WDW Wheelchair + Seatbelt?

mfly

DIS Veteran
We're bringing my brother to WDW for 2 park days next month. He is physically capable of walking, but a wheelchair/stroller has proven invaluable in past trips as it provides him with a safe/comfortable bubble to exist in.

We're thinking about just renting a wheelchair at the parks, as he will be able to manage walking to/from transportation, and I think having a wheelchair on the bus, etc. will be more overwhelming for him than otherwise.

I see that the wheelchairs indicate first-come-first-serve. I assume they just say that as a precaution, but has anyone ever had an experience where they were unable to get one?

Also, any suggestions for a strap or seatbelt of some sort that could be used? I assume there is not one built into the WDW rental wheelchairs. He just does much better when he's self-contained and strapped in (by his own preference).

I rent a wheelchair for my daughter every trip and I’ve never seen them run out (granted I’ve never gone during incredibly busy times like Christmas week).
The WDW wheelchairs do not have seatbelts. I’ve seen people use gait belts as makeshift wheelchair seatbelts.

I rent a wheelchair for my daughter every trip and I’ve never seen them run out (granted I’ve never gone during incredibly busy times like Christmas week).
The WDW wheelchairs do not have seatbelts. I’ve seen people use gait belts as makeshift wheelchair seatbelts.
ECVs run out most days by mid-morning, but they are much less likely to run out of wheelchairs. EPCOT is the easiest to actually see the number of wheelchairs available to rent; I've never gone by and not seen lots of wheelchairs there.
I was also going to suggest a gait belt - good idea

One more thing to think about for renting off-site. You can bring a wheelchair on the bus, use the back door entrance, but not have the driver fasten it down. Many people fold the wheelchair and hold it on the bus like a stroller

Thank you! The gait belt idea is a great one. I'll look into that!
ECVs run out most days by mid-morning, but they are much less likely to run out of wheelchairs. EPCOT is the easiest to actually see the number of wheelchairs available to rent; I've never gone by and not seen lots of wheelchairs there.
I was also going to suggest a gait belt - good idea

One more thing to think about for renting off-site. You can bring a wheelchair on the bus, use the back door entrance, but not have the driver fasten it down. Many people fold the wheelchair and hold it on the bus like a stroller
The primary reason we're avoiding off-site is because it's such a short trip - and a wheelchair rental in the parks itself should meet our needs. Thanks!

Hi! Did you park hop on any of these trips? If so, were you able to get a wheelchair on your second park? Thanks

Hi! Did you park hop on any of these trips? If so, were you able to get a wheelchair on your second park? Thanks
Hello. Yes we park hop- just bring the receipt to the second park and get another one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter