"We seem to be made to suffer. It’s our lot in life" - Feb/April 2017 - 5/9 Half/Grand Floridian Ca

My mother loves the Ritz - its where she usually stays in her various travels. In fact when she visits me in Naples, she doesn't stay with me and instead stays at one the two we have in town. She's also ok with the Grand Floridian but that was a little overpriced and my DVC points for VGF are all used up! We love being close to Disney Springs so my husband and I have no problems with SSR! Its also great you can usually get it last minute for DVC.

Some things at Marathon Weekend are still open. Glad you caught the RunDisney bug finally! Where does your husband want to go for his 30th? You already did Hawaii so you can't steal my 30th birthday trip ;) I guess we could probably count Italy as our 10th anniversary splurge although it is like 4 months before our 10th anniversary so I guess I should save the actual celebration for either Disneyland for Star Wars 2018 or WDW for Princess 2018.

I actually just looked at the Marathon for 2018 after I responded to your post, and realized that the Half was still open. I saw SOLD OUT for a few of the events and thought for a minute it was all sold out. I'm thinking on it, but not totally convinced just yet. My husband has never done one but he would like to do the half. I'm just not sure about dropping the cash on it, and it will probably be full pretty soon. His 30th is in March, and he wants to go to Vegas to see everything, and there's a Nascar race in early March (the week after Princess weekend) - so there's no way we could do both, and I can't take this one away from him for his 30th! Italy sounds amaaaazing!! Are you doing a cruise, or touring? Why not celebrate twice, lol!

I actually just looked at the Marathon for 2018 after I responded to your post, and realized that the Half was still open. I saw SOLD OUT for a few of the events and thought for a minute it was all sold out. I'm thinking on it, but not totally convinced just yet. My husband has never done one but he would like to do the half. I'm just not sure about dropping the cash on it, and it will probably be full pretty soon. His 30th is in March, and he wants to go to Vegas to see everything, and there's a Nascar race in early March (the week after Princess weekend) - so there's no way we could do both, and I can't take this one away from him for his 30th! Italy sounds amaaaazing!! Are you doing a cruise, or touring? Why not celebrate twice, lol!

I think the 5K, 10K and Dopey are sold out. We're going to be passing out beer for the 10K participants from the Disboards (I need to think of a good sign for that - as I only want to give beer to Disboard people and not randoms!).

We keep saying we're going to do Vegas but other things are more important. I don't blame you for not being able to do both Nascar and Princess! Thats a lot of traveling back to back. I always feel exhausted when we travel like that (or more recently when I was at WDW with my mother and then had to leave to go to California the next day for work).

Vegas can be fun though and so much awesome food! You only turn 30 once! Might as well make it awesome!

We're doing a Tauck Small Groups tour - flying into Naples then going to Positano where the tour starts - then through Sorrento, Capri and Rome. Its packed with a lot of things we wanted to see like Pompeii, Vatican, Colosseum, etc.

Tony’s

We continued around the Magic Kingdom and around 11AM, my mother said she was ready for lunch. We ended up looking on the My Disney Experience App to see what sit down was available and were able to get Tony’s for 11:40AM. She was happy to find out that Magic Kingdom now had alcohol served at their sit down restaurants!

ad9PhLu.jpg

Bread

I took advantage of the new alcohol policy and ordered an Italian beer! My mother got a glass of wine. The options were really limited - like 5 different wines and 1 beer option and they were all Italian themed. The glassware also left a lot to be desired.

xD6o0NX.jpg

Birra Moretti Lager

No Photo! Bad Dis_Yoda!
Benvolio Pinot Grigio

My mother and I ended up ordering the same entree for our meal. It was hearty! My mother was really hungry since she hadn’t eaten a real dinner the day before so she had more of hers than I did. I was happy enough with this for basic pasta. It wasn’t as good as the dish I had there a year and half ago but the dish did the job of filling me up. There was enough cheese in it so that the meat sauce didn’t annoy me that much!

zG3oa7H.jpg

Baked Rigatoni w/ Ricotta & Bolognese filling topped with Melted Mozzarella

Will I go back anytime soon? Probably not, but that is more so because Skipper’s Canteen is so much better.

After lunch, we headed back to the hotel. I got a nice two hour long nap!​

I wish I was flying in earlier bc I'd help you pass out beer at the 10K! Tony's is ok. Not the best but wasn't bad. I think I had shrimp scampi.

Wow, I can't believe the size of those citrus swirls! No wonder your poor mom's melted on her. Looks like a good start in the parks to make up for the weirdness of the day before. I hate traffic so I can totally see needing the booze and fried happiness to make up for it. Looking forward to the rest of the reviews from both trips!

SO happy MK has alcohol other than just at BOG now! We haven't been to Tony's in quite a few years. Nice to see a decent review of it since it never gets any type of love whatsoever. If you want a TS last minute and Tony's is what you can get, it's always good if the meal is at least enjoyable :)

I'm glad to get in here before you got too far into it.

When did MK add alcohol to all the sit down restaurants? This totally puts Tony's higher on the list now!

We ordered the same dish as you at Art Smith's but then we got the adult cake for dessert (spoiler on the TR I just started).

Always love hearing about your adventures! You do all the things I'd love to do hut can't since I'm so tied down!

Woah! This is so nice!!! :worship:You should have a pass code though!!

I have 9.5 months to figure something out. I'll post about it again on the main Marathon thread as we get closer as I know some people will be partaking in my gifts from earlier discussion there!

I wish I was flying in earlier bc I'd help you pass out beer at the 10K! Tony's is ok. Not the best but wasn't bad. I think I had shrimp scampi.

When are you flying in that weekend? We get in Thursday after work and leaving after my husband finishes the Marathon. My mother is joining us as well. It looks like I'm also getting 2 more fall trips from her - one over labor day weekend and one over thanksgiving.

Wow, I can't believe the size of those citrus swirls! No wonder your poor mom's melted on her. Looks like a good start in the parks to make up for the weirdness of the day before. I hate traffic so I can totally see needing the booze and fried happiness to make up for it. Looking forward to the rest of the reviews from both trips!

Yes! They were huge! I think it also melted on her as she was only eating with the spoon rather than licking from the outside in. That's how I avoided the melt!

I hate traffic so much. I'm lucky I live where I do as it usually isn't that bad around here - although during 'season' (when all the people from up north come south) my 5 to 8 minute commute to the movies becomes like 15. I guess that isn't that bad.

SO happy MK has alcohol other than just at BOG now! We haven't been to Tony's in quite a few years. Nice to see a decent review of it since it never gets any type of love whatsoever. If you want a TS last minute and Tony's is what you can get, it's always good if the meal is at least enjoyable :)

I'm so happy about it too! I hope they have a better beer selection at Skipper's though! I know Tony's gets no love here on the boards. It isn't the best but its still better than most counter service options in MK in my opinion. I'm so happy for the My Disney App that makes on the fly reservations that much easier!

I'm glad to get in here before you got too far into it.

When did MK add alcohol to all the sit down restaurants? This totally puts Tony's higher on the list now!

We ordered the same dish as you at Art Smith's but then we got the adult cake for dessert (spoiler on the TR I just started).

Always love hearing about your adventures! You do all the things I'd love to do hut can't since I'm so tied down!

Welcome! Glad I remembered to post the link after you reminded me in the other report!

I think at the beginning of January is when Magic Kingdom added alcohol (only beer and wine) at the sit down restaurants. There was a fun ugly thread here on the Dis as I know some people aren't happy about it but others are. Certain meals just are better with some wine or beer! I'm more likely to eat meals in the park now!

I thought about getting dessert but it didn't call out to me that night! Hopefully you enjoyed it!

Thirsty River Bar

We headed to Animal Kingdom around 3:00PM. On our way into the park, I noticed B’rer Bear was outside the gate! We stopped so I could take a photo with him!

lWoeQPE.jpg

k0ZZs26.jpg

B’rer Bear

We weren’t in a huge rush so when I noticed Russell had no line, we stopped for him as well!

E0lCVDQ.jpg

Russell

Afterwards we did It's Tough To Be A Bug and then headed over to Everest where we got a cocktail before going on the ride!

91BKCut.jpg

GG9pOeq.jpg

Z9CS3OM.jpg

Himalayan Ghost - Snow Leopard Vodka, Guava and Odwalla Lemonade

I actually ordered one for myself and my mother liked her sip that she decided she wanted one as well! So we got back in line for her to get her cocktail. We enjoyed these as they were a nice balance of sweet and sour!

We went on Everest through the single rider line and then headed to Dinosaur with our FP+ selection.

rxYJ1mu.jpg

Dinosaur

When are you flying in that weekend? We get in Thursday after work and leaving after my husband finishes the Marathon. My mother is joining us as well. It looks like I'm also getting 2 more fall trips from her - one over labor day weekend and one over thanksgiving.

We (BFF and I) check in Friday so I'd like to be there by noon (I haven't booked flights yet! Waiting on SW to release dates) and we check out Monday. Did I tell you I'm running the marathon?! Omg.....! Yay to more fall trips. I'd like to run W&D so if we add a trip It will likely have to be through a charity....we shall see!

Last edited:
We (BFF and I) check in Friday so I'd like to be there by noon (I haven't booked flights yet! Waiting on SW to release dates) and we check out Monday. Did I tell you I'm running the marathon?! Omg.....! Yay to more fall trips. I'd like to run W&D so if we add a trip It will likely have to be through a charity....we shall see!

Well - maybe it will be way cheaper for you to fly in Thursday ;)

You hadn't told me you were running the marathon. You really have caught the running bug! Yay for running the marathon! This is your first right? That is so exciting!

Tiffins

After Dinosaur, we had some time to kill before our dinner reservation at Tiffins. I made us get in line for Pocahontas in an effort to kill time. I’m glad we did that as Tiffins was not allowing people to be seated early as they were crowded from the first night of River of Lights.

bzMLmNt.jpg

Pocahontas

We checked in about 20 minutes early and had to wait the full 20 minutes to be seated. I felt bad for the hostess as some people were really mean when they weren’t seated early. We didn’t care too much! Once we were seated in the main dining room (one of these days, I will get a side room!) our server greeted us and we ordered our alcoholic beverages (something whiskey for me and sparkling wine for my mother) I also ordered the Signature Bread Service as I love that Harissa Yogurt with the crispy bread!

UXYcWrD.jpg
BJ1w41L.jpg

Tiffins Signature Bread Service - Pomegranate Olive Oil, Harissa Yogurt, Black Eyed Pea Hummus, Zhough Yogurt

As we waited for the bread service to come out, we reviewed the rest of the menu to figure out what we wanted for the day. Turns out my mother and I were torn between the same two entrees so I just ordered one and she ordered the other! I also ordered a salad as I hadn’t eaten anything green or healthy yet this day. The salad was great! Tons of apples and walnuts mixed with the endive with a light dressing. It at least made me feel better about my meal selections of the day.

QAYs1aK.jpg

Apple-Walnut Salad

My mother went with the Wagyu. I was ok with this as I had it before and loved it, plus I knew she has an appetite of a bird and I would get some of the meat! She really loved this! She enjoyed the Strip Loin more than the Short Rib. I ended up being given half of the strip loin and short rib as she couldn’t finish it! The meat was so tender!

Ijqf3Vs.jpg

Wagyu Strip Loin & Braised Short Rib

I went with the seared duck breast. This was wonderful! The duck had an awesome flavor to it, especially thanks to the huckleberry sauce that accompanied it. I was so full between enjoying most of my dish and finishing my mothers!

zSZ64b0.jpg

Pan-Seared Duck Breast

She paid for the meal using my TIW discount. We headed back to Africa to do the night safari before heading back to the room for bed! I think my method of keeping my mother super busy during this day worked out well.​

Well - maybe it will be way cheaper for you to fly in Thursday ;)

You hadn't told me you were running the marathon. You really have caught the running bug! Yay for running the marathon! This is your first right? That is so exciting!

Of course the flight would be cheaper, but then another room $$res or points I take away from family vacay. Another night away from kids, blah blah blah...adulting ugh...lol! Haha! Yes this will be my first marathon. BFF has been wanting to run a marathon and I said I would only at Disney! Thanks for the encouragement! At the present time I'm thinking *** was I thinking but I know once I'm back on a training schedule I'll be ready to rock and roll!

Tiffins looks great! Everything, but I just can't bring myself to try duck! I've mentioned this before! I don't know why?! I've never tried lamb either! True story!

So sorry to hear about your mom's husband passing :( My stepfather in law passed last August and it sucks. I'm happy you guys were able to head to the happiest place in the world to cheer her up!

You are making a strong case for Tiffins. AK is my least favorite park...mostly because it reminds me of the three times I almost died of heat stroke there lol.

Of course the flight would be cheaper, but then another room $$res or points I take away from family vacay. Another night away from kids, blah blah blah...adulting ugh...lol! Haha! Yes this will be my first marathon. BFF has been wanting to run a marathon and I said I would only at Disney! Thanks for the encouragement! At the present time I'm thinking *** was I thinking but I know once I'm back on a training schedule I'll be ready to rock and roll!

Tiffins looks great! Everything, but I just can't bring myself to try duck! I've mentioned this before! I don't know why?! I've never tried lamb either! True story!

I don't like adulting some days. It isn't fun. Its why 2018 will be a very light vacation year outside of Disney because we need to save money. Training will be super important for that! There is no faking it for a marathon unlike what you can do for a 10K or 5k.

You have mentioned you can't bring yourself to try duck! I have some friends that just can't get over the fact that ducks are cute. I'm glad I've gotten over that as ducks are tasty. Yes they are cute but cute can mean delicious too!

Enjoying your report!

The salad at Tiffins look so good!

Thank you for joining in! I saw your post on the What TS will you never go again? I'm glad you've had great times at Bluezoo! I actually know a lot of people have. Seems my luck just isn't there! I saw some of the ones we enjoy on other people's list but timing can just work out not in the favor for the restaurant sometimes.

So sorry to hear about your mom's husband passing :( My stepfather in law passed last August and it sucks. I'm happy you guys were able to head to the happiest place in the world to cheer her up!

You are making a strong case for Tiffins. AK is my least favorite park...mostly because it reminds me of the three times I almost died of heat stroke there lol.

Its the joy of living in Florida that makes getting to WDW so easy! It is a good midpoint between where I live and where she lives as well. We are going again for opening of Food & Wine Festival.

Tiffins is awesome. This is actually my third meal there and each time I've loved it! That is not good about heat stroke! Did you go in the middle of summer? Florida heat is no joke! Next time you go - you need to bring a camelback or multiple bottles of water!

YUM! Tiffins, as usual, proves fantastic and your food looks great! We had the same salad on our last trip and were not at all impressed, but it seemed like it was "off" somehow that day, like a required flavor was missing. Hopefully they were just having an off day since yours looks so good.

That Pocahontas sure looks different in person than in her film :rolleyes1 I guess I am not a fan of the new costume. Still a fun diversion for you and your mom!!

Aww cute!! What a good find. I love him, too!

zSZ64b0.jpg

Pan-Seared Duck Breast

I might have to get to Tiffins sooner than I thought - this all sounds amazing! Especially that salad, I am a sucker for anything apple/walnut. I love that my mom and I have similar tastes and share entrees, too.. then you get to try some of everything!

She paid for the meal using my TIW discount. We headed back to Africa to do the night safari before heading back to the room for bed! I think my method of keeping my mother super busy during this day worked out well.

Aw, I'm glad she had fun and could keep busy!

YUM! Tiffins, as usual, proves fantastic and your food looks great! We had the same salad on our last trip and were not at all impressed, but it seemed like it was "off" somehow that day, like a required flavor was missing. Hopefully they were just having an off day since yours looks so good.

That Pocahontas sure looks different in person than in her film :rolleyes1 I guess I am not a fan of the new costume. Still a fun diversion for you and your mom!!
I'm hoping Tiffins doesn't become harder to get once Pandora opens. I love this little hidden gem! Sorry your salad seemed off! Endive can be a really fickle flavor!

Yeah, the Pocahontas looks different. We usually don't visit princesses but eh, it killed the time we had to kill!

Aww cute!! What a good find. I love him, too!

I might have to get to Tiffins sooner than I thought - this all sounds amazing! Especially that salad, I am a sucker for anything apple/walnut. I love that my mom and I have similar tastes and share entrees, too.. then you get to try some of everything!

Aw, I'm glad she had fun and could keep busy!

I'm so happy about B'rer Bear! I haven't seen him out like that in forever! Too bad B'rer Fox wasn't with him.

You need to go to Tiffins on one of your upcoming trips! So very worth it!

It does help when you are traveling with someone with similar tastes. We don't always like the same things but it totally worked out well this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter