WestJet - change fee if there is a storm on day of flight?

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
I'm currently browsing WestJet's website while on a long hold with WestJet. I wondered if anyone here would know.

If it turns out there will be a storm affecting flights and it's known in advance, does WestJet allow people to change their flight with no fee? I've read some airlines do. Back in January this year, Air Canada issued a 3 day advisory and let people change flight dates with no fee.

I'm currently browsing WestJet's website while on a long hold with WestJet. I wondered if anyone here would know.

If it turns out there will be a storm affecting flights and it's known in advance, does WestJet allow people to change their flight with no fee? I've read some airlines do. Back in January this year, Air Canada issued a 3 day advisory and let people change flight dates with no fee.
YUP! We had to do this last January -- a freezing rain storm was forecast for the day our flight was scheduled and WJ issued a travel advisory which allowed us to change/cancel our flight at no charge. We had booked thru Expedia but were still able to change our flight for the day before, to any flight we wanted, at no charge. Was super easy to do, took me maybe 10 minutes and that was only because I couldn't find a pen! We ended up needing to take a connecting flight thru La Guardia that turned into an adventure of it's own (another story for another time :P ) As soon as i changed the flights and checked in online to get our seats (since the flight out of Pearson left in less than 5 hours!) I hopped onto the Disney site and booked a room for that night at the AllStars Music resort for $89.72 all-in, called ME to alert them to our flight change, quickly finished packing the suitcases and headed down the 401. Was so much fun to arrive a day early ... we skipped thru MCO like little kids up to the empty check-in desk, boarded an empty bus that left once 2 other people got on and had a BLAST!

YUP! We had to do this last January -- a freezing rain storm was forecast for the day our flight was scheduled and WJ issued a travel advisory which allowed us to change/cancel our flight at no charge. We had booked thru Expedia but were still able to change our flight for the day before, to any flight we wanted, at no charge. Was super easy to do, took me maybe 10 minutes and that was only because I couldn't find a pen! We ended up needing to take a connecting flight thru La Guardia that turned into an adventure of it's own (another story for another time :P ) As soon as i changed the flights and checked in online to get our seats (since the flight out of Pearson left in less than 5 hours!) I hopped onto the Disney site and booked a room for that night at the AllStars Music resort for $89.72 all-in, called ME to alert them to our flight change, quickly finished packing the suitcases and headed down the 401. Was so much fun to arrive a day early ... we skipped thru MCO like little kids up to the empty check-in desk, boarded an empty bus that left once 2 other people got on and had a BLAST!

Awesome, thank you! Did you need to phone them, or were you able to do this change online? If online, I imagine you need to log into your reservation to made the change?

I'm a bit worried after reading about a potential storm starting in Colorado and moving up to Ontario for the weekend. The information on it seems very vague so far. Hopefully it won't happen. The Weather Network is forecasting a lot of rain Friday through Monday. I hope that's all it ends up being. We're suppose to fly out Saturday evening to catch on a Sunday cruise. We couldn't get flights Saturday morning and our friend did not want to fly out on Friday. I should have told him we would meet him when he arrived..

Awesome, thank you! Did you need to phone them, or were you able to do this change online? If online, I imagine you need to log into your reservation to made the change?

I'm a bit worried after reading about a potential storm starting in Colorado and moving up to Ontario for the weekend. The information on it seems very vague so far. Hopefully it won't happen. The Weather Network is forecasting a lot of rain Friday through Monday. I hope that's all it ends up being. We're suppose to fly out Saturday evening to catch on a Sunday cruise. We couldn't get flights Saturday morning and our friend did not want to fly out on Friday. I should have told him we would meet him when he arrived..
I went online first to pick the flights i wanted to take and then called -- i didn't wait very long at all. Just checked my email and the notification i got confirming the changes is time-stamped 10:30 am so it wasn't busy even though it was during regular business hours.

Just keep checking the WJ site and as soon as you see the travel advisory pop up (if it does) call them! You might want to be ready with some suggestions of flights you would prefer to take

Because i keep ridiculously stupid accurate information for waaay longer than i need to i was able to find this for you. This was on the WJ site on the 16th of Jan and our flight was the 17th.
upload_2017-1-16_6-21-11-png.215346

Earlier in March I called to see if I could bump up my husbands flight so he could get out before a storm. No fee to change, just had to sit on hold for an hr and half to talk to someone. But when I finally got through was quick and painless. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter