We got our dates set!!!

jennydep

Mouseketeer
YIPPEE!! Our dd's wish coordinator called dh today and set the dates for our trip to Disney! We leave on April 29 and return May 9. We'll have the 29-5 at GKTW and then we'll be on our own the rest of the time. We want to take the kids to a beach for a couple of days. We are thinking of staying at an All Star resort for a night or two and using those days to explore the other resorts, go to DTD, stuff like that so we will make the most of our time. I am so excited to actually have dates set. Now I can really begin to plan. So help me! What do I need to do to plan!?!?!? I am a novice at this even though I've been reading the boards for a long time. Thanks!!

Jenny

How exciting!! We had our DD's wish trip this past October and it was fabulous!! I can't say enough good things about GKTW. It's amazing! I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but the tickets for the parks you get from GKTW (3 day hopper to WDW, 2 day hopper to Universal and 1 day to Sea World), they don't expire for 14 days. So, you will be at the AllStars for a few days after GKTW, so if you have days left, you can use them then. If we knew that ahead of time, I would have planned a few days afterwards. That way you can spend time at GKTW and enjoy all the offerings there. Don't miss the character interactions there. One on one with the characters is priceless!! You will be spoiled by the villas, though! They are huge! For our trips from now on, I think we will have to get suites!! Feel free to ask any questions or PM me. I'll be happy to answer! Have fun planning!

Is this your first trip? Get a guide book. Go to your local library and check all they have. They are all great. Some are easier to read that others, some have more info. They are all different.

Have fun.

go to www.passporter.com and order a copy of the Guide Book for Guests With Disabilities at WDW. It is well worth it; it gives lots of information that will be useful.

If you want a fun non Disney place to stay check out www.nickhotel.com we stayed there last year and are going to stay one night on our way to our cruise. It isn't cheap but if you get lucky they will have a weekday special like they are running now where you can get a 2 bedroom suite for $125 a night. This hotel is a kids dream come true. They also have a character breakfast with Dora, Sponge Bob and other nick favorites but you have to be a guest of the hotel to book it.

Cindy

Have fun.
We have not been to GKTW village, but everything I have read about it says to save time for all the activities there.

yes, save time to spend a day there... there are also evening events. The one day we did stay there, we practically had the place to ourselves, and they have a lovely pool

You can't plan your disney days out with too much detail .... they have activities that may bump into your plans... be prepared for your park plans to change for a GKTW activity. Some are easy to miss, some are so special you don't want to miss them.

I very much regret that i had set up a Pirate's Adventure for my two DDs, (DS, DH and I were going to ride the monorail and go into some resorts, just bum around)... well that was a day that GKTW had a special surprise... I didn't think clearly enough to call Disney and say - i can't bring my kids to Pirates because.... so we missed out on a very special moment. SO DUMB I could kick myself...

So, again, don't be caught up in going TOO Disney.... especially since you have time AFTER to do that. Having said all that though, the Disney "treat this kid extra nice" pass may expire the day you check out of GKTW, so bear that in mind. I'm not sure that will happen with Universal.

Take some time to sit with the nice volunteers who will tell you all about Disney. They can guide you to some special character interaction opportunities etc. You will be surprised at how fast you can get to rides, etc, so other than mapping out a route and picking rides, you don't need to worry too much about fast passes, etc.

I am glad you are staying on for longer than the Wish Trip... you go to a lot of effort to get there, take your time! We stayed extra - and of course while GKTW did not pay for the extra time with the car rental - somehow we were given the extra days at their discounted price which was very nice.

Im so thrilled for you!

Someone else said:
well that was a day that GKTW had a special surprise

wondering if you could expound on that? We have written the GKTW activities into our plans, picked the things that will make the trip extra special and decided against a few things we arent overly excited about...like superhero nights, I have a GIRLY girl and she has no clue about those bad boys. ;) But Barney is a MUST see. Are there surprise happenings, and if so, do they give you any warning at all so you can plan accordingly? Im SO excited....

The only things set in stone are my son's birthday on the 30th - he gets to spend at Universal/IOA. Then on the 1st we are having breakfast with the princesses in Norway. Beyond that we are flexible. We plan to save the other Universal hopper day for after we leave the Village. That way Mickey has her day at the MK being treated as wonderful as she is. We have built in a "stay at the Village" day.

Can you give some ideas of the special things that happen at the Village? I know Santa comes, but that's about all I know and I don't even know when that happens. Thank you from a person who really likes to know what's coming down the road! :)

Jenny

we got an email from GKTW a few days ago, it had a hidden section of their website with welcome info. I will c/p some of the special days, Im a wicked planner too.

A TYPICAL WEEK OF FUN AT GIVE KIDS THE WORLD VILLAGE

SUNDAY
Movie 5:00 PM
Super Heroes Night 5:45 PM
Movie 7:00 PM
Showtime 7:45 PM

MONDAY
Horse Back Riding 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Character Photos – Disney 8 AM & 9 AM
Movie 5:00 PM & 7:00 PM
Pool Party 6:30 PM

TUESDAY
Carriage Rides 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Fishing 5:00 PM
SpongeBob SquarePants Photos 7 PM & 8 PM

WEDNESDAY
Horse Back Riding 8:00AM - 11:00 AM
Family Fun Night 5:45 PM
Showtime 7:45 PM

THURSDAY
Character Photos – Disney 8 AM & 9 AM
Carriage Rides 6:30 - 9:00 PM
Cookie Decorating 7:30 PM
Christmas Eve Extravaganza 7:30 PM

FRIDAY
Characters – Barney & Friends 8:30 AM
Fishing 5:00 PM
Showtime 7:00 PM

SATURDAY
Mayor Clayton’s Birthday Party 7:30 PM

I bought a Passporter book, where I can keep numbers and other info. I was chomping at the bit wanting to fill it in. Here is some info from the site that you might find helpful as well:

Welcome to Orlando!
If you are arriving to Orlando by plane, please be aware that due to the extra security at Orlando International Airport, our greeters are no longer able to meet your family at the gate.

board the tram from the gate to the main airport terminal (following the Baggage Claim signs).
Our Airport Greeter will be standing just outside the security gate in the main terminal and will be holding a Give Kids The World Village welcome sign.
The greeter will guide you to get your luggage and then to your transportation.

If you miss your greeter, please go to the white courtesy phone and dial ext. 2325 or call our airport cellular phone at (407-496-1228) and our airport office staff will assist you.

If no one answers the phone, please call (407-396-1114) from a regular pay phone or from your personal cellular phone to speak to the Village's Guest Services Team directly. Otherwise, you may proceed directly to Baggage Claim and then on to the appropriate rental car counter.

If you are on a shuttle, please go to the Mears Transportation counter. Give Kids The World is just a short 20 or 30 minute drive from the airport.

All Shows and Events are Subject to Change. Please use this as a guide only and refer to your Daily Village Voice for final information. Thanks and have a great stay here with us at Give Kids The World

Make yourself at home at Give Kids the World!

After checking into the village you will find

Washer/Dryer
Hair dryer
Iron and ironing board
Coffee maker
Blender
Refrigerator
Stove top
Microwave oven
TV and VCR

Hope these help!

I agree wholeheartly with Sue. When I ask my dd what her favorite thing about our trip was she excitedly says GKTW!! It was my favorite too! Remember to enjoy Disney & the other parks, but take part in the GKTW festivities, they will only happen once!
The village is amazing & I feel blessed to have stayed there!

Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm bumping this post up - - we may have some new Wish kid / GKTW family joining, i know this board was given to them as a resource - so I want them to see this - and perhaps say WELCOME to the DIS!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter