We're home and planning the next one!!

Loving your report!

Your night out with your DH sounds lovely - a truly special night :)

Is your daughter still claiming her AG's eyes glow red? :scared1:

How cool seeing real-life famous people :thumbsup2

Yep - the eyes are still at it in the middle of the night apparently.....although another thing that DD8 got while she was away was a flair for the dramatic!! Our quiet and lovely daughter did some growing up and now she is still as lovely, but is a complete chatterbox with an imagination that almost has my eyes glowing red!!

THE IRISH PUB: 7th Avenue, between W54th and W53rd. DH and SIL had already spent some time in this pub before the kids and I arrived in NYC. The day that they got there was FA Cup Final day - so I had looked it up ahead of time (of course) and found that this pub had the game on live, and was close to the Salisbury.

They had a great time there, so when it was Saturday night and raining, we decided to head there again for some dinner. This place was great - for adults and for adults with kids!! Firstly, it has TVs everywhere with every game possible on them - that made DH and DS happy. Secondly, they serve bangers and mash - that made DD happy, and thirdly, they have a very extensive cocktail list - you can figure out which one of us was happy about that!!

The food, the atmosphere, the service (and the cocktails) were all fantastic here, it was also nice to eat some vegetables!! We had such a good time here that we came back again for dinner the next night! Hardly the ideal thing to do when there are so many places to eat in NYC, but the rain was worse the next night, and again - it was close to the hotel, we had loved eating there, and there was always that cocktail list!! Definitely recommended!!

NEW YORK RED BULLS -VS- LA GALAXY: Seeing as my DH had spent 3 days in NYC before we arrived, he wanted me to be able to have a day doing whatever I wanted to in NYC - he's is so great!! So, when he saw that the NY Red Bulls were playing at home on our last day in NY, he booked tickets to take the kids, and I was happily left to my own devices!!

So, after breakfast we separated - DH and the kids headed off to New Jersey to the game and I headed out for my amazing day on my own. The only problem was that it was still raining - boo!

They had a great time at the game, saw a couple of ex-England players as well as Tim Cahill, so they were very happy. The only problem was that they left at the 90th minute hoping to get a jump on the rest of the crowd - and Tim Cahill scored about 20 seconds after they left their seats!!! Oh dear - not to worry, my dad here at home recorded the game, so the boys will watch it at their place this weekend (and at least my dad saw the goal)!!!

Meanwhile, I started my day alone with another trip to the Drybar - who cares about the rain, I was going to be fabulous under my umbrella - even if nobody else saw my hair all day!!

Of course I had another mimosa as I watched Clueless (a favourite of mine) with sub-titles - scary how I actually don't need sub-titles for that movie!! I left feeling on top of the world - again - and swishy swished my way out of the very glam Le Parker Meridien Hotel.

I headed down to the Diva Nail Spa on 6th Avenue and had a mani and a pedi - all the while checking my hair in the mirror opposite my chair - still fabulous!! Afterwards I went walking - the Salisbury have a giant container of umbrellas in the lobby for you to take out with you - that was a fantastic touch, and my hair-do was grateful too!!

I walked down Central Park South past the Plaza Hotel and down to Bloomingdales - they have a guy on the door there to put your umbrella into a special Bloomies plastic bag/holder thingy - amazing! I felt like a local as I wandered around, hmmmm, will I buy this Halston dress today - maybe later, will I buy this Michael Kors handbag today - maybe later, will I buy these True Religion jeans today - maybe later....all the while I was happily wearing my pants from Target.....hahahahahahaha!!!

I went from there to Sephora (heaven with black and white stripes!), Ess-a-Bagel (OMG - amazing), Tiffany (Great Gatsby inspired jewels in the windows - stunning), and lots of lovely shops in between. I eventually arrived back at the Salisbury.....hair, nails and bank account intact - my DH was delighted by all of those things!!

So....NY Red Bulls football (soccer), great stadium - recommended, and a New York City day to yourself that is all about yourself - A MUST-DO!!!!

NEW YORK CITY: I love New York, it's busy and noisy and beyond amazing. We seem to have done just about all that we can do there for a while though - with kids anyway. There are lots of things that I have planned for DH and I to do when it's just us - but those things can wait.

I loved staying out of Times Square - it felt more like we actually lived there, as opposed to staying there. There were less people and nobody trying to sell you bus tickets or handbags on every corner - yet the deli next door, the Duane Read pharmacy and the Starbucks 1 minute away made everything so much more convenient.

I would absolutely stay at the Salisbury again - nothing was too much trouble and they were lovely. It was super clean, very roomy, had really comfy beds and if you could cope with the tiny bathroom, it was perfect.

They also have a service there where you can book their town car to take you to the airport for the same $$ as the set price for the cab - and it includes the tip!! We booked this the day before we left, and told them that we would have 4 suitcases - when they realised in the morning that our bags couldn't fit into the town car - they transferred us to their LIMO!! It was hilarious - driving around Columbus Circle in our stretch - a perfect ending to a perfect week!! New York City - it's a must-do!!!!

Sounds awesome, Busy Busy. Glad you had a great time in NYC. What a hoot to see an actual filming whilst there. You'll have to go see the movie now. :thumbsup2

LOL, where are we going to meet at WDW next time?? ;)

Definitely checking my girl's dolls eyes tonight! Agggh creepy!

And trying to decide whether to switch hotels now :rotfl:

Fab TR Busy Busy ::yes::

Your OH NO moment in the cab when your DD decided to leave her mark on NY was a classic. That story is going to get a fair workout come your DD's 21st I imagine.:rotfl2:

Two trips to the Drybar! :woohoo:

Bummer your family missed Cahill's goal.

CIRCLE LINE CRUISE: In 3 trips to New York, we had never done the cruise around the island, so on our 4th trip - we finally made it happen. This was a great thing to do - we decided on the 2 hour semi circle cruise (SIL was leaving that afternoon, so time was a bit too tight to do the 3 hour cruise).

Didn't Gilligan & the skipper set sail on a 3 hour cruise with 5 passengers :confused3 Probably a good decision you took the shorter one, otherwise you would have been starring as Ginger (you'd definitely be cast as the moviestar after your mani, pedi & Drybar appointments) in a remake of Gilligan's Island :lmao:

Can't wait to read more. popcorn::

Loving your report - very jealous about your Drybar trip, I had planned to go when we were in NYC but never got the time to.

Your hotel sounds great! Glad to hear a good recommendation to add to my list in my head;)

DISNEY'S MAGICAL EXPRESS: After our surprise trip in the limo, we arrived at JFK airport and went smoothly through security. There are limited places to eat in the Delta terminal, so it was McDonalds or Pizza Hut - that's right - pizza at 9.00am!! We chose McDonalds and there was plenty of space too sit and crazy amounts of choices. You can get a 'burger' that has sausage, egg and cheese on it, but the bun part is actually pancakes!! Also, they put huge amounts of whipped cream on their shakes - watching some of the stuff that people eat for breakfast was entertainment in itself!!

Our Delta flight was easy and the Economy Comfort seats were great again. It was a 2 1/2 hour flight, which is enough time to read a People Magazine cover to cover!! We arrived and caught the monorail to the main terminal - there were people walking past us with their Disney toys and bags, they were on their way home from their time in WDW, and they had my sympathy!! Bags collected, we headed down to the best part of the airport - the bottom level, where you follow the Mickeys on the floor to the Magical Express desk. There was no line and we were through in no time, we got to the front of the aisle that we were sent down and they waved hello to us with their giant Mickey hands and walked us straight out onto a bus.

The boys helped the driver with the bags and we jumped onboard the happiest bus of people EVER!! Off we went and the driver had a chat to us all, then they show a gorgeous video of kids being surprised with holidays to WDW, then there is lots of info about what to do in WDW. I had a few discreet tears, DH proceeded to take a photo and email it home of my emotional moment, thanks hubs!! You zoom through Orlando and suddenly just up ahead is the welcome to WDW sign - hooray!!!!

We dropped some people at Port Orleans French Quarter, then it was a 30 second ride next door to Riverside.....wow!! I had stayed here with my family back in 1997 when it was called Dixie Landings, and then visited friends who were staying there in 2011 - so I knew how lovely it was, but it all seemed so much better now that I was here with DH and our kids and also that we were staying for 13 nights - happy just doesn't describe it!! The Magical Express is kind of a must-do whether you want to or not, but it's the best bus trip you'll ever take (except when you're headed BACK to the airport - boo!!)

Very much enjoying your TR. AGs are very popular in our house too - I think they secretly breed or bring secretly smuggle their friends in! DD can't wait to return in December.

PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE: *What a gorgeous resort! *I am jealous of every person that works there and every squirrel, rabbit, bird, lizard, love bug and horse that lives there. *It's beyond beautiful.

We had booked a Princess room with 2 queen beds and a pool view, our room was number 9084 in Oak Manor and it was perfect. *We were about a 3 minute walk over a bridge from the lobby, so heading back and forth with our mugs was a breeze.

We were on the ground floor, the building had 2 floors above us, and there are stairs or a lift. *Our view was of the quiet pool, which was fantastic - I counted and it was 30 steps from our door to the edge of the pool - woo hoo!! *There was also a building next to the pool with bathrooms and the laundry in it. *There were about 12 washing machines and even more dryers, so it was really easy to get washing done. *It's a hard life when you pop your towel on a lounge at the pool, pop in and put on some washing, have a swim, pop it into the dryer, have a lie in the sun, grab your clean clothes and head back to your room!! *I loved doing washing there!! *One night I took my book and sat in the laundry while it finished - I had a chat to a few people and it was a small 'time-out' from the family!!

There's no bar by the quiet pool, but the big pool with the slides, bar, lifeguards, crazy cast members playing games with the kids etc, is about a 4 minute walk away. *We stayed by our pool most of the time, it was so close and DD had made a friend from England, so she was always swimming with her - hi Sophie!!

We hired a car in our second week and the car park was also really close - room location was amazing.

The Princess theme was lovely, and the light up bed heads were gorgeous - DH would press the button in the morning and the kids would wake up to fireworks on the bayou!! *The room was big enough with a table, 2 chairs, a dressing area with hanging space and 2 sinks, and the bathroom with shower (over the bath) and toilet. *It also had a bench by the window to sit on and another large upholstered bench - the taps were Aladdin's lamps!!

As pretty as the rooms are, they were kind of dark, and if we ever go back (more like WHEN we go back!), I would just book a normal room in the mansions with a pool view. *Our princess was in love with those bed heads - but after a few days we kind of forgot about them - the pool being so close was what we would always look for again. *That had been the problem for us at the Wilderness Lodge - the pool was forever away!!

There is a lovely bar just off the lobby (where they have colouring in for the kids every night) called the River Roost. *Wednesday to Saturday nights they have Bob Jackson performing there - he's a nutcase with a piano that rocks back and forth - he sings every song that you can imagine and the crowd goes wild - DH and I found it only slightly annoying, but the lovely cocktails made him more bearable! *For some reason DH nicknamed him Chicken George - and I'll never be able to hear You're The One That I Want again without cringing!! *It seemed that every time we either walked past or were there we would hear it...."I got chills, they're multiplying'".....I get chills just thinking about it!!!

*The bar staff knew his show off by heart and one of the CMs behind the counter in the gift shop told us that he could do his act!! *People come from everywhere to see him - but I think that the poor staff are a little over him!! *We tended to head back to the room to watch the basketball playoffs anyway!!*

The Riverside Mill Food court was fantastic, from the first time that we went in there to collect our mugs, until our last minute there - everything was great. *There were lots of choices and even some veggies - YAY!! *Their make our own salad was amazing for when you craved something crunchy that wasn't a French fry!! *

.....but.....every hour something happens that will stay with me......f o r e v e r .......on the hour they play this ridiculous song with a mad voiced dude screaming "does everybody wanna have fuuuuuunnnn"? *Then the song plays and the poor staff have to clap and bang on tambourines - it was so funny, and again - it seemed that every time we walked in there the song started. *

All of these silly things, along with amazing staff, a fabulous gift shop, a great arcade that the kids loved, beautiful scenery, the boat that takes you to Downtown Disney, lots of buses heading to the parks, happy people everywhere and the fact that you are in WDW made this the perfect place to stay - we all adored it, loved it, will never forget it!!

*loving the recap of POR*

*making me wanna go back*

*for a moderate resort, it rocks!! Just like YeeHaw Bob's piano!*

Thanks for sharing. Loving this report. Keep it coming.

** thanks PIO ** !!

PS...Chicken George needs to a duet with Justin Timberlake - I would definitely listen then!!

LILO & STITCH CHARACTER BREAKFAST: After a relaxing first night (there was a GIANT storm, so we stayed at POR for dinner, unpacked, washed and got an early night), we were up and at it early on Tuesday morning. We had an ADR for 7.55am, so we decided to grab a cab instead of spending ages getting to the Polynesian Resort.

Cabs were always easy to get, the driveway attendants at POR were beyond lovely and there was an amazing 85 year old CM who loved the kids (DS15 was almost twice his size at 6'4"!), and was always handing out Mickey stickers. Had a lovely cab driver who - OMG - was from the same suburb in London as my husband!! So they reminisced (discussed where they used to drink), and we were being aloha'd before we knew it!!

The Polynesian Resort has everything.....the waterfalls and plants everywhere make it look, sound and smell amazing. Hubs said goodbye to his new old mate and in we went, through the lobby and up the gorgeous stairs to the second floor, where we checked in to 'Ohana for our breakfast.

We were seated at a table right by the window, and there it was....beyond the trees the CASTLE was shining in the morning sunlight - I was in heaven!! The staff were lovely (of course), and they got the juice and coffee happening straight away. You also get a basket of sweet, cakey bread that was really yummy.

They give you a big platter of fresh fruit, the raspberries and pineapple were faboo. Then there is another platter of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, potatoes and biscuits - THEN you get Mickey waffles. Wow - this is the kind of breakfast that lasts you ALL day long!!

We met Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto - they were all great. I definitely prefer meeting the characters at meals like this as opposed to lining up in the parks. If there was somebody that DD really HAD to meet, I would happily line up, but it just seems like a lot of time waiting in lines when we could be doing other things - like waiting in lines for rides!!!

All finished, we made our way to the monorail, which arrived straight away, and we were at the Magic Kingdom before we knew it.

The opening ceremony was about to start, we joined the crowds and watched the CM's sing and dance, then the train arrived with the characters and the family of the day appeared and waved at all of us (probably thinking - yes, it's us - not you, so there)!! The gates opened and off we went, all of a sudden Tiana was walking next to us - she was beautiful - happily floating up Main Street!! I had some tears as the castle came into sight, I had missed it so much and it felt even bigger than before (and there was no ugly crane next to it this time). Honestly, every time something lovely happened, my kids would look at me to see if I was crying (and yes, sometimes I might have been)!! So, Lilo & Stitch breakfast - fun and yummy - I'd definitely go back!!

THE MAGIC KINGDOM: ......my thoughts - just in case you don't know if you'll actually like it!!!

OK, there is literally no place ON EARTH like the MK, if I could wiggle my nose and go anywhere - it would be there, and I'm not the only one, right?!

We had a 10 day park pass, and spent 4 of those days in the Magic Kingdom. The new Fantasyland still has the giant 7 Dwarves roller coaster being built in the middle of it - so you have to walk in a circle around it, it looks so big, and since it's not finished, I will have to go back to see it all done and then write about it!!

The Little Mermaid ride was lovely, what's not to love? We accidentally went into the wrong entrance and ended up being in the meet Ariel section. I had no idea and we waited, then we're asked "how many in your school"? So gorgeous!! We went in and met Ariel and I thought that it was all part of the lead up to the ride, after meeting her, we walked through the next corridor and found ourselves outside - huh?! Stupid me - and after all of my talk about not lining up to meet characters!!

Once we actually found the right line for the ride, it was quick to get on and had me singing Under the Sea for the rest of the day!!

2 Dumbo rides is so smart, there is a fast pass side and a just line up side - very quick to get on and you get a great view from up there!! Goofy's Barnstormer is a tame roller coaster (my kind of roller coaster) that lasted for about 25 seconds!! I wouldn't want to line up for very long for such a short ride!! I think that the new Fantasyland will be amazing when it's done, things are still a bit all over the place - and the giant building site in the middle means that there is a lot of walking around things - still MK though - so you can make me walk wherever you want!!

We did all of our favourites, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Magic Carpets, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain (6 billion times), It's a Small World, Peter Pan, Pooh Bear, the Carousel, Philharmagic, the Tea Cups, Buzz Lightyear Spaceranger Spin, Tomorrowland Speedway, Carousel of Progress, People Mover....I can't think of what else we did!! No wait was too long - I think the longest was 25 minutes in the Pooh Bear line - because DD wanted to spend time in the interactive queue - if you fast pass that ride, you miss the 'honey wall'. Back in 2011 we fast passed it and she has talked about missing out on that wall ever since - so because we love her (and to shut her up!) we lined up - one child was thrilled, the other not so much - you can figure it out!!

Despite being to Disneyland and WDW before, I have never been able to get DH or DD onto the Haunted Mansion. DH always thought that I was trying to scare DD - how frustrating!! So this time I insisted - you will LOVE it, just get on!! So, the two of them rode it together and I was waiting to hear about how terrified she had been when we got out of our doom buggies - but what a surprise (insert sarcasm)....she LOVED it!! DH was also amazed by how detailed and fabulous it is. So now DD has a favourite ride - it's the Haunted Mansion!!!

I love that there are plenty of places with shade in the MK - lots of spots to cool down and to have a drink - this feels like the "coolest" park to me, with no giant expanses where you have to wander in the blazing sun. It's perfect - day or night, but you already know that!! The Magic Kingdom - MUST-MUST-MUST-do!!!

Enjoying your TR. Have marked the Salisbury in NYC down for any future trips to NY as we much prefer an apartment and not in Times Sqe. Sounds like the trip is all you were hoping for. Wonderful. Glad you have been having so much fun.

Sounds so awesome!! :D :D

You know what? I reckon I might even miss that crane, just a little bit ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter