Weird FREE dining/tix ?

Goofy&Sleepy

Mouseketeer
Just got back & already planing Oct. trip....We are DVC & have a ressie Oct 1-6. WE've decided to add a few days (thurs,fri,Sat 9/28,29/30) since we really want a longer trip. It's DH&me & DD1 this trip.

Here's the thing. We have AP's so we Don't NEED park tickets...however, we have family coming in on Sun. who do...IF WE ADDED 3 days at ASM thru Disney & got 3 nights & 4 park days to get the free dining, CAN WE SAVE the TICKETS for our FAMILY who's ressie starts on Sunday???? It looks like the tix must just be used w/in 14 days of the first day...If they put the tix/DP/&hotel key on one card I don't know how we can work this.

I did a quote on the web &, from what I can tell, I will end up paying $84 for ASM (w/o getting the insurance). I will then just charge the family for the price of the tix (which they were going to pay for anyway) & we'd use the free DP for the 3 days early start to our vacation.

What a finagler I'm turning out to be...oh well, it's DISFEVER!

My understanding from reading some other threads is that the passes that you purchase as part of your resort reservation expire 14 days after first use at one of the parks. So, if you decided not to use your room key at any of the parks for admission it shouldn't expire. Using the room key for dining shouldn't make a difference. Once they are used at a gate with the finger scan the 14-day "clock" starts.

I hope I am understanding it correctly. If not, maybe someone will correct me. :)

Your room keys will be imprinted with the names of your family. So, a problem could arise with the other people using them. It also might be that the package tickets expire on the last day of your ressie, but I am not sure.

Your "Magic Your Way" tickets expire 14 days after first use. Thus, if you don't use them, the 14 days doesn't start. You only have to purchase a one day park pass to qualify for the dining plan.

Now here's a real idea....if you go on 9/28 and stay at the all stars till 10/6, you will have free dining for the entire trip! I know you have DVC. Depending on your use year, can you cancel that trip and bank your points? Or rent out your points and use the $ to pay for the all star?

Yes, the DVC rooms are nicer than the All Star, but the free dining plan is wonderful. The free dining requires check in by 9/30 with a stay of up to 10 days....looks to me like you'd qualify if there is the availability.

You can use your APs for park admission and save the Magic You Way tickets for another trip...technically you can't resell them, but they never really ask for ID. If you all go in together, I can't see it as a problem. I pass out tickets to our gang to enter the park, then collect them on the other side of the turnstile--that way, the kids don't lose them.

Your DDP alone would cost $76, so if you are getting the room for $84 + tax, I'd consider that great. AAA might even get you a room discount during free dining--it's worth a phone call. My understanding is that they are the only ones who have any room discounts with the DDP.

The only problem I can see is that your names will be on the tickets. Your whole names. At the parks, if there are any glitches with the ticket machines (which happens a lot), they may ask for photo ID. DH had to show his once (out of 2 trips) because the biometric reader wouldn't let him in. After showing ID, they overrode the system and we went on our way. But that would stink, if your parents couldn't use the tickets once they got to the park.

I don't know if there is a way to trade in your room-key ticket (which you are issued on the package) for a plain old ordinary ticket, that you could then give your parents...someone else might come along and know.

Its up to guest services, they may remind you that technically they are not transferable but... they are really not transferable until once used. This presents a loop hole and they may have stopped doing that if its part of a special package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter