• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We Three-- 11/1 -- 11/6--With some pics--very long

aviva5675

DIS Veteran
I have enjoyed and benefitted from dining reviews for a year now :thumbsup2 , so this will be my attempt to give back. Our trip was from 11/1--11/6, myself, DH and DD14, a very picky vegetarian. Or non-meat eater and practically non-veggie eater. Does eat shellfish which was a huge help. We were on the dining plan, which I thought was great. We had 4 leftover CS credits and 2 snack. I tried several times to convert the CS to snack to buy stuff to take home but no one (CM) would do it. Also tried to use the last 2 for candy bars at the big Dis store at DTD and they wouldnt do that either. hmmm...

We stayed at POFQ and ate the first 4 breakfasts there-- beignets, eggs, yogurt granola mix, waffle, etc. By day 3 the beignets were too much and by the end it was cold cereal.

Ok so here goes:
Weds/ 11/1--breakfast POFQ.
EPCOT for the day, some rain in morning but overall, a nice day.

Food and Wine festival for lunch. This was very nice, and my DD and DH enjoyed it more than they thought they would. Plenty to choose from for all. Got in right about 1115 and it was very empty. Didnt wait more than 2 people for any booth. Sorry no pics for this. We had:

Empanada-Argentina
Chilled Rock Shrimp- awesome, like ceviche--Fla
Sauteed Shrimp--Fla
Sauteed Corvina, white fish--Chile
Custard- Chile
Thai hot and sour noodle salad
lamb chop w/caramelized onions- Austral
Shrimp on the barbie--Australia
Escargot-France
Creme Brulee-France
Truffles
Chicken sha cha-China
Lobster roll--USA

All were very good, especially the chilled rock shrimp, empanada and lamb chop.

DINNER---Le Cellier
5pm ADR, got there about 450 and checked in. Gave us a pager and we waited outside in the pretty garden area. Nice. Seated less than 10 minutes later. Sat at a booth way in the back, so it was quiet. We werent at any of the tables supposed to be so close together.

I had the cheese soup which I'd heard so much about, very good, not too salty or beery. DD had the mussels, she liked them alot, and DH had the beef kabob, also very good.

Entrees- I had the mushroom filet- a no brainer after reading about it for a year. It was very tender, and the risotto was wonderful. Ordered it medium rare and it was perfect.

filet-le-cellier.gif

DD had the Shrimp linguini minus the bacon. Very nice

100_1149.gif

DH had the Prime Rib, to me it looked a little over cooked, but he liked it alot.

prime-rib-le-cellier.gif

For dessert, sorry no pics, we had the creme brulee sampler, chocolate whiskey cake and buckleberry cake. All nice, but we were stuffed by then so it was hard to finish it all. I have to say the DP is too much food for sure. By the end of the trip we were splitting meals and still had plenty. With only one trip previously under our belt ( no pun intended!) hard to tell if portions were smaller but for us they seemed plenty big.

Used 3 TS credits, bill--149.29

Thurs 11/2---AK

A sunny day. Breakfast at food court.
Raced to Everest where DD and DH rode twice no lines. Park not crowded in morning at all. Rode Dinosaur twice, boy is this scary!

Lunch--Tusker House.

Got there actually before it opened at 11, so first in line and plenty of seats. Even when we were finishing it wasnt that crowded.

I had the rotisserie chicken-- very moist and tender. Dont need a whole half a chicken! The beans, as described by many--terrific!!

DH had the salmon, liked it alot. DD had the kids macaroni and cheese, thought it was good.

Used 2 CS credits, paid OOP for the mac n cheese. W/water $28.67 plus the mac n cheese 3.99

Dinner--Kona

Sorry no pics again. This was a good meal. 5pm ADR, checked in at 450 and seated right at 5 when they opened. We were going to try and make the monorail over for 7pm Spectro, so I told the server we were in a bit of a hurry. I think it was a land speed record, cause we were done in about 45 minutes. Got over to MK and had a great curb seat for the parade, which was awesome.

I had the sticky wings- again on the DIS recommendation. Very very good. And not too sticky. 8 wings, too many again. DH had the duck pot stickers. Good but a bit dry? DD had the chowder. She LOVED it! Its alot more like lobster bisque than "chowder". Very rich and good. She wanted it for breakfast when we came back later that week.

Entrees- I had the filet, very good, again med rare and cooked perfectly. A little charred on the outside, but not in a bad way. DD had the Pan Asian pasta, no chicken. and DH had the mahi mahi. Both big hits.

Dessert--Creme brulee, cheese cake and the Kahlua torte--all wonderful. DD also had the Sand in your Pants--nice, not too sweet.

3 TS--$136.32

Friday 11/3--MGM
Were there at rope drop- got picked to ride TOT before park opened! A magical moment...

Lunch--Brown Derby

1130 ADR, got there about 1115 and checked in. I think opened then and were seated right away. We'd eaten there once before for dinner, and I wanted to go back. Paid OOP for this lunch, since no way I was spending double TS for signature restaurant for lunch.

DH and I split the Cobb Salad and the Oricchiette pasta.

cobbsaladpremix.jpg

Before being mixed

cobbsaladpostmix.jpg

After being mixed

bdpasta.jpg

The pasta=

DD had the pasta for her meal as well. We all liked it very very much. The cobb salad was good, but probably wouldn't order it again. For dessert we had the grapefruit cake. It's different! Not a strong taste, and overall like a vanilla cake. Also probably would skip it next time.

grapefruitcake.jpg

Paid OOP- $75.00

Dinner-- Wolfgang Puck Express, at DTD

2 people ahead of us in line, got there about 530?? It was chilly out that night but we snagged an inside table.

We 3 split the tomato linguini and the squash soup. This was a good meal, and plenty for all of us. I think we also had a cheese cake for dessert. Can't remember.

Sat 11/4 My Bday! MK

This day was very crowded I thought. I know it was a Sat, but waaaaay more crowded than the other 3 days. We got there early so saw a few things right away, which was good. Were beat by 1 - 130 and left for the hotel.

Lunch--Crystal Palace

Had an 1130 ADR. Were already tired and hot by 11 so went to check in. Long line to check in or try and get a ressie. Lunch started at 1130 so we had to wait- I thought it was kind of continual. Anyway, right in about 1135. It was empty inside and were seated in the first room near the back. So again a good spot. Charachters came around twice while we were there, much to daughters chagrin--- at 14 she hates them! Tho, she always did. They refused to let her not get a picture, poor kid!

ariandeeyore.jpg

The buffet was very good, huge selection and everything hot and fresh. We had, among other things: spoon bread, mashed potatoes, chicken pasta (excellent), the chicken (also great), salmon (skip it), pork, broccoli, frittata, shrimp mango salad, pasta salad, reg salad, boston creme pie, flan, tres leches cake(awesome), and tried the cheese. Overall a good experience, and the room is lovely. Was packed by the time we left.

Dinner--California Grill

Had been here once before and had to come back. 6 pm ADR, checked in about 545 and were seated immediately. At a window- fantastic. I had my bday button on and we got picked for family photo. My DH remembered the sushi as his absolute fav from last time. We split 4 TS 3 ways and did some OOP. This is the one place there was an entree that no one liked-- the gnocci, which is a weird texture. Even my DH who eats everything didnt care for it.

cgsushi.jpg

DH had the spicy sensation. Liked it very much. I had the foie gras, which was absolutely fabulous. I love foie gras.

cgfoisgras.jpg

DD had the goat cheese ravioli which she liked alot.

cgravioli.jpg

It was delicious.

I had the filet here as well. Not quiiiiittee as good as Le Cellier, but very tender. Enjoyed the potatoes.

cgfilet-1.jpg

I asked for the BBQ sauce on the side, which Im glad I did even tho it was really good. Also I asked for a substitution of the broccollini and they gave me the carrots, which were really good.

cggnocci.jpg

This is the gnocci. It was not great. The sides with it were ok. The menu is different than what is on Allears somewhat. I'd probably have gotten the ribeye if they'd had it. DH had some of my filet which filled him, and DD was not a happy camper. Should have had her look at kids menu but didnt think of it.

Desserts we split the Valharona rasberries/chocalate molten cake-- with bday surprise, and free, that was nice, the strawberries forever and a tart or cheesecake, I forget what. Also forgot pics before we ate but here is the dessimation:

cgcheesecake-1.jpg

cglavacake.jpg

cgstrawberrydessert.jpg

4 TS credits plus $12 OOP. Cost--$146.14

Sunday 11/5

Kona breakfast. Had been looking forward to this. 9 am ADR, got there at 850 and were seated right at 9. This breakfast went fast too. OOP since we were running out of TS. Split the tonga toast--Excellent!!!!! and the 2 eggs etc. Overall a good breakfast, especially the TT.

OOP $31.65

This day DH played golf and DD and I went riding then shopping at DTD. He didnt eat and she had a sundae at Ghiradelli. I had to go to Earl of Sandwich, after again, hearing so much about it. I had the Original 1762, which I really enjoyed alot. Got chips instead of a dessert, and a water for drink, which the counter guy had trouble understanding. Sort of a waste of CS credit but I had plenty left over by now and used one.

Dinner -- Citricos

Had been looking forward to this for a long time. Turned out to be the best overall meal ( CG gnocci spoiled that) we had, as far as I'm concerned. Everything was terrific. We split 4 TS again, and DD had the kids pasta marinara, so she was happy, and got the sauteed shrimp appetizer as well.

citricoshrimpappet.jpg

citricokidspastamarinara.jpg

I had the mushroom ravioli, which was awesome, and the striped bass, which was lovely. The risotto was fantastic, better than Le Cellier!

citricomushroomravioli.jpg

citricoseabass.jpg

DH got the crab souffle, which he loved, and the veal shank, which was great-- fall off the bone and enormous.

citricocrabsouffle.jpg

citricoveal.jpg

We went all out for desserts, as this was our last dinner...The Chocolate lava cake (best all week), and the creme brulee.

citricolavacake.jpg

citricocremebrulee.jpg

Paid for a drink and an app OOP ($23) and then 4 TS--$123.44

Last day, Mon 11/6
Breakfast at Boma. Enjoyed this alot. 9am ADR, only waited about 5 minutes. Loved the frunch and the pap especially. DH tried boboti and a few other African things but wasn't wild about them. Had omelettes, pastry, fruit also and everything was fresh and tasty. Used our last TS credit and paid for 2 OOP.

Enjoyed the DP enormously. Wish they would offer a flat rate to buy more TS, but we ate at several sig restaurants and that used more. Also they need to allow using left over CS as snacks-- what do they care? Its worth more than the $4 a snack credit value is. Would definitely do the plan again tho and while I dont have totals, I think it worked in our favor.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope you enjoyed it...any questions feel free to ask!!

Thanks for the great reviews and the pictures. :thumbsup2

A couple questions:

Did you encounter any issue with splitting the 2 meals (3 ways) at Cal Grill or Citricos?

Did you order the beignets as a snack credit? How many per order? Available all day or just for Breakfast?

Thanks!

hound :)

I think the beignets are available all the time. They have a strange system of making them as ordered-- its good because theyre served hot which is best, but if its crowded it takes awhile. I don't think I tried to use snack credit but I'm sure you can. You can order 3 or 6.

No problems at all splitting meals. In fact, at Cal Grill the waiter gave suggestions how to do it/what to order to cobble together 2 meals for the 3 of us, tho we ordered a little extra for DD. The other places we split were never questioned at all.

Also, every place we checked in we were asked about allergies etc, which I thought was nice.

My goodness, I just remembered that at CG my steak came cold. I was pretty surprised. It wasn't warm, it was cold. They whisked it away and it came back a short time later quite hot. Everything including the plate was quite hot so I assume they stuck it in some kind of warmer.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

It was great to hear you enjoyed the crystal palace. We are celebrating my sons birthday at 11:45 on 12/4 and I hadn't seen any reviews on the lunch.
Thanks.

Thanks for the great reviews!!! BTW-- my mom's birthday as the same as yours -- happy belated birthday.

Thanks for the bday wish!! Ref. CP--yes we enjoyed lunch there alot. I had wanted to go on our one other trip in '02 and it was closed for refurbishment, so it was on the must do list this time. Our DD14 doesnt like characters so we told her she didnt have to take pictures with them but each one gently insisted she give a hug and take a picture. She was a good sport about it. Same happened with Mike/Sully in MGM. It was pretty funny.

Gorgeous! Just gorgeous. Especially the Cali Grill pics. YUM!

aviva5675 said:
Lunch--Tusker House.

Got there actually before it opened at 11, so first in line and plenty of seats. Even when we were finishing it wasnt that crowded.

I had the rotisserie chicken-- very moist and tender. Dont need a whole half a chicken! The beans, as described by many--terrific!!

DH had the salmon, liked it alot. DD had the kids macaroni and cheese, thought it was good.

Used 2 CS credits, paid OOP for the mac n cheese. W/water $28.67 plus the mac n cheese 3.99

We might have even seen your familiy at Tusker and didn't know it. We hit Tusker on 11/2 right about 11 AM as it opened. We sat towards the back though, where the drummer was setting up outside. It was my 1st time at Tusker and I really enjoyed the Chicken sandwich and steak fries. A little change of pace over the standard burger/fries, and the carrot cake was great as well.

aviva5675 said:
I think the beignets are available all the time. They have a strange system of making them as ordered-- its good because theyre served hot which is best, but if its crowded it takes awhile. I don't think I tried to use snack credit but I'm sure you can. You can order 3 or 6.

No problems at all splitting meals. In fact, at Cal Grill the waiter gave suggestions how to do it/what to order to cobble together 2 meals for the 3 of us, tho we ordered a little extra for DD. The other places we split were never questioned at all.

Also, every place we checked in we were asked about allergies etc, which I thought was nice.

Thanks for all the great information, Aviva. :wave:

hound :teeth:

Yes we enjoyed Tusker alot. It was nice to sit inside in the quiet, and the food was good. I read elsewhere on the boards that Tusker is changing somehow to a character meal? I hope not- it seems like there are so many already, not enough plain old places to eat a lunch. We loved our Akershus lunch a few years ago but didnt return this time because we didnt want the character meal and the food sounds changed as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter