Wedding Reception Late Night Snack

No to uncrustables

I think it depends on when your dinner is because if it runs long like 8-9 no one is hungry later.

We did have cold cuts , buns etc and desserts out. But have been to 2 weddings now that had different types of pizza . It was a big hit. Grab a piece walk away.

No - since you’re looking for opinions, I think the pre-fab sandwiches are a yucky idea. Better you’d do up your own trays of nice quality PBJ’s and put them out with some chips and dip, a modest veggie tray and a few sweets, if you think a lunch is necessary. Here, it is VERY common, I’d say practically standard, that a wedding party that involves drinking and dancing late into the evening will have what’s most often know as “midnight lunch”. It can be anything from left-over dinner stuff to a hot-dog cart and I’ve seen many variations. Never seen Uncrustables though and I just think there are TONS of better options.

nope to Uncrustables.

I have seen warm cookies brought out late but I don’t think anything is necessary.

DD married in late 2019. Then venue offered a S’mores set up around the fire pit as a late snack. We considered it briefly but decided that they would be messy and unnecessary.

When we got back to the hotel some of the wedding party and family were in the lobby having their own Whataburger after party. Whataburger is a very common late night stop in this state. I don’t think anyone thought we should have fed them again. They just wanted to keep the party going as everyone would be scattering the next morning.

This recently came up on my IG but I think it’s originally from tik tok.

It said the late night snack trend is a “no” since most of the food goes to waste or can not be kept fresh enough for people to enjoy. No one wants soggy cold French fries. The wedding images they showed were mini charcuterie boards and a basket with a cheeseburger, fries and a coke. It’s also pretty expensive.

I think it could work if dinner is early compared to the end of the party and your group are big drinkers. I have been to weddings that had a late night food truck come around and an ice cream truck come. Both were huge hits with the attendees at these weddings.

Around here we usually go to a diner, Checker’s or McDonald’s after a late night out or after a wedding.

I would not do uncrustables though.

Around here we usually go to a diner, Checker’s or McDonald’s after a late night out or after a wedding.
My very first thought was back in college when you'd hit up taco bell after drinking lol but honestly never been to a wedding where people were that far gone that they would even notice food (usually you'd crash). That said I think weddings I've been to generally aren't running for hours and hours and hours

I just read that hot pretzels are now the trend for the late night snack at weddings. I also like the idea of a donut board.

Obviously I'm in the minority but I thought the Uncrustables were a good idea. Easy to grab and eat, not much of a mess, better than chips.
I think if you had kids eating them (young kids) and you knew there were no known allergy issues it'd be okay but it would strike me as odd to serve a product marketed towards kids for everyone especially if it wasn't a "kid at heart" themed wedding.

DD got married late 2020 ...

I think there is too much pressure that every wedding has to have every extra, every gimmick and the costs quickly get out of control.

I don't think you need a late night snack. Perhaps if you had lots of alcohol and no meal provided but even then one more snack isn't going to reverse any intoxication at that point.

I would focus the budget on a nice meal and not worry about snacks or expensive cakes etc. Quality over quantity. But to answer the question; no I would not eat or take an Uncrustable.
So true! So much pressure to have all the extras.

We gave out a small favor of snacks after our wedding. You can have a sweet and salty option if you feel like people really need a snack. A local specialty is always fun. Is that not a thing anymore?
All wedding favors I've seen have either been on the tables already or placed out at the same time as dessert so that guests who are leaving can get them as they go. I've personally never been to a wedding where a snack was put out for the purposes of presupposed hunger pains long after the main meal and cake (or dessert choice be it cupcakes or cake pops or whatever) has been put out as that assumes so many guests will still be at the wedding many hours later. That may be the case with the OP's family member but I sorta gathered this was more about "others are doing it will I be the odd one out if we don't continue the trend"

We did m & m's in our wedding colors (well as close as possible) but they were on each table already before meals were served and were the wedding favors (in wedding colored painted mini terra cotta pots).

My very first thought was back in college when you'd hit up taco bell after drinking lol but honestly never been to a wedding where people were that far gone that they would even notice food (usually you'd crash). That said I think weddings I've been to generally aren't running for hours and hours and hours
I went to one wedding on New Years Eve, so the expectation there was that people would be at the party past midnight. They had late night pizzas that we crushed. That wedding was at the hotel that most guests were staying the night at, so it was also a good way to keep people from driving somewhere to get food after.

I've only seen pre-packaged snacks given out as a goody bag for guests staying at in the wedding block at the hotel, given at check in.

So true! So much pressure to have all the extras.
I pray all of my kids elope. Weddings are insane. I thought the trend would go to "less is best". But, my goodness! It just keeps getting crazier.

We went to a wedding recently where the after party snack was basically what I served for my main meal at my wedding almost 3 decades ago.

Then after wedding cocktails at a different location.

Rehearsal dinners are now like wedding receptions. In fact, they are deemed "Welcome Dinners". So many people invited.

Gift bags to welcome hotel guests.

And then the goodbye brunch the next day, complete with billion dollar bloody Mary and mimosa bars.

I just keep thinking these are the same people that are going to be complaining soon about how much money it costs to raise a child.

Cheers! :rotfl:

Here’s a little more info on the initial plans for this wedding. It’s going to be at a downtown venue with a mid 20s crowd and some family (120 to 150 people), open bar with liquor, cocktail hour will have a big grazing table, dinner will be either plated or family style followed by a big dance party. The bride thinks buffets take too long (thus the family style or plated service), and she also wants all the formalities (intros, parent dances, speeches, cake cutting) done quickly right after the grand entrance before and/or during dinner so that the bulk of the reception is uninterrupted party time. She and her crowd love cake, so she wants a big wedding cake versus a dessert buffet. She said she’s seen too many dessert buffets go to waste at the weddings she’s attended. She’s going to have the cake served to everyone after the main course during dinner. After the reception is over, everyone (all the young people) will go to a nearby bar/pub with a 2nd floor party space to continue the party. This part will not be hosted or paid for by the bride, groom, or their families. In their crowd everyone pays their own way once they get to the pub.

I’m not sure the quests will really need a late night snack, but it’s kind of turning into the norm where we live, so she wants to consider it.

Last edited:
Here’s a little more info on the initial plans for this wedding. It’s going to be at a downtown venue with a mid 20s crowd and some family (120 to 150 people), open bar with liquor, cocktail hour will have a big grazing table, dinner will be either plated or family style followed by a big dance party. The bride thinks buffets take too long (thus the family style or plated service), and she also wants all the formalities (intros, parent dances, speeches, cake cutting) done quickly right after the grand entrance before and/or during dinner so that the bulk of the reception is uninterrupted party time. She and her crowd love cake, so she wants a big wedding cake versus a dessert buffet. She said she’s seen too many dessert buffets go to waste at the weddings she’s attended. She’s going to have the cake served to everyone after the main course during dinner. After the reception is over, everyone (all the young people) will go to a nearby bar/pub with a 2nd floor party space to continue the party.

I’m not sure the quests will really need a late night snack, but it’s kind of turning into the norm where we live, so she wants to consider it.
Given that I would have some food at the bar/pub. Appetizers/pizza that kind of thing. It is so interesting how weddings are so different in different areas. I have never seen a dessert buffet at a wedding.

Here’s a little more info on the initial plans for this wedding. It’s going to be at a downtown venue with a mid 20s crowd and some family (120 to 150 people), open bar with liquor, cocktail hour will have a big grazing table, dinner will be either plated or family style followed by a big dance party. The bride thinks buffets take too long (thus the family style or plated service), and she also wants all the formalities (intros, parent dances, speeches, cake cutting) done quickly right after the grand entrance before and/or during dinner so that the bulk of the reception is uninterrupted party time. She and her crowd love cake, so she wants a big wedding cake versus a dessert buffet. She said she’s seen too many dessert buffets go to waste at the weddings she’s attended. She’s going to have the cake served to everyone after the main course during dinner. After the reception is over, everyone (all the young people) will go to a nearby bar/pub with a 2nd floor party space to continue the party.

So I've been reading a lot of "newer" type trends with my age group (Millennials) and below saying snacks are the way we eat. I sure love snacks but not enough to make mini meals throughout the day instead of having actual breakfast, lunch or dinner. However, why couldn't they just make it (if the predominate crowd is those mid-20s) make it more like snacks throughout instead of trying to do a main meal and coordinate late night snack? Obviously ensuring there's enough variety and amount to sustain people.

When my husband's prior work had holiday parties they were more this style. Food safety being kept in mind but they had throughout the space (which was very large, the largest in that convention center) plentiful tables of food (duplicates of some tables so crowding wasn't an issue). It was never sit down dinner and just a lot of more snack style portions. Pasta salad put in small but artfully designed bowls for example.

Seems like a lot to do a grazing table, a dinner, and a late night snack.

I'm a bit confused though if after the reception is over the young people are going to a pub nearby just who are these late night snacks meant for?

I pray all of my kids elope. Weddings are insane. I thought the trend would go to "less is best". But, my goodness! It just keeps getting crazier.

We went to a wedding recently where the after party snack was basically what I served for my main meal at my wedding almost 3 decades ago.

Then after wedding cocktails at a different location.

Rehearsal dinners are now like wedding receptions. In fact, they are deemed "Welcome Dinners". So many people invited.

Gift bags to welcome hotel guests.

And then the goodbye brunch the next day, complete with billion dollar bloody Mary and mimosa bars.

I just keep thinking these are the same people that are going to be complaining soon about how much money it costs to raise a child.

Cheers! :rotfl:
You are not kidding!!! The number of parties associated with a wedding keep climbing - the engagement party, showers, bachelor and bachelorette trips (not nights, multi day trips!), bridesmaids luncheon, rehearsal dinner and welcome party, post wedding brunch. My own daughter has been invited to participate in a bunch of these lately as a bridesmaid and the cost is breaking her budget. Thankfully she thinks some of this is over the top and ridiculous, but I’m already starting to save money for when she eventually gets engaged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter