We're back & better than ever - Complete!

After walking to DHS, it turns out that all the lines (well, the lines for RnRC and ToT) were extremely long on Monday afternoon. So instead, I hopped on a bus to the TTC and went to MK instead. I got a fastpass for Space Mountain and then decided to have lunch at Columbia Harbour House. I'd been looking forward to this dish (a recent addition to the menu) for months!

Grilled salmon with steamed broccoli (I asked for extra broccoli instead of couscous)

IMG_2675.jpg

IMG_2676.jpg

The salmon was nice and moist, with a slightly sweet flavor. The broccoli was steamed and slightly crunchy (but not underdone for me) - plus, there clearly wasn't any butter or oil added to the broccoli. Overall, this was a very simple but very satisfying and delicious meal option, and I'm so happy that Columbia Harbour House now has a healthy choice besides salad. :thumbsup2 CHH was already my favorite quick service location in MK, but now its lead has grown even larger.

The place was really busy, but I was able to quickly find a window table on the second floor that looked out over the crowded Liberty Square below.

IMG_2678.jpg

Wow! It looks crowded down there!!

I, too, love Columbia Harbor House. What a refreshingly healthy counter service meal! I don't even like salmon, but that looks really good!

I haven't been to Captain's Grill in years. Must try it again. We're at the Boardwalk in a little over a month. Might be a good time to do so!:thumbsup2

Wow! It looks crowded down there!!

I, too, love Columbia Harbor House. What a refreshingly healthy counter service meal! I don't even like salmon, but that looks really good!

I haven't been to Captain's Grill in years. Must try it again. We're at the Boardwalk in a little over a month. Might be a good time to do so!:thumbsup2
It was pretty crowded! But not terrible - I think it might get worse over the coming weeks as even more schools start their spring break. :eek:

Columbia Harbour House really is such a great choice. The theming is very well done, and it's nice to have a seafood counter service option (even better now that there's a grilled option instead of solely fried or mayo-based choices). :cloud9:

Sounds like this trip would be a perfect chance to try Captain's Grille again! I think a nice, relaxing walk from Boardwalk to Yacht Club at 7 or 8 in the morning would be lovely (a 10:45 breakfast also works just fine). :goodvibes The Epcot resort area is just so wonderful - peaceful and relaxing, but also bustling and convenient at the same time. :lovestruc

From MK, I headed to Downtown Disney to try the vegan, gluten-free desserts at Babycakes. I've had some truly delicious vegan & gluten-free desserts, so I was excited to try Babycakes over the traditional Disney cupcakes (Disney cupcakes can feel too excessive sometimes :laughing:).

IMG_2684.jpg

Here's a sample of a dessert behind the counter, describing everything that isn't included in the ingredients:

IMG_2685.jpg

I picked three desserts to sample - a carrot cupcake top, a brownie bite, and a blondie cupcake top with chocolate frosting.

IMG_2688.jpg

I'll start with what I liked less - the brownie bite and blondie. I'm sorry to say it, but I didn't enjoy the chocolate flavor in these items - they reminded me of a chocolate protein shake. I didn't have too much of an issue with the texture (some people dislike how babycakes cupcakes are denser than non-vegan cupcakes).

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

The carrot cupcake top pleasantly surprised me. It was nicely spiced, and the frosting had a tanginess and creamy texture that surprisingly reminded me of cream cheese. I would go back for this.

IMG_2689.jpg

Ultimately, I think I made an ordering mistake in picking 2 out of 3 desserts that were chocolate-based. Because the chocolate flavor didn't do it for me, I wasn't too pleased with them. But the carrot cake one was quite good, and I've also heard some good things about Babycakes' donuts and fruit-based cupcakes (and I'm still intrigued by their cookies). If I stop by DTD again on my next trip, I plan on trying Babycakes again - plus, this vegan dessert tasting only cost about $5.50 in total, which I felt was worth it to try something different from other Disney snacks. :)

Our Monday night dinner was at Yachtsman Steakhouse, which is one of our favorite signature restaurants. A lot of people have Yachtsman ranked low on their lists because they believe you can get much better steaks at Shula's. I've never been to Shula's, but to those people I say: you're probably right. :rotfl:

Seriously, it seems unquestioned that Shula's has the best steaks in WDW. While that may be true, since we're not huge steak people, we're not really looking for the juiciest 30-ounce piece of meat we can find. We like Yachtsman mainly for everything besides the steak. The service is always great, and the food is growing more and more creative with each visit. I think Yachtsman is currently one of the most innovative signatures, especially if you shy away from the traditional meat and potato entrees. :thumbsup2

Here's the menu (it turns out that on Monday night, Yachtsman had just introduced some new dishes, such as a crab appetizer and updated caesar salad):

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

As usual, we had friendly service during our meal, this time from Zach. He brought out Yachtsman's great bread basket (including the excellent popover-style onion rolls, butter with sea salt, and flavorful roasted garlic).

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

We also received an amuse bouche - pork rillette with caperberry and house-made focaccia. I thought it was delicious - I loved the soft pork with the briny caperberry.

IMG_2716.jpg

We decided to try three appetizers - the oysters, crab salad, and beets.

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

The oysters were broiled and served on a bed of sea salt, along with fennel-challah crumb, melted leeks, and horseradish custard on top. The flavor of the oysters was very mild (they weren't as briny and strong as raw oysters I've had), and the topping was satisfyingly crunchy and creamy. I think this appetizer would be a good choice for someone who's afraid of trying oysters, because of the milder flavor - I couldn't really taste the oyster too much (which some people would probably prefer).

IMG_2719.jpg

The Jonah crab salad with avocado, blood orange vinaigrette, and hearts of palm was amazing. I just loved the sweet crab with the creamy avocado and slightly tart blood orange. This was my absolute favorite appetizer, and the presentation was gorgeous - so many bright colors on the plate.

IMG_2721.jpg

The beets were another great appetizer. Again, presentation was gorgeous - the plate looked like a colorful garden with the crunchy almond-cocoa soil underneath (it had a flavor that reminded me of a chocolate cookie). The herbed crème fraîche added an enjoyably sharp bite, and the liquefied beet ravioli was a cool example of molecular gastronomy (once you bit into it, a refreshing beet liquid was released).

IMG_2726.jpg

Next, it was time for the entrees. My mom chose the young French poulet (chicken) with foraged mushrooms, Tokyo turnips, and truffle nage.

IMG_2729.jpg

The plate was beautiful, and my mom thought everything was perfectly cooked. This was a really cool, upscale chicken dish with some exciting flavors.

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

I ordered the scallops with apple-glazed pork belly, lentils, smoked mushrooms, and apple cider reduction.

IMG_2735.jpg

Um, did I say I ordered the scallops? :rotfl: I actually did a double take when I saw this dish - it took me a few seconds to figure out this was my entree, and my jaw slightly dropped when I finally realized what it was. Once I got past the presentation, I enjoyed this dish for the most part. The scallops and pork belly were perfectly cooked, the lentils were earthy and delicious, and I loved the sweet and slightly acidic cider reduction. I wish there hadn't been so much pork belly (it was perfectly cooked, but full of fat - most people love pork belly fat, but I don't enjoy the flavor or texture, so I left most of it), and also I didn't think there needed to be so much crispy root vegetable garnish. Still, this dish surprised me (which is one of the things I love about Yachtsman), and I loved the flavors on the plate.

By the time the dessert menu came out, I was cracking up to myself at the hilarity of this meal - Yachtsman had already succeeded in "wowing" me (in a variety of ways), and I knew dessert would be a fun experience as well. We had decided in advance to share the cheese plate. It came with a delicious multigrain bread boule.

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

The cheeses go from top left to bottom right. My favorite was the SeaHive cheddar, which was delightfully salty and perfectly paired with honeycomb. The other cheeses were also quite interesting, with my second favorite being the Calvados on the bottom left (paired with apple butter).

IMG_2743.jpg

That should've been our final course. However, Zach had mentioned a pretzel cake on the menu with salted caramel gelato. Salted caramel gelato is one of my mom's favorite things (she's usually a chocolate person, and she just had to try some).

IMG_2738.jpg

So she asked Zach if she could just get the gelato, and he kindly brought some out. It was absolute perfection - sea salt and caramel is a match made in heaven.

IMG_2749.jpg

But the meal still wasn't over! Zach finally brought out some petite lemon madeleines that seemed to be a parting gift for every table. They were light, fluffy, and had a lovely zesty flavor. Once again, perfection.

IMG_2751.jpg

As usual, Yachtsman Steakhouse succeeded in delivering an incredible meal. There might have been some small flaws, but overall we were excited and delighted by everything that came out. This was our first time at Yachtsman where neither one of us ordered steak, and I have to say it was one of the best meals we've ever had here - this place is getting better and better for us. :cloud9:

Great updates! Can't wait to try babycakes. I am a vegetarian who dabbles in vegan. I have had some good results with vegan baking....and some not so good! :scared1:

Thank you for your reviews! WOW! Yum. Can't wait to try some "new" restaurants. Sorry we missed them in February. Must, must go back until all menus are throughly exhausted! :rolleyes1

Wow! Looks like an amazing meal at Yachtsman :thumbsup2 We are so sad that it will be closed during our visit in August.

Wow, your meal looked amazing! I am one that is afraid of oysters so that appetizers may be something I would try. Right now we have a reservation on the 25th with the scheduled refurb starting the 26th of August. A bit nervous that they may be out of things the night before they are closing but I am pretty sure we are going to take the gamble. Our meal was just too good there to miss an opportunity this year!

Great updates! Can't wait to try babycakes. I am a vegetarian who dabbles in vegan. I have had some good results with vegan baking....and some not so good! :scared1:
I'm sure you'll really like some of the items at Babycakes (but perhaps not everything)! :goodvibes

Thank you for your reviews! WOW! Yum. Can't wait to try some "new" restaurants. Sorry we missed them in February. Must, must go back until all menus are throughly exhausted! :rolleyes1
:lmao: Sometimes it feels like there's too many options in WDW. But trying new places and new dishes each time is something that makes the WDW dining experience extra special. :)

Wow! Looks like an amazing meal at Yachtsman :thumbsup2 We are so sad that it will be closed during our visit in August.
Aw, sorry to hear that. I guess these places have to occasionally close to do important work - it's just annoying when it interferes with your trip! That's okay though - this time one of my favorite rides (Big Thunder Mountain) was closed, so it's just one more thing to look forward to. :thumbsup2

Wow, your meal looked amazing! I am one that is afraid of oysters so that appetizers may be something I would try. Right now we have a reservation on the 25th with the scheduled refurb starting the 26th of August. A bit nervous that they may be out of things the night before they are closing but I am pretty sure we are going to take the gamble. Our meal was just too good there to miss an opportunity this year!
I'm sure Yachtsman will still be serving some great food even as they prepare to close. :goodvibes The oysters might be removed from the menu by then, but I like how some of the signature restaurants are constantly trying out new dishes and evolving the menu.

Oooh yummy. We are so looking forward to the Yachtsman on our Wedding Day.
Hope you have a great meal at Yachtsman! It's one of our favorite signatures, and now you can see why. :)

This is a fantastic review!

Your Yachtsman experience had me laughing. Whenever I read dining reports, especially ones where the OP posts menus, I like to "play along" and choose the menu item I would want. So I "chose" the scallops and was really excited you did too because then I would actually get to see the dish. (This rarely happens because I seem to choose less popular fish items.) I've got a mental image of what the dish looks like--I was thinking scallops atop some lentils/veggies with some small bits of pork belly throughout. Then I get to your picture, and I literally scrolled up to reread what you ordered, and I was like, "What on earth is that giant hunk of meat?!" :lmao:

Anyways, I'm glad to have seen it because I would've been less than excited if I got that much pork belly, as I'm not a big fan either.

But the service sounds like it was great, and I'm happy to see another positive review of CHH! A good fish option at a CS, who'd have thunk it. :laughing:

Thank you so much for the YM review! We have dined twice there and loved it both times. Your review has made up my mind to go a third time in May.

Great reviews!

You killed me by leaving the pork belly. ;) Mmm, I'm a pork belly lover.

Jill in CO

This is a fantastic review!

Your Yachtsman experience had me laughing. Whenever I read dining reports, especially ones where the OP posts menus, I like to "play along" and choose the menu item I would want. So I "chose" the scallops and was really excited you did too because then I would actually get to see the dish. (This rarely happens because I seem to choose less popular fish items.) I've got a mental image of what the dish looks like--I was thinking scallops atop some lentils/veggies with some small bits of pork belly throughout. Then I get to your picture, and I literally scrolled up to reread what you ordered, and I was like, "What on earth is that giant hunk of meat?!" :lmao:

Anyways, I'm glad to have seen it because I would've been less than excited if I got that much pork belly, as I'm not a big fan either.

But the service sounds like it was great, and I'm happy to see another positive review of CHH! A good fish option at a CS, who'd have thunk it. :laughing:
Glad you're enjoying the review! I also like to "play along" with the dining reviews, and I get very excited whenever the seafood option is picked. Glad you didn't have to stare down that pork belly in person. :lmao:

Thank you so much for the YM review! We have dined twice there and loved it both times. Your review has made up my mind to go a third time in May.
I hope you have another great meal there! I'm sure their steaks are as solid as ever, and it's nice to see them stepping up the rest of the menu as well. :goodvibes

Great reviews!

You killed me by leaving the pork belly. ;) Mmm, I'm a pork belly lover.

Jill in CO
Thanks for reading! I still feel kind of guilty about the pork belly, as the parts I actually ate were delicious. :goodvibes

Here's a menu pic I forgot to post - I took this pic on Monday at Artist Point. As usual, I think the menu looks great, and there are plenty of appetizers and entrees I would be happy to try (Artist Point was our dinner on Tuesday night, and I'm excited to share what we tasted).

IMG_2683.jpg

I also stopped by Le Cellier to see what their current dinner menu looks like.

IMG_2774.jpg

Le Cellier dinner receives a lot of criticism for not being "worth it." However, I think the dinner menu looks great. I've had some of these dishes before and they were all very good (the lobster chopped salad, steak tartare, upscale poutine, etc) and I think Le Cellier has made even more improvements to the menu. The scallop appetizer, crab salad, and beets sound delicious, as does the Pacific cod entree. Now if only the tables were more spaced out to match the other signatures; then maybe it would be more worth the effort to snag an ADR. :rotfl: (I had lunch at Le Cellier on Wednesday)

Finally, Flying Fish. This place has been improving to us, but it hasn't ever really been one of our favorite signatures. I still stopped by to see the current menu.

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

I'm surprised this news hasn't been posted earlier - Flying Fish added a cool new prix fixe menu! I'm sure it's going to be very popular. It includes half-size portions of two popular appetizers (the crab cake and caesar salad), as well as half-size portions of the signature entrees (potato-wrapped snapper and charred strip steak) and the banana napoleon dessert (which I've tried and loved). So if you're torn between the strip and the snapper, now you don't have to choose. :) Flying Fish is another restaurant that will be included in my review. :upsidedow

So there you have it - a preview of coming events, in menu form. Will Artist Point continue to impress us? Will Le Cellier lunch be great or just okay (as I've had both experiences in the past)? And how does Flying Fish fit into all this? These questions (and more) will be answered soon enough. :laughing:

Ohh....vegetarian sushi at FF????? Hoping they have that in October. Was not on the menu when we were there last February.

Also, Artist Point is my favorite....that smoky portobello soup is a little cup of heaven! I love it!

Thanks so much for posting these....loving your reviews!

Ohh....vegetarian sushi at FF????? Hoping they have that in October. Was not on the menu when we were there last February.

Also, Artist Point is my favorite....that smoky portobello soup is a little cup of heaven! I love it!

Thanks so much for posting these....loving your reviews!
That appetizer at Flying Fish sounds like a great vegetarian option. And I also love the portobello soup at Artist Point! :goodvibes

Glad the menus are helpful - they change so often, and I always like seeing what's on the most recent ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter