We're Going to Have a Lot of Big Protests!

Did you see the news coverage on 13 and 9? We were in the background on the 13 newscast.

Oh, and that lawyer? The one who penned the hate based Amendment 2 (what WAS his name) is quoted as saying "It meant nothing." The gathering yesterday of 500 or more here in Orlando and thousands and thousands of others worldwide meant nothing. Huh. Do tell.

Did you see the news coverage on 13 and 9? We were in the background on the 13 newscast.

Oh, and that lawyer? The one who penned the hate based Amendment 2 (what WAS his name) is quoted as saying "It meant nothing." The gathering yesterday of 500 or more here in Orlando and thousands and thousands of others worldwide meant nothing. Huh. Do tell.

I was in the background on channel 13 (for a split-second) too!

Organizers and police estimate over 1000 people yesterday at Orlando City Hall! :yay:

It doesn't matter that you don't rememer his name. History sure wont remember him.

And it may not mean anything to him now. But it will. ::yes::

"It meant nothing" is the stupid sentiment of a small man that's afraid of what he's unleashed.

It means a lot, and now that we have an administration in the white house that says it's going to be receptive to us, we need to make a lot of noise and hold them to that.

I went to the Downtown LA protest and we had between 12 and 15,000. Police were expecting as many as 40,000, but the big news in So Cal right now is brushfires.

The valley was pretty much cut off due to wildfires, so that is a big chunk of the public that couldn't make it to the protest.

I will post pictures soon, I need to get them off the camera. They aren't very good pictures, I coudn't stand the thought of trying to make my way out into the middle of that crowd.

Tongue in cheek, Rob (on the name thang). ;) Yep, gotta love those Channel 13 cameras! Move fast don't they? :teeth:

Yes, KingLouie1, I saw the reports of the fires. I knew it would have an impact on the attendance and the coverage, but that is definitely to be expected.

I have photos, but have never posted to the DIS, so am not sure how to go about it. :confused3

Our protest was quite small, but it was a terribly rainy day. Glad to hear about the great turnouts you all had though!

Three local tv stations and the newspaper all ignored us. I know that it's been covered on the national media but I was really hoping to see something locally. Here are a couple pictures that I took. I couldn't get any pictures of the speakers, just a few crowd shots.

3033578702_13a8fa7214.jpg

This one shows how close we were to the street. It's a popular area with lots of shops & restaurants so we were very visible.

3032735425_3c2946926f.jpg

The media has been suspiciously quiet world wide, quite frankly. There is some sporadic reporting (here in Orlando and other places) but nothing what the event, the turnout and the meaning is worth.

That's ok. "The Media" is not the defining entity of this world, as much as "they" may like to think they are. The internet is a powerful tool, and will be used to spread the news, the word, and the need.

"Can't stop me now..."

I was quite shocked and pleased at the same time when one of the local stations out of Dallas featured the protest as the second story on 3 of it's broadcasts. Dallas also has the added bonus that the Baptist church downtown has posted it's 'gay sermon' on their sign outside for the last 2 weeks. Last week was It's Not OK to be Gay and this week was What to Say to Someone Who is Gay. So there has been a peaceful protest outside the church too with some news coverage about it.

The media has been suspiciously quiet world wide, quite frankly.

I don't know, I think it's making international press:

Canada
Australia
Taiwan

But, American politicians rarely care about international press, and American press tends to report oddly on international press. (The number of times I've encountered Americans who thought that Canadians liked Bush--either of them--has really floored me.)

I was just looking at Obama's transition website and he's updated his agenda with additional items for our community. It's much larger than it originally was. I have hope that he hears our voices. Here's the link:

http://www.change.gov/agenda/civil_rights_agenda/

And here is the item that really caught my attention:

Support Full Civil Unions and Federal Rights for LGBT Couples: Barack Obama supports full civil unions that give same-sex couples legal rights and privileges equal to those of married couples. Obama also believes we need to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and enact legislation that would ensure that the 1,100+ federal legal rights and benefits currently provided on the basis of marital status are extended to same-sex couples in civil unions and other legally-recognized unions. These rights and benefits include the right to assist a loved one in times of emergency, the right to equal health insurance and other employment benefits, and property rights.

Support Full Civil Unions and Federal Rights for LGBT Couples: Barack Obama supports full civil unions that give same-sex couples legal rights and privileges equal to those of married couples. Obama also believes we need to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act and enact legislation that would ensure that the 1,100+ federal legal rights and benefits currently provided on the basis of marital status are extended to same-sex couples in civil unions and other legally-recognized unions. These rights and benefits include the right to assist a loved one in times of emergency, the right to equal health insurance and other employment benefits, and property rights.

He has to be careful in his first term, they all do, they have to run again in four years, but I can live with this for now.....

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't news coverage, I'm just saying (and have discussed same with many) that there isn't the amount that the event warrants.

Thank you for the Obama update. Yes, he does have to be concerned with re-election, but just imagine the guaranteed votes he'd get if he did work to overturn the hate legislation. That is not an insignificant factor. :)

I like the fact that he has that information up. I too, can live with first steps. But we must keep stepping forward. :)

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that there wasn't news coverage, I'm just saying (and have discussed same with many) that there isn't the amount that the event warrants.

From my perspective, if you're making international press, you've done well--it's not like we actually pay attention to everything that happens in every country all the time.

Overall, I think it's great that you're going to these protests and that change will come.

I was quite shocked and pleased at the same time when one of the local stations out of Dallas featured the protest as the second story on 3 of it's broadcasts. Dallas also has the added bonus that the Baptist church downtown has posted it's 'gay sermon' on their sign outside for the last 2 weeks. Last week was It's Not OK to be Gay and this week was What to Say to Someone Who is Gay. So there has been a peaceful protest outside the church too with some news coverage about it.

I only caught bits and pieces of news this weekend. I was on 24 hour duty from Sat. AM to Sunday PM with the 2-year-old that I nanny. While she probably would have taken a protest in stride, I didn't have permission to take her to one. Besides, I don't know if I would have had the energy to take her. I am getting too old for 24 hour duty! :rotfl2:

I did hear on the news last night that there were protests in multiple cities (San Antonio, Houston, and Austin) but they didn't mention Dallas. Odd.

I think there was something about the church last night but I was more asleep than awake when it was on.

I am glad Obama has added some info to the website, and I sincerely hope he is able to move this country forward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter