We're Still Hungry! A DDW July Getaway - 8/5 Complete!

IMG_4568.jpg

YAY! Thank you so much for this pic! We have our very first ADR for GF Cafe in January and this entree is what I've been drooling over. It seems so...tame for your tastes though! :lmao: But I adore mushroom risotto even though it can be so hit or miss...your photo of this entree looks amazing and I'm so glad to hear it was as good as it looks! And I'm fairly certain DH will order that burger...which means I get to try one of those yummy chips! Win Win! :laughing:

Once again your stellar reviews have me changing all my plans around lol! *So excited that you are going back in such a short time because I have more reviews to read before we go!

As much as I love to do live reviews I love to read them too :lmao: *Since I rarely sleep and my husband loves to sleep the reviews give me something to do when I get sick of watching the top 7 things to do at WDW :rotfl2:

Luckily I have never had trouble with the internet, well at the Dolphin I did but never at the WDW resorts, even when I had to pay for it. *I too use Photobucket and it can take a few minutes for 50+ pictures to load from my computer to PB. * *

The GF is a great place for a meal and to me its like a mini signature, just like the Wave dinner. *That burger looks incredible, might have to get that!
Ironically, I'm typing this reply on my phone since my computer won't connect to wifi. :laughing: We often have problems connecting to the free wifi at WDW, and honestly the old ethernet cable worked better for us. As for a live report, it sounds like fun, but I'm impressed if you can write your reviews and wake up in time for rope drop! :thumbsup2

Agreed on GFC and the Wave - they both seem to be a step above the typical 1-credit location. After this trip, they're both among my favorites. :cloud9:

Wow, that burger looks incredible! *That might just give the Le Cellier one a run for its money. And those chips...YUM! :thumbsup2

You know, I have never eaten at GFC for any meal other than breakfast. *I do love their maple-vanilla French toast. *But it sure would be a lot easier to get my family there for lunch or dinner than breakfast. *Hmm...so now you got me thinking. :scratchin

Anyway, once again you have another great set of reviews, Donald! * Or wait a minute...you don't by chance have a surprise dessert still in store for us??? *Now that I think about, it's not at all like you to pass up dessert. *:confused3
I wish. :lmao: Sadly, we didn't order dessert, and I have no pictures or descriptions of any GFC dessert. :sad2: I did like the chocolate fondue in 2010 (which I could happily order again), and overall I think GFC is worth a try for lunch or dinner. :thumbsup2

I bet the burger could give Le Cellier's burger a run for its money (I've never tried LC's, but I'm planning to!). ;)

Wow, wow, wow! I have to try that burger! It looks amazing and those chips look like a really great change from what you would normally see. Oh, the 'List' keeps growing by the day! :laughing: So happy to hear that your last minute restaurant change worked out well. :goodvibes

I noticed a few pages back you mentioned my favorite four letter word...Wawa! That is my coffee spot here at home. Glad you are able to enjoy it while you're at school.
Oh, this burger definitely belongs on the list. It might even deserve a VIP spot on the list (and I'm not normally enthusiastic about burgers). :love:

As for Wawa, it's great! (especially when it's 11pm or later, and the only open food options near campus are McDonalds, a supermarket, or Wawa). Their coffee tastes really good, and their sandwiches can hit the spot as well. :thumbsup2

Wow! That last meal looks amazing. :thumbsup2

I'm always puzzled with the honeycomb accompaniment. DH has a coworker who has bees, and brings us fresh honey and honeycombs, but I never now if you must actually eat the wax or not. :rotfl2: I never asked because I'm kinda embarrassed... :lmao:
Even if I wasn't supposed to, I ate it (and I liked the texture!). :laughing:

So sorry your mom wasn't feeling her best. Certainly glad that your last meal at GFC was a winner. The lobster burger looks so tasty!

Can't wait to hear what the lineup will be for the next trip. *Can you give us a teaser?
The burger was a real hit, and such a huge surprise. In fact, if we go back to GFC, I just might get that burger.

Next time, you'll probably see a lot of the same places, including Jiko, Narcoossee's, Wave, Grand Floridian Cafe, and Art of Animation (as well as some places I meant to fit in last time, like Sanaa, San Angel Inn, and Artist Point). San Angel Inn is currently the only new one for me, but I'm looking forward to it! :goodvibes

YAY! Thank you so much for this pic! We have our very first ADR for GF Cafe in January and this entree is what I've been drooling over. It seems so...tame for your tastes though! :lmao: But I adore mushroom risotto even though it can be so hit or miss...your photo of this entree looks amazing and I'm so glad to hear it was as good as it looks! And I'm fairly certain DH will order that burger...which means I get to try one of those yummy chips! Win Win! :laughing:
It was definitely a relatively tame choice, but I guess I was just in the mood for something simple and well-executed. :thumbsup2 Their other entrees don't sound too "out there" (steak, pork chop, pasta, or shrimp and grits), but even a simple dish can be wonderful to me if it's prepared well. :)

Their other entrees don't sound too "out there" (steak, pork chop, pasta, or shrimp and grits)

That's what YOU say! I still cringe when I see shrimp and grits! I'd never heard of it until I moved down here..and now I feel like I see it all the time on Chopped. I love shrimp, but I've only had one very unsuccessful spoonful of grits, and I can't wrap my head around the combination. Chicken and mushrooms, now THAT makes sense! :laughing:

Yummmmmm both of your entrees look wonderful! I had my eye on the mushroom risotto chicken dish. I will definitely keep the dinner ADR at GFC. Ahhh your review brings such relief.

What a lovely window seat and I do like the fresh rose on the table - such a nice touch for a non-signature. (The girly girl in me really likes that too!)

I think I'll get over the shock of you not ordering dessert. :rotfl:

Sooooo.. you will be at WDW when we are How EXCITING!!! Would love to see if we could meet up for a quick cupcake or strawberry ricotta parfait or Dole Whip!!! :rotfl2: I would be completely honored to say that I have met DonaldDoleWhip in person!!!! :dance3:

That's what YOU say! I still cringe when I see shrimp and grits! I'd never heard of it until I moved down here..and now I feel like I see it all the time on Chopped. I love shrimp, but I've only had one very unsuccessful spoonful of grits, and I can't wrap my head around the combination. Chicken and mushrooms, now THAT makes sense! :laughing:
I haven't had shrimp and grits often, but from what I've heard about the dish (mainly from Top Chef), it's almost like comfort food in the South. Interesting to hear that it's popping up a lot on Chopped as well.

I'm not a big fan of grits either (which is why I probably wouldn't choose that dish), but that's mainly because of the fact that they can be overly heavy, creamy, and buttery for me. If I'm going to eat something unhealthy, it better be worth it (like every single component of the GF burger!) :thumbsup2 In retrospect, the grits in GFC's dish could be awesome since they're made with mascarpone - mascarpone makes everything better! (it's the reason why tiramisù is delightfully light yet creamy at the same time :cloud9:)

Yummmmmm both of your entrees look wonderful! I had my eye on the mushroom risotto chicken dish. I will definitely keep the dinner ADR at GFC. Ahhh your review brings such relief.

What a lovely window seat and I do like the fresh rose on the table - such a nice touch for a non-signature. (The girly girl in me really likes that too!)

I think I'll get over the shock of you not ordering dessert. :rotfl:

Sooooo.. you will be at WDW when we are How EXCITING!!! Would love to see if we could meet up for a quick cupcake or strawberry ricotta parfait or Dole Whip!!! :rotfl2: I would be completely honored to say that I have met DonaldDoleWhip in person!!!! :dance3:
I hope you enjoy GF Cafe dinner! It's definitely a satisfactory change from constant signature meals (while still providing good food)! :goodvibes

We should definitely try to meet up somehow! The 18th or 19th would work best for me, so I'm sure we could find a perfect time and place. :thumbsup2

I have to ask a burning question.... do you cook? Like as in gourmet cuisine?? You are a master of knowing food so well and understanding so much about the dishes on the menus - it is quite impressive. Just thought I'd ask since I would not be surprised. :thumbsup2

I have to ask a burning question.... do you cook? Like as in gourmet cuisine?? You are a master of knowing food so well and understanding so much about the dishes on the menus - it is quite impressive. Just thought I'd ask since I would not be surprised. :thumbsup2
Honestly, I don't cook (and I keep asking myself why I don't :rotfl:). I definitely enjoy learning about food, spices, and cuisines, and I could probably prepare better food than what's available in my dining hall. :lmao:

Echoing everyone else's comments ..... another fantastic review :goodvibes

I am now adding GFC to my must do list!

GFC looks so pretty. And your meals look outstanding! I was surprised by how much lobster is on the burger. Yum!

That cheese platter looks amazing. it inspires me to order at least one on my trip. As for that burger, WOW. I am going to see if I can switch around ADRs. Lol.

Echoing everyone else's comments ..... another fantastic review :goodvibes

I am now adding GFC to my must do list!
I hope you like GFC whenever you try it! Hopefully they have some fish/vegetarian options that are also completely delicious. :)

GFC looks so pretty. And your meals look outstanding! I was surprised by how much lobster is on the burger. Yum!
Agreed about the lobster! Even though the arugula on top initially made it hard to tell, we thought the burger had more than enough of each component. :thumbsup2

That cheese platter looks amazing. it inspires me to order at least one on my trip. As for that burger, WOW. I am going to see if I can switch around ADRs. Lol.
Definitely order at least one cheese plate! I can't fully appreciate cheese plates (since I naturally dislike most blue and goat cheeses :(), but even from the parts I've gotten to try, it's clear that quite a few Disney restaurants serve a great cheese plate. And I think that burger is definitely worth a try - fortunately, it's on both the lunch and dinner menus. :goodvibes

I've been travelling on business and am just catching up on the last several days, so I need to ask you to skip back to that Contempo Cafe flatbread. You mentioned that the spinach and artichoke base reminded you a bit of a dip. Is it a cheese base? :goodvibes Or does it have a taste of mayonnaise? :sad2: Or a ranch-style dip?

I've been travelling on business and am just catching up on the last several days, so I need to ask you to skip back to that Contempo Cafe flatbread. You mentioned that the spinach and artichoke base reminded you a bit of a dip. Is it a cheese base? :goodvibes Or does it have a taste of mayonnaise? :sad2: Or a ranch-style dip?
To me, it seemed like a mostly cream base, with a touch of cheesiness. It was pretty mild overall, allowing you to taste the chicken, tomato, and basil. :thumbsup2

Just to be sure, I googled a recipe of spinach and artichoke dip. The recipe (from Alton Brown on Food Network) includes cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, and parmesan cheese - a bit of everything! If the base at Contempo included mayo, it was well-hidden, since I've never liked the flavor or texture of mayonnaise.

As I mentioned earlier, we didn’t order dessert at Grand Floridian Cafe. In fact, we never even looked at dessert menus after finishing our entrees.

That’s because the same manager who helped us out at Narcoossee’s (who we encountered again at the GFC podium) was planning a surprise for my mom.

While walking to our table at the beginning of the meal, she asked me if my mom had enjoyed the baked chocolate mousse at Narcoossee’s - the answer was definitely yes! I was amazed by her sweet gesture, and I kept quiet about it so my mom could be fully surprised.

Soon after the burger and chicken plates were cleared away, Melissa came by to tell us there’s a reason that we hadn’t received dessert menus yet, and that the manager had arranged something special for us. My mom had no idea what was coming; I was giddy with excitement, since I was in on the surprise. :ssst:

Pretty soon, this awesome Narcoossee’s dessert turned up: baked chocolate mousse, served warm and chocolaty with bourbon-caramel sauce.

IMG_4571-1.jpg

IMG_4570-1.jpg

However, my mom wasn’t the only one caught off guard. I was completely stunned as well, as soon as I saw this...

Keep scrolling down - you're almost there...

IMG_4572-1.jpg

My jaw literally dropped. I didn’t even know how to react to this plate. Was this real life? Should we attempt to eat everything? After spending a few minutes in shock, I realized I had to start taking pictures of it. ;)

Here’s the almond-crusted cheesecake with Lambert cherry sauce:

IMG_4573-1.jpg

Here’s the pecan tart with caramel sauce and chocolate cream:

IMG_4574-1.jpg

Here’s the spring cherry clafoutis with white chocolate gelato:

IMG_4575-1.jpg

And finally, the strawberry shortcake with Chantilly cream and strawberry sauce:

IMG_4576-1.jpg

Our table was covered with dessert!

IMG_4581-1.jpg

Since we couldn’t make it to Narcoossee’s, the manager said she wanted to bring a taste of Narcoossee’s to us. I think it’s obvious that she succeeded in her goal.

This was a very surreal moment for us. After offering desserts to the table next to us and to Melissa (everyone declined), we finally realized what he had to do: start eating. :rotfl: We decided to eat the clafoutis (since it’s served with gelato on top) and baked chocolate mousse (since it should be enjoyed warm) in the restaurant. Both were as good as they were when we enjoyed them at Narcoossee’s. The other three desserts ended up coming back to our room with us, where we picked at them throughout the night. Honestly, I think they’re all great dishes, and which one you prefer is mostly a matter of personal taste. A fan of simple, fruity desserts might enjoy the beautiful strawberry shortcake; the pecan tart is sweet, crunchy, and gooey, with a fun touch from the fresh chocolate cream; and the almond-crusted cheesecake is a uniquely delicious combination of flavors and textures (almonds and cherries are a perfect match – raw almonds even taste like cherries to me!).

This moment was a total surprise for both of us, and it was completely magical. But like I said earlier, even ignoring dessert completely, we were still extremely happy with the food and service at Grand Floridian Cafe. You could pretend that this update never happened, and I still would be raving about GFC. However, this moment pushed the experience over the top, and we'll never forget it. That manager certainly didn’t have to do this, but we’re both so thankful for her kindness. :worship:

For a while now, I’ve been dropping hints about something truly surprising, and hopefully this update delivered. I was very careful with my wording in the previous GFC review (pointing out that we didn’t “order” dessert :laughing:). Even if you picked up on this (jabead ;)), I hope the surprise was still fun to read. After all, I knew a surprise was coming during our meal, and I was still blown away by what happened. :goodvibes

Wow, wow and once again wow
What a wonderful and sweet (literally) gesture from the manager :)
It sounds like this was a truly memorable evening for you both ..... Just fab!

Wow, wow and once again wow
What a wonderful and sweet (literally) gesture from the manager :)
It sounds like this was a truly memorable evening for you both ..... Just fab!
It was incredible - completely unexpected (and fortunately the kind of thing that doesn't happen all the time - otherwise I would probably have diabetes :laughing:), but definitely a magical moment that screams "Disney". :cloud9:

That must have been so magical to experience in person. It was awesome to just read and look at. They all looked delicious. But I like how they are so different from each other. I would have had a hard time choosing which one to eat first. Even though I may not have ordered some of them, I wouldn't turn them away either. :lmao: That must have been one yummy evening you and your mom had. That manager really knows what customer service really means. Just fabulous!

That must have been so magical to experience in person. It was awesome to just read and look at. They all looked delicious. But I like how they are so different from each other. I would have had a hard time choosing which one to eat first. Even though I may not have ordered some of them, I wouldn't turn them away either. :lmao: That must have been one yummy evening you and your mom had. That manager really knows what customer service really means. Just fabulous!
It was extremely magical - we've received special touches at quite a few restaurants, but nothing on this scale! Agreed - we also probably wouldn't have ordered most of these initially. In fact, if we had made it to Narcoossee's instead of GFC, we were planning on splitting the cheese plate at the end of the meal. So much for that. :rolleyes: :rotfl2: But having the opportunity to sample all these desserts was awesome. In fact, now that I've tasted some of them, I'm probably more likely to order them in the future! (I had forgotten how good the almond-crusted cheesecake was :thumbsup2)

You're so right about customer service - it's not just the desserts that mattered, but also the fact that she went out of her way to put a smile on our faces. WDW is full of amazing cast members, and these people are the ones who make Disney such a happy place to be. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter