WDW Should Not Open in July. Discuss.

Should WDW open in July?

• Yes. I'd definitely go if I had the chance.

Votes: 133 26.3%
  • No. Not in July, but I would go before a vaccine is available.

Votes: 203 40.2%
  • No. Not in July, and I won't feel safe going until there is a vaccine.

Votes: 169 33.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I was really glad I didn't have to make those long, heroic touchdown runs any more!

"Jim's at the 140. 130, 120...he's inside the 100!...to the 80...to the 50...Uh oh, I think he just collapsed!"
Then you would have been in as good as shape as soccer players. :tiptoe:

No, the science tells us that fomite transfer has been undocumented. Does not mean whether it happens or does not happen. No tests conducted, so no idea to say definitely. Why even bother to wash hands or use sanitizer if touching a contaminated surface is unlikely to result in an infection?
Direct transfer from person to person is the accepted primary mode, though.

This crosses into "can't prove a negative" territory - we can establish how long the virus can be detected on surfaces, and we can establish how long it remains viable enough to reproduce in cultures under lab conditions, but there is no ethical way to prove or disprove whether those samples on surfaces are adequate to cause infection because that would involve exposing healthy people to the virus. So the best we can do is go by the real-world data on spread, as established by those jurisdictions that are doing thorough contact tracing... and that data shows an absence of new infections that are not traceable to other cases.

As far as "why wash/sanitize?", well, unlikely isn't the same as impossible and good hygiene during a pandemic is just common sense. It is a 100% painless way to err on the side of caution, so what sense would there be in not making that recommendation?

I asked it in more a rhetorical way because all I see is how selfish Americans are. And we are - I'm not disputing that. But the hypocrisy of it always being Americans who are the selfish ones and the true disgust with everything about our country right now, when other countries have the same issues gets to be a bit much sometimes. Especially when there are plenty of us who ARE following the rules. And that for many of us, we're equally as upset and frustrated with our leadership (or lack there of). You've pointed it before, so I know you get what I'm saying.

I had heard about the quarantine hotel (maybe from somebody here) and was just reading about the 6 weeks shut down for Melbourne! That is crazy. And something important for us all to keep in mind - it can go south very quickly.
That was my point as well. Those living in places like Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand have all their share of people behaving badly, and it takes just once incident to turn things around. In Germany the Berlin clubs hosted a floating party on the Spree during quarantine; New Zealand had the women who broke quarantine for a funeral I believe, and the shopper; Australia had the horny security guards and willing quarantiners. There is no point in being smug or superior, because we have all had our share and there is no guarantee this won't occur again in future. Google 'Durdle Door' to see one example in the UK.

I'm actually quite (pleasantly?) surprised to be able to have these conversations here. When I stopped posting/reading about a decade ago, there was a decidely xenophobic odour here. At the same time, many of the posts now would have received sharp replies and claims of 'anti-Americanism'. It's refreshing to be able to discuss differences and share ideas without that in the background. But at the same time, it's also a bit disappointing to see the smugness from some, or the outright straight forward comments. (I glanced at another thread and saw that today)

With a few exceptions, I think that this is not the group of Americans who are creating challenges. This is not the right audience to say 'smarten up, you suck!' because most people know they are facing a big challenge. To me it feels like kicking people when they are down. If I do something wrong in my life, I punish myself for a long time. I don't need someone to come and remind me about how I failed....

I really, really, want you to success in the US. We need you.

Soccer players jog. Football players run.

Same thing is true of ice sports. "If figure skating were easy, we'd call it 'hockey.'"
But, the average time spent running on the field by an average NFL starter is only about 5 minutes for the entire game. :P And linemans aren’t running all the time, either. They’re just having a backyard strong man competition.

This crosses into "can't prove a negative" territory - we can establish how long the virus can be detected on surfaces, and we can establish how long it remains viable enough to reproduce in cultures under lab conditions, but there is no ethical way to prove or disprove whether those samples on surfaces are adequate to cause infection because that would involve exposing healthy people to the virus. So the best we can do is go by the real-world data on spread, as established by those jurisdictions that are doing thorough contact tracing... and that data shows an absence of new infections that are not traceable to other cases.

As far as "why wash/sanitize?", well, unlikely isn't the same as impossible and good hygiene during a pandemic is just common sense. It is a 100% painless way to err on the side of caution, so what sense would there be in not making that recommendation?

Please link me to data on those jurisdictions with thorough contact tracing showing no community spread.

And, disagree on washing hands being just “good hygiene.” What do you exactly mean by “good hygiene?” Again, if you’re not concerned about surface contamination, you shouldn’t have to worry about washing hands and sanitizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter