"Welcome Home" Losing Meaning

Well you gotta remember too that there are a lot of families that visit frequently but can't afford the DVC. Look at the campgrounds, that's filled with long time guest. Although I'm wondering if I'm part of DVC if they'll go through the whole nine yards every time I check in. I always tell them at the beginning of the check in process that we've stayed a million times and that we're cast members but they still have to go over the parking permit and the bus system, and gez I figured it out four years ago.

Well you gotta remember too that there are a lot of families that visit frequently but can't afford the DVC. Look at the campgrounds, that's filled with long time guest. Although I'm wondering if I'm part of DVC if they'll go through the whole nine yards every time I check in. I always tell them at the beginning of the check in process that we've stayed a million times and that we're cast members but they still have to go over the parking permit and the bus system, and gez I figured it out four years ago.

The DME check in is what kills me. I can be done with my CM in no time, but some of these other people tie up a CM for the amount of time they should be checking in 4-5 people. But then again they say ONE family/group member get in line and I'm usually surrounded by the families/groups that somehow don't hear that message.

I'm sorry that the "Welcome Home" has lost something for some people. Before DH & I bought into DVC (joined Feb. '07) whenever we'd stay at WL we'd get the "Welcome Home" when we'd return to the resort and we loved it. When we stayed at our 'home', SSR, for the first time last May and heard it there, we loved it. Stayed at VWL last Oct. and loved hearing it again. We feel that WDW, as a whole, is our home away from home so we don't care where or how we hear it. If it gives someone a warm & fuzzy feeling inside, regardless of where they are staying, than I'm ok with it.

The idea that DVC members should get something friendly and that other guests should not get it just because they bought a timeshare is petty and elitist IMO.

Well goodness, I guess pool hopping will be next. We certainly would not want to get something that everyone else is not entitled to, just because we bought DVC.

I don't think at any time when Welcome Home was limited to DVC was there a single time because of that, a nonDVC guest was mistreated. To even think such is well; petty.

It simply became too difficult for new CMs to keep straight, especially with the advent of more and more dual use resorts such has BW, BC, WL and AKL.

At this point I would simply be glad to get what I did pay for.

Even though we are new members, I know the first time I hear "Welcome Home", I'm not going to be thinking about the room --- to me "Home" is the World as a whole. I don't cry when I enter a resort, I cry when I walk into the Magic Kingdom! So, my feeling is that everyone should be welcomed home!:flower3:

Very well put! oh and ditto:rotfl:

All that really matters to me is that I'm a DVC owner so I can vacation how i want and when i want. Welcome Home was just a little extra something and if that little extra something is being shared with others I dont mind.

I'm surprised at the number of folks posting in this thread that don't see this as even a small issue. Personally I feel we have invested a very large amount of money in DVC and continue to do so with our annual visits. It would be nice if occasionally we got some kind of extra perk for that investment. Has nothing to do with being elitists but rather identifies us as being loyal WDW customers who continue to do business with WDW year in and year out. Sure saying "Welcome Home" to every Tom, Dick and Harry who walks thru the door is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, but IMO it just makes my DVC investment a little less special. And if that makes me elitists, so be it.

I'm surprised at the number of folks posting in this thread that don't see this as even a small issue. Personally I feel we have invested a very large amount of money in DVC and continue to do so with our annual visits. It would be nice if occasionally we got some kind of extra perk for that investment. Has nothing to do with being elitists but rather identifies us as being loyal WDW customers who continue to do business with WDW year in and year out. Sure saying "Welcome Home" to every Tom, Dick and Harry who walks thru the door is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, but IMO it just makes my DVC investment a little less special. And if that makes me elitists, so be it.

I'll take the discounts on AP's and at restuarants as my extra perk. The "Welcome home" is not what makes my ownership special for me, I'm with Adamandlisa on this one. WDW is what makes my dvc ownership special, I brought into the dvc because I was returning time and time again and it afforded me the opportunity to travel as I like for a good price.
I enjoy the welcome home I recieved just as much now as I did the first time I stayed in my "home" resort. Whether or not they say it to some one else in no way makes my stay less magical.

Welcome home is so hit and miss. I'd rather hear that my room is ready after traveling all the way from Seattle (for some reason at 6pm when I arrive, I ALWAYS hear, 'let's see if your room is ready") than "Welcome Home". It does give me a warm and fuzzy to be told "welcome home, though. I will say, once a year sis and I go for her birthday in early December and last year was the first year in many that we (she) got a birthday button, a happy birthday (to her), didn't even know they did that til someone did it right!

Well goodness, I guess pool hopping will be next. We certainly would not want to get something that everyone else is not entitled to, just because we bought DVC.

I gotta disagree with you on that one, Sammie. I hope we don't ever reach a point where a smile and a pleasant greeting by a Disney Cast Member is considered a perk rather than S.O.P.

I know I've always been in the minority on this but I never liked the "welcome home." I'm not at home, I'm on vacation. It doesn't bother me to hear it and I'm glad for others if you like it. It's just not something I look for.

HBC

Same here. The Welcome Home greetings are just not that important to me really. But, I guess to others it is.

We were in Tulum Mexico just before christmas and they used the "Welcome home". I was a little shocked. I do agree I like it for us Members. Not really very special anymore. Instead of warm feelings it really just bounces off.

I know I've always been in the minority on this but I never liked the "welcome home." I'm not at home, I'm on vacation. It doesn't bother me to hear it and I'm glad for others if you like it. It's just not something I look for.

HBC

ITA, I could not care less about this. "Welcome Home" just reminds me that I can't stay long enough to REALLY make it my home.

If you want to feel a little special, wear a DVC Hat and have a DVC CM yell out WELCOME HOME as you pass 15 feet away from a DVC kiosk. They don't do that to just anyone.

Sure, but make it tangible perks and not feel good ones. And yes it does IMO.

I don't think at any time when Welcome Home was limited to DVC was there a single time because of that, a nonDVC guest was mistreated. To even think such is well; petty.

It simply became too difficult for new CMs to keep straight, especially with the advent of more and more dual use resorts such has BW, BC, WL and AKL.

At this point I would simply be glad to get what I did pay for.
All we paid for was a timeshare to stay at, nothing more. It's not a question of being mistreated but PH will likely be next or at least in the next few years. My point was to expect welcome home to be restricted to DVC members and to be offended if someone else got it is petty and elitist, I stand by that statement. This does not cost the membership anything in any way, just like if a renter or guest gets a perk they are not technically entitled to does not cost the members in any way either. Unfortunately it does represent the attitude of a subset of the DVC membership.

ITA, I could not care less about this. "Welcome Home" just reminds me that I can't stay long enough to REALLY make it my home.

To me its always been a trite marketing slogan. Apparently one that has worked well for DVC, but it isn't nearly as cool as the secret decoder ring we got. Couldn't care if they say it to me, don't care if they say it to the unwashed masses who are not owners.

When you go the the resort the first time the "Welcome Home" is kind of cool. But sometimes it's just weird depending on the context. We went to Woodfield Mall a few weeks ago and I wanted to go to the Doorway to Dreams store to enter the sweepstakes that they had running. I didn't realize it but they have a huge kiosk in the middle of the mall so I stopped there to fill out the entry form. While filling out the form I was asked if I was a Disney fan and I stated we were members to which she gave the standard "Welcome Home". The middle of a noisy and crowded Woodfield Mall did not inspire warm fuzzy feeling of home. It just struck me as unusual.

All we paid for was a timeshare to stay at, nothing more. It's not a question of being mistreated but PH will likely be next or at least in the next few years. My point was to expect welcome home to be restricted to DVC members and to be offended if someone else got it is petty and elitist, I stand by that statement. This does not cost the membership anything in any way, just like if a renter or guest gets a perk they are not technically entitled to does not cost the members in any way either. Unfortunately it does represent the attitude of a subset of the DVC membership

That I can agree with. :thumbsup2

When you go the the resort the first time the "Welcome Home" is kind of cool. But sometimes it's just weird depending on the context. We went to Woodfield Mall a few weeks ago and I wanted to go to the Doorway to Dreams store to enter the sweepstakes that they had running. I didn't realize it but they have a huge kiosk in the middle of the mall so I stopped there to fill out the entry form. While filling out the form I was asked if I was a Disney fan and I stated we were members to which she gave the standard "Welcome Home". The middle of a noisy and crowded Woodfield Mall did not inspire warm fuzzy feeling of home. It just struck me as unusual.

That is weird!

To me its always been a trite marketing slogan. Apparently one that has worked well for DVC, but it isn't nearly as cool as the secret decoder ring we got. Couldn't care if they say it to me, don't care if they say it to the unwashed masses who are not owners.

Trite is an excellent description. It's not our "home" who are they kidding. I don't care if they say it to every single person who enters WDW property, if it makes visitors feel special then go for it. This is just a complete non-issue for me. I get 100 bucks off my annual pass, that's all the "warm and fuzzy" feeling I need. (Well that and the decoder ring of course) ;)

Feel the love!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter