Week of Oct 16 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Lisa. I think I worked out a plan.
I'll probably do most of the training on the ellip and bike, as i said before.

But to get my body used to moving for 5-6 hours, I'm mapping out some days at the gym where I swim for an hour, immediately shower and dress and then do 2 hours on the ellip and 2 hours on the bike.

If I give it a good 3-4 weeks to heal maybe I can try to hit the road around Thanksgiving for some fine-tuning.

Terri

Carrie,I'm in the 5:00 corral.Having injured myself twice since the summer doing speedwork I'm not doing anymore while training for this marathon.So I'm probably not gonna get any faster than my current 10:15-10:45 pace :earsboy: Are you running with someone? My daughter is running the half and I would love to be running with her. I think it would be so cool to share the experience, but I registered waaaay back in January and she just decided to run last month and didn't think she'd be ready for the full.So I guess I'll be alone but I'll be looking for those green shirts when I'm feeling :crazy2: out there.Terri,I know our injuries sound the same(I feel your pain!) I came back from my LR 8 hrs ago and still no pain (not taking any Advil either) I really think the hot soaks work realy well immediately after the run to relax the muscle.You need ice after that however.BTW... my daughters cross country coach ,who is also an elite distance runner, said she trained for her first (and every one since) marathon by running around half the distance recommended and then bike riding for as long as she should have been running the rest of the session.She said that for her,just staying active for the amount of time it takes her to run the marathon works well.So I wouldn't worry too much that you're not running for a while,as long as you're keeping your HR up as if you were.Looks like I wrote another book.Good luck with your trainig everyone :sunny:

I'm starting to feel like this years 1/2 marathon is not to be for me :guilty: I went to see the chiro last Friday and was told no running or even distance walking the entire weekend so no lr at all. I normally run on a paved road or the gravel side of the road and that is really causing me extreme problems.

We are not sure if it is actually my sciatica that is causing the problem or an old knee injury that has reappeared. Having problems with pain in the outside section of my right knee.

Sorry to be such as downer of a post but I see my dream of the start/finish line of the 1/2 and that donald medal slipping quickly away :hourglass

Minnie,if you are having pain on the outside of your knee it could be iliotibial band syndrome (or runner's knee for short :earsboy: ) Do you run in a hilly area or on surfaces that are very uneven? This is a very common overuse injury that responds very well to avoiding the hills for a bit.I'm not diagnosing you, I just don't want you to give up if it's something that responds so well to some minor adjustments. If I were you I would do a search of runner's knee online and see if you think that is your problem.I suffered from this this summer and it really felt serious,but was really easy to clear up.Good luck ::MickeyMo

I managed to do my 30 min on the treadmill this evening with a 5 min warm up and cool down. I had myself convinced my back wouldn't like it but it feels fine. It gets stiff lying down which I had to do so the PT could stretch out my shoulder and neck. Working on both area make my pt sessions 1.5 hours each 3 times per week. It will be worth it in the long run, but it is an inconvenience now when i have many other things I want to be doing.

I don't have to go to Long Island next week which gives me 2.5 weeks in a row at home. That has happened only once since March 17.

Good luck with everyones training.

You send a kid to med school and she turns into a comedian. She is very good at destressing.

The aliens got me too! I did a 4.6 miler today at an avg pace of 8:46. That's my Qualifying pace (should I ever be able to maintain it for 26.2 miles :earseek: ). I was quite pleased.

Helen-- yes I've got Sandstorm and Darude on my player (compliments of DD)

Cam-- Here are a couple more "must haves" in that (same-ish) genre:

As The Rush Comes In, Motorcycle
Mad World (Club Mix) by Jan Wayne (and others by same artist)
Fiesta de la Noche by O-zone (but Dragostea Din Tei is much better)
24 by Jem

I get that same "gotta get moving" feeling whenever I hear Scooter! I have them strategically placed in my playlists. I've tried them out on friends and family and they just look at me like I'm crazy. (Although these days they look at me like that alot, anyway).

So while you're recovering you can load up your iPod! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: For a speedy recovery!

As for the baby steps, I notice anytime I focus on getting more steps in I automatically go faster. Great tip!

Well I'm wimping out of the 5Am dark run tomorrow and going after work. DD has Dr apt so I'll be leaving work early anyway. Instead of going back, I'll just go running :teeth:

Sunny

Minnie said:
I'm starting to feel like this years 1/2 marathon is not to be for me :guilty: I went to see the chiro last Friday and was told no running or even distance walking the entire weekend so no lr at all. I normally run on a paved road or the gravel side of the road and that is really causing me extreme problems.

We are not sure if it is actually my sciatica that is causing the problem or an old knee injury that has reappeared. Having problems with pain in the outside section of my right knee.

Sorry to be such as downer of a post but I see my dream of the start/finish line of the 1/2 and that donald medal slipping quickly away :hourglass

If you have cross training access--as I said in a prevoius post--it is possible to train and not lose fitness.

Warning! I am going out of Evil Queen mode to encourage!
OK…This is new territory for me! Anyway, it seems like there are a lot of discouraged WISHers out there right now in training. Let me encourage you!
1. This is normal for this stage of training. The newness of training has worn off and the miles are increasing. I encounter this too. And can I hear an amen from the others who have ever run, WOGed, walked, or skipped rope (don’t laugh, I have seen a man do this and he was fast) a marathon.
2. If you are feeling like you will not be able to meet your goal, maybe you aimed too high. Set several goals. For example: 1) to finish in a great time. 2) To finish in a good (more realistic) time. 3) To finish with a smile. 4) To finish no matter what.
3. Like we have talked about, enjoy the journey. The race is actually the “easy” part. Training is the killer!
4. Everyday, think about how fun this is going to be and how great you will feel when you reach the finish line.
5. If you are injured, like Lisa has said, cross train. This will help you not to lose as much. Do not ignore the pain, it will only get worse.
I hope this helps! Please do not quit! We have come too far. And remember, “We do not always get to choose the circumstances we run under”. So just do your best and that will be good enough.
Now I can resume my Evil Queen activities.
Christa

gatorphipps said:
Warning! I am going out of Evil Queen mode to encourage!
OK…This is new territory for me! Anyway, it seems like there are a lot of discouraged WISHers out there right now in training. Let me encourage you!
1. This is normal for this stage of training. The newness of training has worn off and the miles are increasing. I encounter this too. And can I hear an amen from the others who have ever run, WOGed, walked, or skipped rope (don’t laugh, I have seen a man do this and he was fast) a marathon.
2. If you are feeling like you will not be able to meet your goal, maybe you aimed too high. Set several goals. For example: 1) to finish in a great time. 2) To finish in a good (more realistic) time. 3) To finish with a smile. 4) To finish no matter what.
3. Like we have talked about, enjoy the journey. The race is actually the “easy” part. Training is the killer!
4. Everyday, think about how fun this is going to be and how great you will feel when you reach the finish line.
5. If you are injured, like Lisa has said, cross train. This will help you not to lose as much. Do not ignore the pain, it will only get worse.
I hope this helps! Please do not quit! We have come too far. And remember, “We do not always get to choose the circumstances we run under”. So just do your best and that will be good enough.
Now I can resume my Evil Queen activities.
Christa

AMEN Sister!!!

I lost the number of times I cried last week after the doctor told me to not run for a week! I am doing deep water running--I will purchase a wet suit if I have to. My knee is much better--I did my 10 miles on Saturday...but did it really as a tester (and against medical advice).

remember last week, all of us were commenting how we felt like we were training for a food eating contest versus a marathon---we are nearing mid-training and it is going to feel at times like you've bitten off more than you can chew.

For half-thoners...you need only get up to 10 miles...and you have until December to build up to that. For fulls--you need only go to 20 miles and ditto..you have another month or so!

If you are cross training--mix it up if you have to....but in one day....you should be matching your times in training--and your intensity!

My teammate last year--rode the elliptical for 2 and 3 hours! Boring as sin, but it can be done. She watched movies. Whatever your training time is (or estimated training time based on your training paces up to your set back)...multiply that pace by the mileage you were supposed to do on any given day--and then whatever they are calling for that you are able to do--work for the calculated amount of time at the intensity your training program needs!

You have until January to throw in the towel! A lot can change between now and then.

Happy training!!! If you are not getting the help you need with current docs--find one who can help you! Get a second opinion! And I am a firm believer in private practice type places for chiropractic and physical therapy! I have proven many times over that corporate is not the way to go as you are a number to be processed and their goal is to make you a functioning person and not a functioning athlete...in the quickest time possible.

I had to see 2 therapists in the spring for my back b/c of this. The corporate therapist--I did not fit the formula of back pain and the woman just did not have a clue in the world. I switched to private practice that had 2 therapists that I agree with their philosophies of treatment--and low and behold...problem fixed!

Don't be afraid to find someone new.

Check the runners world injury forums at www.runnersworld.com . You would be amazed at the type of injuries you can run with--and the ones that you do need to watch and take it easy.

The aliens spit me back out yesterday. :guilty: Can you say stonker? I went with Helen's 10 minute rule and for the 1st time, turned around at 10 minutes. I just don't get it. I thought the new shoes had fixed everything. Felt fine Saturday. Yesterday, my hip hurt, and my knees hurt on top of stiff muscles. I don't know what's up with this. I can't believe I called it quits yesterday, even though I know one missed run will not kill me. I'm afraid I'll turn it into an epidemic, though. Grrrrr.... I'll cross train tonight and hope that tomorrow will go better. Notg iving up or anything, just venting.

Minnie - Hang in there! 1 weekend off will not kill you! Just cross train for the amount of time you think Saturday's run would have been. Do you have a pool you can run in?

eeyoresmom - I thought 5:30 was the lowest time you could put in without having a proven time. If I'm wrong, I may have put 5:00, not 5:30. I just don't remeber. Anyway, I'll be with dh. We'd love a third if you want to fall back with us!

Lisa loves Pooh said:
AMEN Sister!!!

Ditto, well said Christa, you too Lisa, well put!

I can reiterate that these feelings at this stage of the training are completely normal. I look at my week 9 of MFM marathon running program and I think, OMG, how am I going to get in all those miles this week? My knees are going to die. Well, I will do my darndest, even if I have to slow down to a crawl for those last few miles in my long run Friday. I have also stepped up my stretching at night and my icing as well. My legs and knees feel much more rested and recovered in the morning when I do.

I saw of physio last week and he told me that a lot of knee problems stem from an imbalance in the muscles around it. For instance, strength training both quads and hamstrings, inner and outer, etc. But most of all stretch, stretch, stretch is the key to keeping knees happy.

Off for my 40 minute tempo run today, 48 degrees here, should be perfect!

Colleen

Good morning all!

I think the best thing (especially if it's your first marathon or 1/2) is to set the goal to finish....and of course HAVE FUN while doing it. You're putting in the time and effort so keep it up!

Week is starting off pretty good. Did 4.5 yesterday afternoon which is good for me b/c I hate running after work. I have no idea what my time or pace was b/c I make a point to not wear my watch for short runs. I get really psyched out about time so on sr days I just get out there and do it.

Opinion time: I'm a little irritated about something and I'm wondering if it's over "nothing" like my DH says or if I really have a reason to be irritated.
Ok, here it goes.....I have a friend that you could say is naturally athletic. He delivers packages all day so he's in constant movement. While we were training for WDW last year he got the big idea to run in a local 1/2 marathon with us with no training at all. Of course to my horror he finished in great time (like 2:06 or something like that) but wished he had trained because he felt like crap afterward. Well now he is getting the big idea that he wants to run in the local full marathon here the first of December of course again with no training.
I don't know why but this IRRITATES me to no end!!!! I almost feel like he's mocking me with it, like he has the attitude that running a marathon is no big deal he can do it without training. I know it's horrible of me, but I secretly hope he fails miserably and that he'll get to mile 15 and bonk hard! I make a point to not even engage him converstion when he brings it up. I just say "Ok, sounds good." Would you be irritated by this too???? Or am I letting it get to me when I shouldn't, which is what DH says.

Must go for now..
~bree~

:grouphug: Minnie :grouphug: Carrie :grouphug: and others discouraged :grouphug:

TG we're not doing this alone, huh? I have a love/hate relationship with my LR. I agree with what others have said, if running isn't working or you need to heal an injury, cross train vigorously until you can get back in the groove.

Here's an inspirational quote for the day :sunny:

Mark Twain said:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Mark Twain

And of course, Disney himself said "If you can dream it you can do it" :flower:

I really think years later the one thing that will matter about this race is that we FINISHED, not how fast we finished. I can't count how many times I've thought in disgust, "whatever made me think I could do this????", but I know I can do it and I'm going to do it, and so are you :grouphug:

Sunny

Bree,I know just how you feel :rotfl2: we have a 5 mile race each year in our town that is IMMENSELY,HUGELY hilly.It seems like half the population(most aren't even runners) show up and run it in like 42 min. I've seen people wearing cargo shorts and button up shirts just gliding up those hills! It doesn't make me mad but I roll my eyes thinking I wished I had half that natural talent.I have to train to run anything sub 10:00.Some people are just naturally gifted runners,I'm not,I have to work at it,but that means that it's more of an accomplishment to me. :earsgirl:

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words!

Bree - That would annoy me to no end! I think, though, that your "wish" may ccome true. I know you do not wish your friend any harm, but a half and a full marathon are very different. I am shocked that he could finish a half to begin with, but a full is a different story. I am very afraid that he will end up dehydrated or losing too many salts or many other things. If he felt bad after teh half, that will be nothing compared to a full. I would ask him to at least read about training for a full before trying it. Maybe that wil put a little sense in him. :rolleyes:

Have to make this quick and get to work. I did 40 minutes of XT today. :) I am back on track! I sure hope it cools off for my LR on Saturday.

zoegirl said:
Good morning all!

I think the best thing (especially if it's your first marathon or 1/2) is to set the goal to finish....and of course HAVE FUN while doing it. You're putting in the time and effort so keep it up!

Week is starting off pretty good. Did 4.5 yesterday afternoon which is good for me b/c I hate running after work. I have no idea what my time or pace was b/c I make a point to not wear my watch for short runs. I get really psyched out about time so on sr days I just get out there and do it.

Opinion time: I'm a little irritated about something and I'm wondering if it's over "nothing" like my DH says or if I really have a reason to be irritated.
Ok, here it goes.....I have a friend that you could say is naturally athletic. He delivers packages all day so he's in constant movement. While we were training for WDW last year he got the big idea to run in a local 1/2 marathon with us with no training at all. Of course to my horror he finished in great time (like 2:06 or something like that) but wished he had trained because he felt like crap afterward. Well now he is getting the big idea that he wants to run in the local full marathon here the first of December of course again with no training.
I don't know why but this IRRITATES me to no end!!!! I almost feel like he's mocking me with it, like he has the attitude that running a marathon is no big deal he can do it without training. I know it's horrible of me, but I secretly hope he fails miserably and that he'll get to mile 15 and bonk hard! I make a point to not even engage him converstion when he brings it up. I just say "Ok, sounds good." Would you be irritated by this too???? Or am I letting it get to me when I shouldn't, which is what DH says.

Must go for now..
~bree~
Congrats on your sr. Bree, Hakuna-matata, (sp?) I know who you are talking about and he is VERY fit and does work out.....His ego may get the best of him this time though. You would have thought he would have learned when his DW (who thought the same thing) ran the MB marathon and you had to walk with her b/c of her knee. (Due to not training as much as she should.)
Christa

Bree -- I'm with you and I would be annoyed, too, but I keep remembering all those posts last week about how the journey is even more important than the actual event and I have to feel bad for anyone who isn't enjoying the journey.

With everything being relative, I have to compare myself to you and DH to that guy. DH isn't following a set training plan and went out and ran a 15K last Sunday. He had done some LRs but not on any set schedule. I was alternately proud of him for accomplishing that with seemingly very little effort, and a little bit annoyed that I am working so hard and following a training schedule and eating the right foods and reading everything I can get my hands on, and I am not able to jog a 5K. I just keep reminding myself that we have to take pride in performing at the best of our abilities.

The fact is that guy may finish the full marathon, and he may be perfectly fine afterwards, and that may be annoying, but so what? You HAVE to be proud of all the hard work and building you are doing -- some people will get through life achieving the same things as we do and with a lot less effort, but in the end, what really matters is that "we" achieved what we set out to do and worked for.

UGH! I am so bad at expressing myself. :rolleyes: I just want you to be proud of how hard you are working. Enjoy the journey and the anticipation.

Well I did my 40 min today w/ a 14:23 pace. Weather has been perfect here lately.

Minnie-you can do this! You still have time, ask your Dr if you can xt while you are recovering and if so you should be fine. You've come this far, dont give up now :cheer2:

Carrie-dont you give up because of 1 stonker. It happens to us all and will most likely happend again. Pushing thru that & keeping up with your program anyway is part of the journey and what helps us improve.

There is no way I could be doing this without you guys. We are here to support, encourage & listen when you need to vent. Venting is good for you, just dont give up! We can't compare ourselves to others who seem to do this with ease. If we did that we might never make it to the start line. Just be proud that you are attempting such a great thing. It isnt going to be easy, that is why everyone doesnt do it, but it will be worth it come January :banana:

Take care of those injuries!!! And remember-just take it one step at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter