the last few years.
There is little for me at DHS especially with the RnR Coaster closed, so if I get early entry I'm ready to go by 10.

From Epcot you can get the boat to DHS.

And you can walk from Epcot to the DHS parking lot (or take a ferry or Skyline, depending on operating hours) via the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. That can be useful on days where DHS closes early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter