WDW Railroad and Wheelchair Question

dialane

Mouseketeer
I am taking my 77 year old Uncle to WDW in a couple of weeks. He doesn't normally use a wheel chair, but I am planning on using a wheelchair for him on the days that his feet are hurting and he doesn't feel up to walking or in the eveings when he is tired from a day in the parks. He especially wants to ride the train at Magic Kingdom and my question is this. If we rent a wheelchair at the entrance of MK and then later go to ride the train - leaving the wheel chair at Main Street Station and getting off in Toontown - where is the closest location to pick up a wheel chair from there? Will he have to walk a great distance? I would like to be able to get off in Toontown - proceed to Tomorrowland and have a bite to eat at Cosmic Ray's but I want to make sure that he can get a replacement chair without too great a distance of walking. Anyone know where to get the replacement chair? Thanks for the advice!!

mickeyfan2 said:
They have a special car that he can stay in the wheel chair and ride.
::yes::
The first car behind the engine is the wheelchair car. In place of the row of seats that faces front, there is an empty space that wheelchairs can park in.

Many people don't realize that there is a ramp to get up to the Main Street Station. It is on the side closest to the City Hall. Looking at this map, go straight down (toward the train) from the "M" in Main Street USA. The ramp is fairly steep and has a couple of switchbacks, but it gets you up to the wheelchair boarding area.
You can also choose to fold the rental wheelchairs and hold them on the train seats if you choose. But, you will still need to use the ramp to get up to the Main Street Station.
The Toontown Station is the easiest, there is a not very steep ramp to get on and off the train.

Thanks for the responses, however, my Uncle doesn't want to ride the train in the wheelchair. We just want to get on the train and then pick up a replacement at the Toontown stop. Can anyone tell me where to pick up the replacement?

i think they just do that for strollers... not wheel chairs.. I suppose he could stand in the regular line and someone from the family could ride in the front with the empty chair?

There are a few wheelchair replacement places listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities:
Frontier Trading Post in Frontierland® (replacement location)
Mickey's Gift Station at Ticket and Transportation Center (limited quantities)
Stroller and Wheelchair shop inside Main Entrance (also rents ECVs)
Tinkerbell's Treasures in Fantasyland® (replacement location)
Tomorrowland Arcade (replacement location)

if he doesnt want to ride in his wc, and it folds, then you can fold it and just ride in an ordinary seat.

what would we do without sue m??? :confused3

we'd be lost because of bad advice!!!! thank you Sue for correcting my response - absolutley spot on! :thumbsup2

SueOKW said:
what would we do without sue m??? :confused3

we'd be lost because of bad advice!!!! thank you Sue for correcting my response - absolutley spot on! :thumbsup2
It's nice when the useless information you know is useful to someone.

Thanks everyone for taking time to give me some advice. I didn't even think of loading the wheel chair empty! And if we don't do that I'll attempt to pick up a replacement in Frontierland. Or, as a last resort, we may just stay on the train for a round trip ride all the way around and back to the station!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter