We are back!! (to back) - Galveston December 3rd - 13th - Completed

Sunday, Dec 12th - At sea day

We had a bit of a later start this morning and didn’t get up until gone 8:30 am. It was our last day and so the last chance to have that lazy morning! :teeth::teeth: Another beautiful day outside on our verandah, but we didn’t have much time to take it in as the rest of the crew were already up and about and ready for breakfast and we wanted to join them. :yay:

Cabanas again this morning as Scott and I were later, plus I think there was something we all had in mind to make sure we had sufficiently eaten our weight in food for breakfast! LOL Scott’s plate and then mine. I obviously decided I had not quite had enough eggs benedict yet. :rotfl2:

Our serving team were there for breakfast this morning so we chatted with them and took our time. I decided to go healthy and get some fruit, which Mum and I shared.

And of course fruit has to be followed with these :banana: which nobody shared or I would have stabbed them with my fork! :laughing:

We ambled down to Cove to see what was going on and we found a good spot to sit and hang out for a bit. The bright blue sky was definitely more of a grey sky at this point. Quick group selfie and you can see the clouds in the background. :umbrella::umbrella:

It wasn’t long before the skies opened and we had a good shower of rain. The day didn’t look like it was going to be too promising weather-wise at all, so we started to talk about plans for the day that didn't involve sitting at the pool.

In the end, we decided to go down and start the much dreaded packing, but Dean was still working on our cabins so Scott grabbed the backgammon set and we went and sat in French Quarter Lounge to pass some time instead. Here’s an elevator picture, because evidently I wasn’t doing well on taking photos today and decided this was important. :rolleyes: :rotfl:

We met Das again (beverage manager guy – not so much cricket guy :lmao:) and chatted with him for a bit. We also got some coffee while a couple of games of backgammon were played and then all went to go and pack. Scott and I got a surprise of this cute Magical Moment package from the photo team in our cabin – all those goofy pictures were firmly implanted in someone’s brain! :crazy2:

I had to take the extension cord back to guest services that we had borrowed on the first cruise. :eek::eek: It never crossed my mind to take it back between the two but they were able to sort it out for me so that I didn’t get charged for “stealing it” from the first cruise. :thumbsup2 I also got the added tips for our servers and stateroom host taken care of while I was there. Cute Christmas tree at guest services along with the pens. Did anyone ever expect that we would live in a world where we would be separating pens between clean and dirty???? :confused3:sad2::confused3

Scott and I got packed pretty quickly and went to chat with the others. Paul was ready for something to eat as he had had a very light breakfast and we decided on Cabanas again as it was so wet on the pool deck. Yelena and Kemar from our first cruise were working up there and so we were able to chat with them. They were having a really slow cruise as there were so few passengers that there was no second seating for their serving team. Once they got done with first seating they were done for the night. So basically, half the tips for the entire 6 night, and their tips are already half of what they normally would make. It’s so hard on the crew right now. :worried: Meanwhile, Cabanas was serving curry, so despite the fact only Paul was hungry, Scott, Maureen and I all had a bite. So. Much. Curry!! :rotfl:

One of the servers decided to make Mum a rose out of a napkin just to be sweet. :flower3: He made it to the photo reel due to just being so nice!! :hug:

More backgammon was on the cards in Crown & Fin and they already had the set with them so we left Cabanas to go straight there. Well, maybe not straight there….maybe a quick pit stop. :earseek:

With it being a Sunday, there was football being shown and it was Dallas and Washington so there were way more people in the bar, and the servers were fairly busy. ::yes:: Backgammon...again. :upsidedow

Cloudy and grey outside still. It’s pretty common during the winter months going in and out of Galveston.

A lady from one of our "rival" trivia teams stopped by and brought us these cute key chains and magnets. We had been having good natured fun with them during almost all of the adult trivia sessions. They kept swearing that they had kids, but we never saw them with kids until this last day and then the kids finally materialized. :joker::joker: We had a good time messing around with them all week. So, she decided to sprinkle some random pixie dust of stuff that she makes – so cute!!

We headed upstairs again at about 4 pm. Here are some quick photos I took along the way and you can see how empty the ship was. 4 pm on the last at sea day, and, remember it’s cruddy weather outside…crazy stuff. :magnify::magnify::magnify::magnify:

Back upstairs, and a look outside to see what was going on – more of the same. Grey skies, although there was a touch of sun trying to sneak through...waves, always awesome :thumbsup2....and a random tanker. :rotfl:The temperature was starting to drop, but not as cold as it had been on the last cruise thankfully.

We got the last few things packed in our carry on bags with just those last minute toiletries etc. left to put in in the morning. :cool:

And then it was time for the traditional prosecco/wine to congratulate ourselves on working so hard. ::yes:::rotfl2:

Scott and I (and maybe Paul – I don’t remember and like an idiot, I decided to stop writing notes half way through today :furious:) went to Shutters to check on the photographs and see if everything had made it to my account. To be honest, I don’t think I would know if they didn’t. :rotfl: They had some kind of family entertainment going on in D Lounge and Joy was there so we dropped into the back and watched for a little bit, but it was pretty much at the end. Robyn from Dublin was the host.

No sunset tonight, but the horizon was starting to fill with the typical tanker and platform/rig lights signaling that we were approaching the Texas coast. Not a great photo but it’s making it into this report because it’s the only one I got. Evidently trip reporting was taking a nose dive today. :sad2::P

We decided to go to Cadillac Lounge and get a drink as we hadn’t visited there with Paul this cruise. Paul and I asked them to make us the Tropical Flower drink we had had in a Mixology session several years ago. I keep the recipe on my iphone - which is pretty much confirmation you have a drinking problem I think! :rotfl2: They didn’t have any honey pearls made up to use, so this one wasn’t quite as good, but we kept the tradition alive. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Then it was off to our last trivia session in Azure. It was another Disney Villains trivia and we were equally as horrible as we had been in the previous ones, even though we should have been able to remember some of the stuff! :headache:

But…trivia and drinks go hand in hand. Here’s the Tropical Flower drinks and Scott’s Manhattan.

From trivia we went up to take a look through the gift shops one more time. Lloyd who had been one of our servers in Crown & Fin was working in Preludes so we grabbed a quick photo with him. Scott was missing – I’m thinking he went to drop off the backgammon in our cabin but I could be totally making that up. :laughing::laughing:

Tonight dinner was in Animator’s and we had the animation show. We all got busy getting our drawings done. Here’s mine and it's probably pretty much identical to all the others that I have done in the past, I'm not very creative! :lmao:

And then two bowls of curry showed up.:scared1: One was vegetable and the other was a lentil curry. They were both very, very good. ::yes::

Here’s a cute picture of the main mouse in the short prelude show before they serve entrees.

I had ordered the rack of lamb and Scott ordered beef wellington. I feel like exploding just writing all of this now. :crazy2::rotfl: I know I just about managed to eat half the lamb before I had to just throw in the towel on the food.

Kemar came to visit with us while we were eating, which was much to Maggie's disgust as she hates sharing "her guests". It was nice of him to come and say good bye though and we wished him all the best in his endeavors to become a head server. I have a feeling he will make it very soon as he's just "excellent"!! :rotfl2:We also managed to squeeze in getting some photos with Maggie and I Kadek before the show started.

And then Maggie kicked I Kadek out of this one so it would be just her and us. :laughing:

We stayed to watch the animation show, but didn’t have any room for dessert. Shocker!! :lmao:

There were no photographers set up in the atrium tonight so we decided to take a quick stroll around on deck 4 before going upstairs. There was another cruise ship that was out there as well. Not great photos again – but they are here anyway.

When we walked into our cabins we had a surprise waiting for us from Das. pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust: There was a Frozen soft sided cooler in both of our cabins along with a Mickey plush and a photograph of all of us for Mum and Maureen, and a bottle of wine for Scott and I. We were spoiled rotten on this cruise for sure between the curry and the pixie dust.

Of course, the rabbit was holding the comment card. Silly rabbit. 8-)

I think Scott and I sat up for a little while and polished off the bottle of prosecco we had open before calling it a night. Sigh…why do all cruises just go so fast?:rolleyes:

Coming up: Debarkation...blahh...

That's a shame the weather wasn't so great on your final sea day. Luckily, you all found a way to fill the day :rotfl2: :p

What a lovely surprise to come back to in your cabin that night! :love:

I think that the cooler looks so fun!
Yes, this is typical coastal Texas for ya... cloudy and gloomy -- but only for 5 minutes (you've gotta live here to understand)!! Debarkation -- meh.

Thanks for sharing!

Monday, Dec 13th - Debarkation.

I slept off and on as we headed back into Galveston overnight. No real reason other than I knew we had to get ourselves up and off the ship. :guilty: By 7:30 am I was awake and decided to peer outside and just confirm that we actually were back and they really were going to kick us off. :laughing: All the usual Galveston "land marks" were still there.

Paul had plans to get off the ship as soon as they announced we were cleared for customs and immigration, which was right around 7:30 am. His wife and two boys had just flown over from the UK over the weekend as the kids had just got out of school for the Christmas holiday and he was going to meet them. Maybe one of these days he’ll bring the kids…but probably not! :rotfl2: The fueling was already underway.

We got ourselves ready and packed the last few things and then did the ritual of checking all the drawers and cabinets at least twice to try and make sure we hadn’t left anything behind. While we were doing that there was a tug right outside our cabin that was doing some interesting maneuvers with some flat barges. It looked at first like he had just made a mistake and they were starting to go sideways on him.

Then a little later one was at a completely 45 degree angle. :crazy2:

And, although I didn’t get a photo, he ended up with them perfectly side by side – it was quite entertaining to watch! ::yes:::thumbsup2 Meanwhile time had ticked on. Our stateroom host, Dean, was leaving the ship today to go on vacation so we had someone new and they were obviously wanting to get into the cabin as they knocked on the door just before 8 am. :blush: We were just packing up the last of our stuff and so we knocked on Mum & Maureen’s door and they were ready to leave as well. Back in Animator’s for breakfast and there were quite a few families there. This isn't a great photo of Mum, but we didn't take very many photos this morning at all.

I believe we all had Eggs for the Road, but my trip reporting was pretty much at an end and in addition to no notes, I also have no photos of the food. 8-)

We said goodbye to Maggie and I Kadek :grouphug: and decided to see how bad it was getting off the ship. It was just before 9 am and at that time it's usually a zoo, but, there really were no lines at all and we walked off the ship and breezed through immigration. We got a porter to help us with our luggage as Mum was in her chair today due to the distances going through the terminal. Here we are heading out of the terminal at 9:10 am, it was about the fastest we have ever got through I think.

The EZ Cruise shuttle was there already so we were able to get straight on, which was nice as it was starting to spit with rain. He waited for a few minutes to see if any other passengers were coming before giving up and heading out. Awww…bye Disney Wonder. :wave2: I’m sad that she won’t be coming back to Galveston again at the end of the year, but we have the Magic coming in her place. We shall miss the Wonder though if they end up basing her from a different home port for the holiday season. :sad::sad::sad:

We got all of our luggage stuffed into the car and were pulling out of the EZ Cruise parking lot by 9:35 am. One more quick photo as we began the drive.

One last reminder that you are officially done with vacation as you pass the Galveston sign on I-45. :sad2:

We stopped in Houston to see Paul’s family as it had been 2 years since we had seen them all and the kids grow up so fast!! :Pinkbounc It was nice to round off our family cruise by seeing family we hadn’t seen since pre-Covid. :hug:

So there you have it. Another great cruise in the books for us! :woohoo: Thanks for following along, and for the family that are reading – if I missed anything, then you know the phrase – “You get what you pay for folks.” :laughing::laughing:

Well it was so nice to be 'back along with you' on this cruise! And what a lovely ending, seeing family you hadn't seen in ages :love:

They mystery of "Where is the Wonder from mid Oct 2022 to April 2023" deepens...:rolleyes1

Well it was so nice to be 'back along with you' on this cruise! And what a lovely ending, seeing family you hadn't seen in ages :love:

They mystery of "Where is the Wonder from mid Oct 2022 to April 2023" deepens...:rolleyes1

Yes, all very puzzling indeed!! Unfortunately our Wish cruise in July got nixed, but they gave us 50% off another cruise, so now that has me thinking Alaska next year to make the most of the discount, but who knows. 😊 The prices for the Wish are kinda crazy. :crazy2:

Yes, all very puzzling indeed!! Unfortunately our Wish cruise in July got nixed, but they gave us 50% off another cruise, so now that has me thinking Alaska next year to make the most of the discount, but who knows. 😊 The prices for the Wish are kinda crazy. :crazy2:
I'm sorry your cruise was one of the cancelled ones :( We have the Wish booked but not til spring break 2023. However, we will be switching that reservation over to a Europe 2023 cruise (trying for the 4th time!!!) once they open. The prices for the Wish cruises ARE high. We moved our Europe 2022 cruise over to Alaska for this July. Definitely do Alaska if you can!! It's been my favourite cruise hands down (and this will be our 3rd time doing it).

I'm sorry your cruise was one of the cancelled ones :( We have the Wish booked but not til spring break 2023. However, we will be switching that reservation over to a Europe 2023 cruise (trying for the 4th time!!!) once they open. The prices for the Wish cruises ARE high. We moved our Europe 2022 cruise over to Alaska for this July. Definitely do Alaska if you can!! It's been my favourite cruise hands down (and this will be our 3rd time doing it).

It's about time you got that European cruise in - let's hope things will be opened up, but I have a feeling they will be! :goodvibes I'm seriously reconsidering the Wish at this point. We have a cruise on the Magic booked for December out of Galveston that will happen unless DCL pulls the plug. I want to use the 50% off for Alaska next year and then who knows. We have a 5 night Royal Caribbean in a month's time with friends that's going out of Galveston, even though it's the same itinerary again :rotfl:but the price difference is just so overwhelmingly in RC's favor (1/3 of DCL's price), unless they really fall short we may just start looking outside of DCL at this point. We shall see how the RC cruise goes. ::yes::

Great trip report, thanks for sharing with us! :goodvibes Can’t wait for the next one. :yay:

I’m looking forward to the Magic, if we are lucky enough to spend Christmas on her, it’s been so long for us! 🤞🏻

Great trip report, thanks for sharing with us! :goodvibes Can’t wait for the next one. :yay:

I’m looking forward to the Magic, if we are lucky enough to spend Christmas on her, it’s been so long for us! 🤞🏻

We haven't been on the Magic since 2014 so I'm looking forward to getting another cruise on her out of Galveston. I was thinking about switching to the Christmas cruise but the 7 night just is too good to pass up for now. 😊

I finally read the last day!! Thanks for doing the report Jen, I wouldn’t remember half without it and it’s great to go back and relive. And, I feel like I get really good value for my money 🤣

I‘ve been binge reading your trip reports this weekend. We are cruising from Galveston for the first time in January. Thank you for all the great photos and tips! Your trip reports are so fun and informative.

I‘ve been binge reading your trip reports this weekend. We are cruising from Galveston for the first time in January. Thank you for all the great photos and tips! Your trip reports are so fun and informative.
Cruising from Galveston is so convenient for us, I hope you have a great time in January! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter