Well, we caved, and cancelled our July trip

Does anyone know if the DVC point 'gift' will count twice? what if I take those points and plan a November trip; the leaves fall and nothing is really better. Will I still be able to cancel and use them up until March 31st. (April UY)?

I thik we will be gun shy planningn next time as far as the children go, No calendars. No pre excitement. Wake up kiddees - "We're going to Disney World" "You have 30 minutes to pack your backback with fun things",

We did this with our boys once. Best trip ever! Surprise trips are awesome!

Sitting here wondering about August.
We had to cancel our April trip.
Holding out hope just a lot of Unkowns.
We are in the exact place you are. Cancelled April, canceled August trip early this week.Really want to go in Jan. for my birthday(marathon week) but I just don't think it'll be any fun.

It's disappointing especially for the kids. So many have had their plans cancelled, postponed - vacations, weddings, communions, showers, etc. :(. It will be so hard telling kids to stay put in a certain spot, don't touch this and on top of it all, wearing a mask when it's 90 degrees and feels like 100.

We cancelled our March reservation before they closed. We cancelled our June - Alaskatour - first time before "no cruising". We were looking forward to this so much. More than two years in the planning/talks. We have October and still hoping to go with a soft opening/restrictions. Easier for us adults to do. But it's all up in the air. My son, dil and 1 yr old grandson are coming with us. Waiting to see how it all will play out.

We will have to adjust to a "new normal". Start thinking and planning your next vacation. If I had nothing booked, I would not be going in October and I know I won't be cruising until at least 2022.

The final straw was the thought of getting the 4 and 8 year old to wear masks - no way it was going to happen. We were 70% there thinking about the lonnnnnggg lines ensuing from cleaning each and every 'car'; the potential of not all 4 parks opened, no character dinners, limited entertainment ect...but the masks on the boys - one of whom has ADHD was just too much.
It stinks, have cancelled 2 trips thus far in this mess, both included 9 y.o. GD. She’s taking it like a trooper, knows we’ll get there even if later vs sooner.

Cancelled my VWL reservation for August already, points needed banked this month & borrowed ones reinstated. Still have air in place & will book a value JIK. Also, booking something cancellable in Myrtle Beach for same week. Would be nice if one of them works out.

Sept/Oct & Nov/Dec trips’ points banking date is end of July. If anything, I’m hoping the parks are open a solid two weeks prior to see how things go with (out) seeing any hotspot develop.

You face a tough situation i.e. those who medically cannot tolerate a mask, both in WDW & the world in general

My county moves forward into yellow quarantine on Friday, masks still required. At this point, I wouldn’t dream of venturing out without a mask & expect that it will becomethe new norm at least until a vaccine is developed.

i have 185 points that expire in august from 2018 use year i grabbed a few nights for the last week in august i am on the fence we would go down for a change of scenery and to enjoy the resort but i have realized those points are going to go up in flames. we are lucky though since we go often as DVC owners if we have to go and not really enjoy the parks we know we will be back soon.....

I’m also an April UY. Canceled all my 2020 plans. Tried so hard to come up with a plan B and even a plan C For my grandkids, but threw in the towel. Still trying to sort out my points, but will end up with 300 2019 banked points to use. Hoping for a snowbird trip jan/feb just to burn through these points. I’m lucky that we are retired and have flexibility. Just hoping things are better by 2021 and we’ve adjusted to a new normal Heck, I’m even nervous that January might not happen.

This is my concern. We are scheduled to go during the later part of Jan 2021 but who knows how things will be by that time. I hoping and praying we will be starting to have some sense of normality by that time. I live in NJ and our governor seems to follow the lead of NY's governor. He just signed us in for another 30 days of lockdown on 5/6 even thought our curve is on the down slide...I think he needs to start loosing things up. JMHO

Just pulled the trigger and canceled our June trip yesterday. Not willing to spend money on partial experience. Having to wear a mask is a deal breaker for us. Wait til summer heat comes, see how long people tolerate them. I would have difficulty in Florida heat and humidity. Will give it a go next year. 🙏

The final straw was the thought of getting the 4 and 8 year old to wear masks - no way it was going to happen. We were 70% there thinking about the lonnnnnggg lines ensuing from cleaning each and every 'car'; the potential of not all 4 parks opened, no character dinners, limited entertainment ect...but the masks on the boys - one of whom has ADHD was just too much.

So after having the 3 children counting down the days on their own homemade calendars since February, their parents must tell them today, it is a no-go.

Some of my points must be used by March 31, 2021 (April UY) and the rest go to my 2021 UY. I think we can safely kiss those March points away - Not using them to go shopping in their glorified mall.

So now I have missed the birth of my first grandchild and seeing him thus far and we will miss this long planned trip. Fortuntately, we have kept our jobs. Each week, WDW closes, I wonder if they will indeed reopen in any normal experience and what the value and the realistic use of our DVC points will be. Only time will tell.
So sorry. :( We were leaving in two days for a long trip. I feel your pain. All the hours that go into planning a Disney trip makes it even harder to accept. We were celebrating my son turning 3 on Monday and daughter turned 4 two weeks ago. Oh, well - onward!

My daughter had a July trip planned for my grandson's 8th birthday. Even had a one-bedroom at the Beach Club! Cancelled it today.

My daughter and her brother were heading down Memorial Day weekend for a few days -- waiting for DVC to cancel that one.

As you can tell, my 34 & 25 year old kids still love WDW.

Holding our GV in August, at least for a little while, although it seems unlikely that it will happen.

After all the cancellations, I will have about 125 points to burn by 3/31/2021. The wife and I will probably go in January.

For a typical Disney-overplanner, it's so weird/hard to just throw my hands up and wait to see what happens.

This has been the hardest for me too. We had a 2-bedroom at AKL that we were sharing with another family. We made the decision Monday to cancel. There are just too many unknowns...what will happen to our ADRs?? Fast pass selections were pitiful. What will the waits for the rides be like?

We're losing 27 points (we'll dump to RCI), but I'd rather lose the points than risk getting sick. Our son is 10, and we're getting to the point where we're limited on missing too much school, so we are rebooking for spring break 2021 (March for us). We figured even if we have to wear masks, it won't be as unbearable (I probably just jinxed myself). Also, if we're required to wear masks in March, our son will have some time getting used to wearing one. He hasn't been out in public since early March.

The other family that was going with us isn't able to go in March, but with DVC, you need to plan so far in advance. The in-laws (his parents and adult sister) are going now. We've traveled with them before. Probably won't be able to get a 2-bedroom at the 7-month mark, so we're going with 2 studios at our home resort, Poly. Again, the unknowns are killing me, but I'm just thankful we were able to reschedule and not continue to play the guessing game.

If you're not able to use points, I'd think you could rent them. I think there are some folks that are ok with going, no matter the circumstances. Heck, some seem ok with just a resort reservation! I wouldn't give up on those points that need to be used by March...that's a lot more time than some have gotten. Our 27 points will expire in September 2020, that's why we decided to dump to RCI.

My daughter had a July trip planned for my grandson's 8th birthday. Even had a one-bedroom at the Beach Club! Cancelled it today.

My daughter and her brother were heading down Memorial Day weekend for a few days -- waiting for DVC to cancel that one.

Holding our GV in August, at least for a little while, although it seems unlikely that it will happen.

After all the cancellations, I will have about 125 points to burn by 3/31/2021. The wife and I will probably go in January.

We always go in January, it is becoming more and more busy each year. I guess the word is getting out that it's a good time to go. If you decide on going in January I hope you are able to get the accommodations you want. Good luck, sending you some pixie dust! pixiedust:

Totally understand about cancelling. I am thinking about cancelling my September reservations. If it was just me, I might consider going, but not when I am taking my 81 year old Mom. Things have to improve a lot before that will be a consideration. I have probably about 40-50 2018 banked points (December use year) on that reservation that I would lose. I might cancel the majority of the reservation except for the banked points and then try to rent that out. I plan to make a final decision in July and am hanging tight for the moment.

But with a March use year, you should still be able to bank your 2020 points, so they would not be lost. My banking deadline for my Dec 2019 use year is 7/31 and my for my Feb 2020 use year is 9/30, so I would assume you can bank your April 2020 points by end of November.

We cancelled our July 2-11th trip and rescheduled for November. We will be traveling with a 7 yo and twin 15 yo and all are used to wearing masks if we go out in public. We figure November at least gives us time to see what restrictions will be in place. Assuming mask wearing will be required at least the weather won't be too hot. Our kids were disappointed ( we had started our 100 day count down chain) but i guess it is a good lesson in life that things don't always go as planned and you have to roll with the punches.

Maybe see if you can use your points that you might lose elsewhere - maybe Hilton head in the off season or look at vero so maybe you can plan a little get away that isn't in the crowds of the parks.

I finally gave myself the talk today about how cancelling our August trip is the right decision for our family. With the new thing out about how some kids are reacting to the virus (I know rare but you never know), I can't justify taking my baby son down there. Now, I just have to call about getting a refund on my Halloween tixs and then hitting the cancel button on the DVC site. That will probably take me another few days to get the will power to do.

Keeping my GV fingers crossed for you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter