WDW with a British accent

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWPinCollector

Earning My Ears
After having spent a least a dozen days at WDW since the purchase of my FL resident AP in December, 2006, I'm having difficulty spending one day in the parks w/o hearing one of many British accents at least 20 times a day.

Yesterday on one occasion in the MK it was, "I fink we'll do Splash Mountain, love." On another occasion it was, "Space Mountain was ghastly."

I know there is a Disney park much closer to the UK than the one in LBV, so I'l ask the following questions with the hope that someone can clue me in.

1. Do the British generally like WDW more than Disneyland Paris? If so, why?
2. Do the British prefer to come here than to go to DP because they dislike the French (or "frogs" as some British call them)?
3. Do the British fly here because there isn't a language barrier as there might be in Disneyland Paris?
4. Are the British afraid to take Eurostar over to France because the train is in a tunnel for 20 minutes under the English Channel? Similarly, is a 7-hour transatlantic flight more pleasant than a 3-hour train ride?
5. Is the rate of exchange between the pound and the dollar better than between the pound and the euro?
6. Do the British tend to fly here because Sanford airport is owned by the same operators as London Luton, Cardiff International and Belfast International?

And finally, with regard to the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes, this struck me as very interesting:

"Void outside the fifty (50) United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and where prohibited by law."

Hmm, the United Kingdom....

6. Why not include, say, Australia, Italy or Brazil?
7. If a family from New Zealand is in WDW and is chosen at random to win a prize as part of the YOAMD sweepstakes, and it is discovered that the family is not from one of the above countries or locales, is the prize retracted?

Thanks.

After having spent a least a dozen days at WDW since the purchase of my FL resident AP in December, 2006, I'm having difficulty spending one day in the parks w/o hearing one of many British accents at least 20 times a day.

Yesterday on one occasion in the MK it was, "I fink we'll do Splash Mountain, love." On another occasion it was, "Space Mountain was ghastly."

I know there is a Disney park much closer to the UK than the one in LBV, so I'l ask the following questions with the hope that someone can clue me in.

2. Do the British prefer to come here than to go to DP because they dislike the French (or "frogs" as some British call them)?
3. Do the British fly here because there isn't a language barrier as there might be in Disneyland Paris?
4. Are the British afraid to take Eurostar over to France because the train is in a tunnel for 20 minutes under the English Channel? Similarly, is a 7-hour transatlantic flight more pleasant than a 3-hour train ride?
5. Is the rate of exchange between the pound and the dollar better than between the pound and the euro?
6. Do the British tend to fly here because Sanford airport is owned by the same operators as London Luton, Cardiff International and Belfast International?

And finally, with regard to the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes, this struck me as very interesting:

"Void outside the fifty (50) United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and where prohibited by law."

7. If a family from New Zealand is in WDW and is chosen at random to win a prize as part of the YOAMD sweepstakes, and it is discovered that the family is not from one of the above countries or locales, is the prize retracted?

Thanks.

well I'll try to answer for you as a person who lived 18 years in the UK ...

1)Brits much prefer WDW Florida - its bigger, better, the WEATHER is better, Paris doesnt feel like a "vacation" so much as WDW Florida does.

2)Dont know about others but I speak French, and I love French food so it being in France doesnt faze me.

3)no - dont think so

4) no - some people may be scared but they could just then hop on a flight to Pairs .... I think the main reason is Florida is MORE of a vacation, better weather, loads of things to do, and the Brits love many things American!

5)Oh yes!! its almost 2 dollars to the pound (thank Mr Bush for that one - and the billions on the war effort) making the US relatively cheap for the Brits

6)They fly into Sandford because budget tour operator carriers such as ThomasCook and Air2000 cannot pay for the fees at MCO and Sandford is cheaper to land into and use - therefore keeping their costs down and lowering costs for the customers. BA and Virgin and the main carriers will always use the main airports whereas the budget carriers tend to utilise the satellite airports to minimise outlays and overheads.

7)Not a clue!!

Hello I am british and will answer your questions:

Yes because WDW and surrounding area has a lot more to offer i.e The 4 parks, waterparks, downtown Disney. As well as Seaworld, universal etc on the outside. Also you would not believe this but WDW is a lot cheaper to stay at than Eurodisney. WDW for 14 nights flying with virgin is costing us £2750 (5,413) with tickets for whole stay. Eurodisney Quote £1349 ($2,655) only for 4 days by coach 3 day park ticket and day in paris.

I don't dislike the french at all but hated learning it at school and still can't get along with it.

I would say yes, its a bonus for us as we feel more comfortable and also the people are more friendly.

No never bothered me at all.

The dollor is excellent value at the moment.

No never thought of that.

6. Why not include, say, Australia, Italy or Brazil? Haven't a clue

???? Can't answer that one.

Well lets give this one a go shall we...as a resident of the UK, coming to Florida to WDW is, for me, the most magical experience ever! To me, Florida = Disney :goodvibes

As much as we have Disneyland Paris near enough right on our doorstep, it's not as cheap for us to go there as people think, for what we pay to go to there for 5 nights, we're already half way to Florida, which I have to say is far more appealing, and not just for Disney. I love Florida for the weather, the people there as so friendly and the whole atmosphere is one of excitment!

As for the questions...

I do generally prefere WDW above Disneyland Paris, this is because it all just feels more magical, as I mentioned above, the weather is better, the people are friendly and I just believe that there's an allround more magical feeling!
I don't dislike the French, they are lovely people, I've been to Paris twice and never had a problem at all, even with communications. If you attempt to speak French, even if not well, the French people will try to help, even if they end up speaking English, but because you've taken the time to attempt to speak French, they will in return speak English!
See above!
I think every person loves to board a plane when going on holiday, it just gives that more of a 'holiday' feel than boarding a train. I've never tried the Eurostar, so I cannot comment on that service.
The exchange rate between the pound and dollar is at present very good, I got some travellers cheques last weekend for $1.89 to our £1. Which is fantastic! The Euro to the Pound is much steadier, and the exchange rate is never as good.
I never knew the Sanford Airport was owned by London Luton and the likes, I just fly there because it's Flordia!! And basically it's where the plane takes me, I don't usually have much choice in the matter...:lmao:

Sorry if I've gone on too long...just saw the length of this post...!!

I choose WDW in florida for many reason's, mainly the weather, price and general enjoyment of going somewhere different for my trip. There are so many other attractions in Florida other than Disney that are close to each other, whereas in Paris its just Disney or Paris City if you want to travel. DLP just don't have the atmosphere as WDW in Florida or DL in California.

I don't always go to Florida, I have visited other States such as Arizona, Utah, Deep South, California, Nevada and these all give me as much enjoyment as Florida. I also go to European countries. I just like visiting other countries.

As to Sandford, I have never flown into this airport, as always flown scheduled into MCO via Virgin

I have 1 question for WDWPinCollector, do you not like British being in your State and generating income?

I went to Disneyland Paris and it's NOTHING compared to WDW!!! Nothing in the least! We went for the day....Disneyland Paris doesn't have 20 resort hotels, doesn't have Epcot, MGM, or Animal Kingdom, doesn't have Pleasure Island or west side... doesn't have all the recreation that WDW has... Maybe this is why WDW is more popular than Disneyland California too...
Brits come over here (IMO) for the same reason us Americans all go to WDW!:goodvibes

I agree with most of whats said above. I first visited WDW when I was 9 (now 34) and in those days my Dsis and I were regularly stopped and asked questions by Americans just so they could hear our accents now you're complaining there's too many of them :rotfl2: BTW whenever I visit London about half the tourist accents you hear are American :laughing:

I noticed a lot of british accents on our 2 trips to wdw too..There was one middle aged woman there with her husband and 2 teenage daughters and it seemed that everytime I was doing my laundry she was doing hers as well, so I spent a good amount of time talking to her. By the end of our trip I caught myself picking up on her accent..Very nice people by the way!!

To all of the Brits (or British, as I am unsure of which title you prefer), I for one, enjoy hearing the accents. I will purposely start conversations w/ you because I enjoy hearing the accent so much. And of course, I have one standard question that I always ask someone from Great Britian...to date, all but one person has given me the same exact response which I find very interesting. I also ask a couple of other questions about GB just out of curiousity's sake. As far as I'm concerned feel free to visit WDW as much as you want. In this case, it's beyond the statement "It's a free country" it should be "It's a free world."

To Shazmart:

Oh, I love it when foreigners come to Florida...though I must say that WDW isn't Florida. I lived for a while in South Florida near Fort Lauderdale and rarely, if ever, heard a British accent, and there are plenty of touristy things to do there and it's actually warmer than Orlando in the winter.

Further, people of other generally colder locales such as Scandinavia enjoy warm weather, too. Why am I not hearing Swedish accents or Swedish, for example, at every turn?

What I find odd is that I hear the British accent more often than any other accent...the disproportion is huge...that's why I asked if there was some reason why the British came here as opposed to Finns, French, Italians, Germans, Hungarians, etc. Of course the fact that the Year of a Million Dreams sweepstakes is open to residents of the UK but not to residents of Germany, Norway, New Zealand, Japan, etc. peaked my interest. Is it discriminatory? Probably.

Finally, I would think that Disneyland Paris would be more appealing--after all many of the Disney characters came from French fables.

Cendrillon - Cinderella
Blanche Neige et les sept nains - Snow White and the seven dwarfs
La Belle au bois dormant - Sleeping Beauty

Like everyone else says why pay all that money to go to France for a few days when you can get to Florida for a little more for 14 days!!! I am from Scotland and have found everyone very friendly whilst standing in line for the rides. There is always someone in the US who has some relative who has scottish origins or have worked with the US army. Navy, etc in scotland. I live near to the old US Navy base at Edzell in Angus and most Americans lived around the Brechin area whilst serving there. Brechin is like a ghost town now that the base has closed.

Well, I'm not from Britain, but Disneyland Paris is also MUCH closer to my home then WDW... I can drive to Paris in 4,5 hours... Disneyworld is a looooong flight :) Even though I haven't been to WDW yet, I think you can't compare them.
Although I love DLP, I hope I'll be even more impressed by WDW :goodvibes

I LOVE hearing the different accents at WDW!!!! I have talked with many of the people and found them to be very friendly, polite and eager to speak with me. I am pleased to share my most favorite place in the world WITH the world!! I have to say that the British are the most talkative and very friendly. I have met some that were truly funny people!!!! So, come ahead all you UK people!!!

I'm having difficulty spending one day in the parks w/o hearing one of many British accents at least 20 times a day.
How do British accents create difficulties for you?

Let us in on your ancestry so we can have a go at their accents!

Your post was rude and offensive!

Why would you care if people from England, came to WDW and not France?
If I had the chance to to to WDW with a AP I would be happy to see and hear people from other areas enjoy the USA!
And I would make the USA a welcome and happy place for them to enjoy and spend money!
I lived in England for 5 years and in France for 1 year, the people who welcomed me and helped me out when I did not understand something made my life overseas much better! And I now tell other people how wonderful England is and they should visit! I would hate for some one to come to the US and say they were sooo rude, Don't go to WDW!

hey nothing wrong with us brits!:cool1:

Its a tourist place, you are bound to get loads of everyone from everywhere there!!:)

Well Im actually quite impressed you can pick out our accents as we are so diverse.
I'm from the North Of England and Im always mistaken as Irish.:rotfl:
DH is always mistaken as German:rotfl: when in fact we are from Liverpool in England.
I love Florida, and WDW in Orlando especially.
We brits are a bit mad when it comes to Disney and DLP is great for 4 or 5 days but for a longer break WDW wins everytime.

Obviously, I can only speak for myself and my family - and not the millions of other Brits ;) but I'll certainly give you our perspective.

We have never really wanted to go to Disneyland Paris - not sure why but I suspect the fact that it's in Europe is probably a big downer for us, you're not necessarily going to get nice weather and it's expensive.

:rotfl: My husband is not a big fan of the French. Personally, I don't have anything against them but I do find the French to be particularly rude and arrogant. Having said that, both my husband and I had a similar opinion of Americans until we first went to Orlando - obviously, we have not seen all of America (or even a tiny (or real) bit of it) but almost all the Americans we came across were friendly, polite and not in the least bit arrogant.

The language 'barrier' doesn't bother me at all. I think it's fair to say that there are a few differences between the US and British 'language' too.

It's actually nearer an 8 or 9 hour transatlantic flight and I certainly don't find it pleasant - it's more of a means to an end. The Eurotunnel journey wouldn't bother me but the 5 or 6 hour drive to get on the train would :rolleyes: If we did got to DLP, we would probably fly there.

It's not so much that it's better but that you get more for your dollar in the US than you do for your Euro in Europe :thumbsup2

No idea what the answer to that one is. We have been to Orlando 4 times now and have flown into MCO all but one of those times. The Charter (cheaper) flights tend to go into Sanford but the major airlines (Virgin and BA) fly into MCO.

I have no idea??? But I'm not complaining that people from the UK are eligible - usually we aren't eligible for competitions run in the US.

Again, no idea :confused3

I hope your experience of Brits int he parks has been a positive one, even if you do find our accents quite funny. And we don't all say 'fink' - some of us can pronounce our 'th's' properly :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter