We took the kids to WDW! - All done, Now Bonus features! Festival of Holidays 2/23

I'm here! Thanks for the heads up.

For those who know Fran and I you are probably reading the title, and scratching your heads right now thinking, “Don’t all your kids have four legs and they aren’t allowed at WDW?”

Actually, I was thinking, "Gee, we ditched our kids and you actually grabbed 2 more!"

The trip began with Fran and myself Cheating on Mickey with Harry.

:eek:

Unfortunately Alberto had a small scare the week before we left, but I have to say that these pictures they posted on FB while waiting for the doctor in the ER give you some insight into their character.

I'm glad he was ok.

This is once we boarded the bus, going to a VERY remote terminal at LAX.

Looks like it was actually in San Diego.

In the past we'd usually gone to Jakes American Bar, not for any reason other than it had simple American food, burgers and stuff.

Sounds perfect!:woohoo:

However, this time around I looked at the menu in advance and besides the burger and Fish & Chips nothing else looked very good.

But it has burgers! What more do you need?:confused3

It was so nice to finally get to meet you!

:welcome: Yes it was! After all these years!

I'm along for the ride too!

:welcome: Glad to have you onboard!

I am here! Will read once I get back from work.

:welcome: Yay!

Reporting for duty!

:welcome: Hopefully duty here will be a little less taxing than your regular work!

Poly reporting in for your TR on her namesake Poly and everything before and after...

:welcome: Your namesake will not disapoint!

I was pleased you gave the background of the trip. I know you and Fran have had to cancel many planned trips but I did not know that a trip with Jim and Alberto was amongst the vacation graveyard as I call it. Oh yes I am a fellow victim too. But I love how you go on to see the positives and plan future trips. It's the best way.

Vacation Graveyard! Perfect I love it!

I am sorry to see Alberto in the ER room!

Luckily it didn't turn out to be anything major.

I am glad you have the packing now sorted. Takes the stress out of it. We have been on those strange crew only routes around airports. The things I have witnessed they do with our Luggage.. I wish I had not..

Well for that trip it was OK. Who knows what the future holds!

I love the accommodation you booked. What a nice mix. What a lovely hotel at Universal. I love that room and check out that accessible shower!

Fran didn't care for it. In fact not sure if we'll be doing more split stays, well except for when we do a cruise, you can't really help that one.

Dinner looks very nice. I am pleased I learnt recently after using google after watching an episode of The Good wife what a potsticker is...

Now you just need to taste one! They are delicious!

Looking forward to reading more.

Coming soon!

we had our 1 week stay and it included three nights in a Poly Bungalow!
This sounds wonderful. I know it costs a lot, but it sounds like you've been waiting for this trip for a few years now. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing what cool stuff you did this time around.

Coming out of lurkdom to say hey. I have read quite a few of your trip reports, love your photos and details :) Can't wait to read about your poly stay!

I am here!

Alberto and Jim look like fun people to be around if they even don't lose their humor at the ER!! These pictures were hilarious!

I am impressed how well you are doing with the packing now! Still, 4 hours of sleep sounds far too little! At least it looks like you had a comfy seat on the plane. I always tend to forget that it is really a far way to travel from one coast to the other, Here in Europe so many places are just about a 2 to 3 hours flight away...

I'm here!

:welcome:

So excited for you that you got to sleep some the night before the flight! Way to go you too.

It was still a little stressful since we went to band the night before leaving, but at least we had everything packed! Normally I don't get to bed before 1AM after band so I did good by getting to bed just after midnight.

Sorry to see the ER photos, hopefully everything is good?

They never really came up with what was wrong, but they changed the dosage on one of his medications and he didn't have any problems on the trip, at least related to this problem.

We always build in extra time to get the airport and our last time everything aligned perfectly and we were sitting there for a long time waiting to board, but I decided it was much better than being in a hurry.

Yes I will always take sitting around waiting instead of rushing to get somewhere!

Love the room layout at Universal, looks comfy.

That's funny! I thought the room was really small. I guess I'm spoiled by the one bedroom DVC units.

Looking forward to seeing how this trip that was years in the making and full of plans, cancelled plans and changed plans finally went down.

:welcome: Hopefully readers will find it almost as entertaining as we did!

I'm glad your travel day went pretty smoothly for all intents and purposes. Looks like getting things ready in advance paid off for you!

It certainly made things a lot smoother. I still had a huge "list" of stuff to do before we would be ready to go. In fact I was so brain dead by the time I finished, I hadn't even remembered if had packed up the leftover meat from a Turkey I made over the weekend before we left! :laughing:

Your hotel looks great! I didn't realize your dinner was a character meal with Gru and a Minion!

Each time we have stayed there, characters have come through the dining room. Last time it was Homer Simpson and Scooby Doo.

I am excited to read your report on the Poly Bungalows. I look at those point totals and know we'll never stay there!

:welcome: I can say that I have been bitten! I'm going to have to find ways to go back there! But since one night in a Bungalow uses up 15% of my total point allotment, that's a pretty hefty price!

We actually liked the Studios at the Poly as they are quite roomy compared to most of the studios, but if you are used to DVC 1-bedrooms not so much.

Interesting to note that the Poly Studios are roomy compared to others. The only other studio I have stayed in was at the VGC.

We've ended up twice at 1-bedrooms so far (SSR in 2014 and of course VGC this past February). I could easily get used to that, but we would have to shorten up our stays to be able to afford it, and I'd rather stay for 10 days in a studio than 5 days in a 1-bedroom. In fact, we booked into a value room at AKV for 1/2 our stay in October. I really wish I could get the opportunity to check out the size of a value 1-bedroom, because MAYBE we could afford that one day.

I can see that reasoning. Luckily Fran over does everything so we have enough points that it's hard for the two of us alone to use them up. That's why I've been known to rent them to friends or using David's.

Hi! I'm excited to read your trip report! I'm so sorry to see Alberto in the ER, that's never fun. I look forward to reading more!

:welcome: Hopefully the next installment will come soon!

I am here as well.

Looking forward to reading your latest WDW TR along with Jim and Alberto. I am behind on your other TR that it will be hard to keep up.

:welcome: Don't worry, this TR will not go nearly as quickly as many of my others. I will be taking it more at the reader's pace.

The room at Universal looks very nice. Dinner at Islands look very interesting which has several Asian cuisines.

There were a lot of choices, they even had a Mongolian Barbecue style option which was all you can eat, create your own stir fry. But it was $25pp and we weren't that hungry.

Present and accounted for! :woohoo: Only Alberto could be so adorable in the hospital. Love all the pics. What's missing are your painted nails.

:welcome: Don't worry you'll see my nails soon enough!

Signing on Alison!

:welcome: Glad to have you on board Glenn!

I'm here. I can't wait for this one. Thanks so much for letting me know!!

Your dinner looks amazing!

:welcome: I'm glad you made it over here! Dinner completely hit the spot.

Can't wait to read all about it!

Looks like you had a nice travel day and a great dinner at Islands! (Although it does look like they just need to reprint the menus!)

:welcome: It worked out better than previous travel days. I didn't notice the menus until you pointed it out! :laughing:

I'm here too. Reading this is going to make me a little sad that our Oct trips don't overlap but I cheer up easy :sunny:

:welcome: Well that's a bummer that we'll miss each other, but someday....

Looks like your trip is off to a great start. Can't wait to read all about it.

:welcome: Glad to have you along for the ride!

I'm here! Thanks for the heads up.

:welcome: Glad to have you over here!

Actually, I was thinking, "Gee, we ditched our kids and you actually grabbed 2 more!"

Go figure! :rotfl2:

I'm glad he was ok.

There weren't any incidents on the trip so that was good!

Looks like it was actually in San Diego.

Just about!

Sounds perfect!:woohoo:

Yeah, well except I could have a burger anywhere.

But it has burgers! What more do you need?:confused3

Variety! :laughing:

This sounds wonderful. I know it costs a lot, but it sounds like you've been waiting for this trip for a few years now. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing what cool stuff you did this time around.

:welcome: Well, hopefully it's cool stuff! :confused3 We always tour a much more leisurely pace than most.

Coming out of lurkdom to say hey. I have read quite a few of your trip reports, love your photos and details :) Can't wait to read about your poly stay!

:welcome: I'm glad you came out of lurkdom to join in! This is a perfect TR for that! I have a surprise coming in the next update!

I am here!

Alberto and Jim look like fun people to be around if they even don't lose their humor at the ER!! These pictures were hilarious!

They are quite hilarious and hopefully their antics along the way can be translated into this TR!

I am impressed how well you are doing with the packing now! Still, 4 hours of sleep sounds far too little! At least it looks like you had a comfy seat on the plane. I always tend to forget that it is really a far way to travel from one coast to the other, Here in Europe so many places are just about a 2 to 3 hours flight away...

Well the lack of sleep was more because we had to go to band than due to packing. Normally I don't like to leave on a Wednesday morning, but with the timing of my birthday and such I didn't want to shift things back another day, since I had already planned everything out for the previous year.

I'm here ready for the party!

Why is Jim naked?

:welcome: I'm glad you made it over here!

OK, well I guess if you are asking the question there are other folks out there who have not read my TRs with the back story. I will publish it in the next post.

OK, I'm really chomping at the bit here trying not to make the next post too quickly, but I have a surprise in the next post and really want to get it out there! Once that post is up, I promise that I will keep the updates to a reasonable schedule. However, Carrie @orangecats2 asked about the history of Naked Jim's nickname so I guess I will repost it here.

Jim is normally our cat sitter when we go on our various trips. We got this email from him on our trip in the Fall of 2014. I shared it on the TR as it was pretty funny, and he got branded with the name Naked Jim from there on out.

“I brought some laundry over to work on while I was doing stuff at your house and hanging out. When I came back for the evening feeding, after the alarm exercise, I decided to throw in another load. This time it was dark perma-pressed clothes. Well, I was wearing a pair of navy shorts which had gotten covered with cat hair when I was petting and holding cats in the morning visit. So I decided to throw them in too. While I was at it, I thought…well, why not wash the underwear too? Then I can have a totally fresh start.

It was dark outside by then and the cats promised not to tell, so off came the underwear. Then I get to thinking, “Why not have a nice skinny dip in the jacuzzi while I’m waiting for the clothes to finish?” So I go outside and turn on the jacuzzi so it can warm up. So I go out the laundry room door and close it. I start up the jacuzzi and go back in to feed the cats. One small problem…the door locked! I didn’t realize that the knob lock was engaged. So here I am in the back yard, in the dark (no outside lights were on), surrounded by a 9’ fence, buck naked and locked out of the house. I try all the doors and all are locked.

After considering my situation from all angles, I find good news and bad news. The good news is that the front door is still unlocked. The bad news is that it is the front door. Well, I had left a towel in the pool house, so I fetch the towel, wrap up my masculinity, open the electric gate to the front yard and creep around to the front door. I get inside and all is well.

So I dish out the food to the cats, check the laundry, unlock a couple of the rear doors and go back out to get into the jacuzzi. I step down into the water to find that it is cold. The heater didn’t kick on. So I spread my beach towel on a chaise lounge chair, buck naked, in the dark, surrounded on all sides by a 10 foot wall and check email with my iPhone and talk with my daughter on the phone while I wait for my clothes to dry. I’ve seen the scenario in movies before where a guy gets locked out of his house while naked, but never expected it to happen to me. Fortunately, there were no cameras rolling. So I gave up on the jacuzzi, folded up my laundry, got dressed and went home. And that’s my little misadventure.

So you see? If you are me, you don’t have to go on a cruise to have fun. You can just go through each day with my Mr. Magoo moments. Chaos all around, but I stumble blithely onward, none the worse for wear.”

Sincerely,

Jim”

There you have it. Why he is called "Naked Jim"

Oh my you can't leave us on this cliffhanging of a surprise and not deliver... This is like the frigthtful season break of a favorite series and the announcement 'coming back in the fall' ...lol

:yay: All caught up again! So glad all 4 of you were able to go to DW together! What a lot of planning! Did you like Universal Studios? It will never have the appeal of Disney for me.

Traveling from the west coast to the east coast is such an ordeal! I'm going to Wash. DC next month and not looking forward to the travel days...

As a result, I had three of our suitcases in the car by 3PM before we left for band (the night before leaving) and the last suitcase was in the car before I went to bed (shortly after midnight).

Wow you are good! :worship:

This is once we boarded the bus, going to a VERY remote terminal at LAX.

Geez that is strange. And this flight was with AA right?

DSCN8611.jpg

The room is really cool and different! I love the flowers on the wall and how high the curtains are to make the room appear larger :thumbsup2

DS would DIE over this meet! He loves the Minions, but not gonna lie, Gru looks uber creepy :lmao:

Oh my you can't leave us on this cliffhanging of a surprise and not deliver... This is like the frigthtful season break of a favorite series and the announcement 'coming back in the fall' ...lol

I'm not sure you guys will find it as fascinating a surprise as I do! :laughing:

A surprise? :hyper: I hate suspense! :lmao:

I'm pretty sure you will be substantially underwhelmed by the surprise! :rotfl2:

:yay: All caught up again! So glad all 4 of you were able to go to DW together! What a lot of planning! Did you like Universal Studios? It will never have the appeal of Disney for me.

It was fine. We've been there twice before and we had a very specific agenda that you will hopefully find out about shortly.

Traveling from the west coast to the east coast is such an ordeal! I'm going to Wash. DC next month and not looking forward to the travel days...

Yes it does take a lot out of us traveling to the East coast especially when we don't get enough sleep the night before!

Surprise??? :tongue:

Yeah, like I said, you guys might not find it as fun as I do. I'll post an update on the other thread and come back here to post the next update.

Wow you are good! :worship:

Thank you. This is how every trip should go. With more sleep.

Geez that is strange. And this flight was with AA right?

::yes::

The room is really cool and different! I love the flowers on the wall and how high the curtains are to make the room appear larger :thumbsup2

It was pretty interesting but very small. There was almost nowhere to put the suitcases, and we didn't unpack for just two nights.

DS would DIE over this meet! He loves the Minions, but not gonna lie, Gru looks uber creepy :lmao:

Both of them really had a difficult time navigating the dining room, but Gru actually seemed a little more responsive evn if he did look creepy!

OK, so I'm giving you all one last chance before I post the next update. I have to go tend to dinner and then I'll be back.....

Well here is a small IRL update. I'm working on making Beef Stroganoff for tonight. Our recipe is low carb and does not include any noodles, so it goes well with our "diet" or "lifestyle". The unfortunate thing is that the piece of meat I took out of the freezer is over 1lb and starting Tuesday Fran can't eat solid food. It was a Prime Rib that I put in the freezer when we couldn't eat the leftovers. Now I need to figure out how to use up the other almost 1lb of lovely meat before Tuesday. There are only so many French Dip Sandwiches we can have, especially when Fran has asked for bacon sandwiches before she has her "procedure" later this week.

It's that fun one that you don't get to eat real food for two days beforehand and get to drink a bunch of stuff you wouldn't ever consume on a regular basis. But if you don't do it right you get to do it all over again! I get to do it a couple weeks after she does! Yay! I love being over 50!

Anyways, I think I have given you enough drivel that I can post the next update and it will be at the top of the page.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter