Welcome to the RCCL forum

I'm so glad this forum is here. Has anyone sailed RCI through the Panama canal WITH kids? I really want to do this trip in 2015. I am strongly considering DIsney since it is a 2 week trip and don't want my girls to be bored, but the itinerary of RCI is SOOOOO much better than DCL.

Waiting for fall 2015. [unless the crew has Alaska planned...] DH doesn't want to cruise to places he's been - so PC and Alaska are good bets.

RCI itinerary does seem much better than DCL. So, we'll see.

We will miss explorer! Wish I had found out about her sooner. We cruised in march. It was great!

I am sooooo gonna miss Explorer! Been on her 7-ish times....and we love her staff and that we see familiar faces every time we cruise. We are trying to get on Explorer one more time before she heads down to Florida.

It was great sailing out of NJ. :) The Quantum will be taking Explorer's place next year. That ship is just too huge. lol

It's smaller than Oasis!

Glad to see this forum pop up - I was on a Disney trip Dec 4 through 10, and just noticed this board today.

I'll also endorse the idea mentioned by a few others that adding either another board for other cruise lines, or expanding this board to include other lines, would be a great idea too. I'm sure many who come down to Florida consider merging a Disney trip with a cruise vacation, and I certainly know as a Floridian that many of us do Disney and cruising almost equally. I just stepped off my 29th cruise in November, and a few weeks later squeezed in another Disney trip - the two go hand-in-hand for me!

I cruised RCCL many many times, but have also frequented Holland America often, and have cruised on Celebrity, Costa, Carnival, Princess, and a few lines that aren't even around anymore. Surprisingly, the one main line I haven't cruised is DISNEY! I haven't managed to find an itinerary and a date that works into my schedule on Disney Cruises yet, and they are not quite as convenient as a port for me, being in South Florida. And for some strange reason, much as I love all things Disney, I still sort of feel like my Disney trips and my cruises are very different and separate things...so though I have heard many times that Disney cruises don't have to be kid-dominated and character-heavy, it probably subliminally plays a part in my selection of other cruise lines when it comes time to pick my annual cruise.

I'm happy to see RCCL added. While DCL is great, RCCL is too! They offer many more ports, ships and destination than DCL, so I think it's a great way to enhance cruising discussion!

Woohoo!! Once people's kids start getting to their teen years, Royal Caribbean is a logical place to start looking for alternate cruising ideas.

I have enjoyed each & every cruise I have taken, and really don't have a favorite line, but RCCL Allure of the Seas is my favorite ship! However, this quote made me laugh as my DD25 and her best friend both LOVE doing Disney cruises! And my DD29 is planning to do one also! We just generally sail on non-DCL ships when we bring the whole family (on daddy's tab) due to the costs!

Looking forward to going back on Allure this New Years eve, and already have the Disney Magic booked for NYEve 2014!!

If someone would just open a retirement home on a cruise ship, that would make my day!

Woohoo!! Once people's kids start getting to their teen years, Royal Caribbean is a logical place to start looking for alternate cruising ideas.

Thanks for setting this up for everyone.

Ha! I have to say this quote makes me laugh too. We have sailed and will sail RCCL, so I'm not really knocking them, but my 16 year old and my 10 year old call Royal Caribbean "Royal Boribbean" because the kids clubs on our last sailong closed so very early leaving them very little to do in the late evening. Disney is much better at keeping the kids out and entertained.

We were on the spring break cruise out of Galveston when RCCL earned its nickname so they were plenty of kids.

YESSSSS!!! This is something I didn't know I wanted!! It'll be great to discuss RCCL with fellow Disney fans.

Thanks Pete, and just in time. We are just starting to plan our VERY first cruise EVER!

Who would be best for us to contact at DU to assist us in making our reservations?

Thanks again!
Chuck

I have enjoyed each & every cruise I have taken, and really don't have a favorite line, but RCCL Allure of the Seas is my favorite ship! However, this quote made me laugh as my DD25 and her best friend both LOVE doing Disney cruises! And my DD29 is planning to do one also! We just generally sail on non-DCL ships when we bring the whole family (on daddy's tab) due to the costs!

Looking forward to going back on Allure this New Years eve, and already have the Disney Magic booked for NYEve 2014!!

If someone would just open a retirement home on a cruise ship, that would make my day!

Ha! I have to say this quote makes me laugh too. We have sailed and will sail RCCL, so I'm not really knocking them, but my 16 year old and my 10 year old call Royal Caribbean "Royal Boribbean" because the kids clubs on our last sailong closed so very early leaving them very little to do in the late evening. Disney is much better at keeping the kids out and entertained.

We were on the spring break cruise out of Galveston when RCCL earned its nickname so they were plenty of kids.

The Royal board was added specifically for people searching for ALTERNATIVES to DCL. My point was that if people are looking for new cruise lines, Royal is a great place to start looking if you have teenagers. In no way did I imply that all kids, or even adults, outgrow Disney and should look for new cruising options when their kids turn 12.

None of my four kids liked DCL kids clubs. Lots of kids don't. If that's the case, after a while and past a certain age, Mickey/Princess visits and an occasional movie aren't going to keep teenagers interested or occupied.

Thanks Pete, and just in time. We are just starting to plan our VERY first cruise EVER!

Who would be best for us to contact at DU to assist us in making our reservations?

Thanks again!
Chuck

You can write to me at John@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com - based on what you're looking for I'll make sure I put you in contact with one our Dreams Unlimited Travel agents that specializes in that cruise line.

None of my four kids liked DCL kids clubs. Lots of kids don't. If that's the case, after a while and past a certain age, Mickey/Princess visits and an occasional movie aren't going to keep teenagers interested or occupied.
My kids don't like Mickey or Princess visits and I never hear them speak of movies they sat around and watched. They enjoy the games and camaraderie among other teens. They didn't find that on our last RCCL and they felt the midnight (or 11 can't remember) closing time was too early.

And that's not to say that we won't consider sailing with them again. I was chit chatting about a trip this morning. My 21 yr old thought ok, sounds good, but my 15 yr old said "I don't want to". Of course, it's not up to him, I make the decisions for vacation. They're just along for the ride.

As a 3 time DCL cruiser who has their 1st RCCL cruise coming up in 17 days, I am very excited for the new RCCL section! We will be trying out Allure of the Seas with a sailing date of 1/12/14 on the Western Caribbean Itinerary. Our DD who is 5 (and turns 6 on Feb. 10th) is very excited to meet her favorite Dreamworks characters :)

My 16 & 17 yro boys both disliked the teen club on Allure. They're less keen on the teen clubs on Disney's Dream & Fantasy, too. I think they prefer a smaller, tighter group which definitely isn't about cruise line, it's more about atmosphere. Our boys are big Disney geeks like us so even if they aren't rushing to line up for a character meet, they love those details. ;)

We've never cruised but are getting ready to plan one for late October 2014. Considering DCL or RCCL out of Port Canaveral so we can add a couple of days at WDW. I know DCL has transportation from WDW. Is there a similar option available for RCCL or do we need to rent a car?

I have sailed on RCCL once and DCL three times. We booked another cruise on our last disney cruise but the rules changed just after so we will have to go on this one before November 2015. I was looking to going in 2015 at a push but really wanted to go in 2016 for my 50th birthday. I have looked at the prices that disney have released for 2015 up to April and they are just asking silly money. So we are looking to book a 4 night RCCL in September or October of this year and if I can save enough for us all to go next year then that will have to be the last time that we sail on Disney. Disney are pricing themselves out of the market so it looks like cruise lines like RCCL will be the winners.

So glad this was added. We want to take our first cruise next year and the DCL is too expensive for us, so RCCL is our top choice.

I'm happy to see RCCL added. While DCL is great, RCCL is too! They offer many more ports, ships and destination than DCL, so I think it's a great way to enhance cruising discussion!

I agree the only itinerary I could afford with a child was the three/four day trips which bahamas and castaway cay did get a bit boring

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter