WDW with an air cast??

areno79

DIS Veteran
It's official, 9 yo DC tore a ligament in her ankle when she tripped up the stairs this weekend. :rolleyes: She's broken it once, fractured it, and sprained it, all within a year of each other. Anyway, the doc gave her an air cast, which she'll have to wear through our trip. (We leave next Friday!). She won't need crutches, but the doc said to make sure she takes frequent breaks. Also, she can take it off to go in the pool, so that's a relief. I apologize for my ignorance, I don't even know what an air cast looks like! Does anyone have any tips for me as to touring the parks? TIA!

I have no idea what an aircast is but why not rent her a wheelchair so she can get off her feet when she needs to. We did this with my grandfather and he ended up pushing me around on it when I was younger, but it gave him the opportunity to rest when needed.

Having had to wear an "air cast" after 10 months in fiberglass!

Make sure you take a plastic bag and rubberband large enough to go around the boot and her leg if you want to go on water rides!

She may have a problem with the cast "striking" when she walks...take something to pad the area between her leg and the cast.

Have the wheelchair handy as limping on an air cast causes you to put pressure on different parts of your body and you can get quite tired and a little muscle soreness from walking so strange.

Other than that she should be fine! I was...and I went to the lake...concerts...etc...etc...etc

Here's a picture of an ankle air cast.
You would think from the name, that it would look sort of like a baggie full of air, but most air casts look pretty much like the other picture or like this one.
Depending on her size, she may find a wheelchir is not the most comfortable. From what I know, Disney has a very limited number of child/small addult wheeelchairs. If you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, you might be able to borrow a wheelchair from the resort. They are first come, first serve and what is available at your resort might not be appropriate for her.
If she's small, a park stroller might work out and has the advantage of having a canopy. CMs have posted that the largest size will fit up to a small 12 yr old. You can get more "room" by renting a double. The only problem I can see with a stroller is that crawling out of it might be a bit difficult with her ankle.

The link posted for the pic of the air cast is only one type of air cast. I was in an air cast for over 8 years. Here's what mine looked like:

01P-Lsm.jpg

For me, it really wasn't a big deal. I walked normal (atleast for the first few years). You can un-velcro it and take it off for swimming, showers and such. If it got wet, I just let it dry or took a hair dryer to it. Water didn't ruin it. This one comes with a long sock to wear under it so nothing rubs. I personally didn't like the sock and never needed it.
Tell her good luck with everything and have fun!!

Thanks for the tips! The doctor says she'll be fine for walking (he knows we're going to WDW), but that we should take breaks and sit down every so often. That's a good tip about the plastic bag, I'll have to check and see what type of air cast she has :)

Nice to know that she could walk...having to walking around on that place is the best way to enjoy it...so have a happy trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter