Wet Bags

KyleAfterAWhile

DIS Veteran
We do not go to Disney often, but each time we do, when Magical express delivers my bags, everything in them is wet and the outside of the bag is nearly drenched. It is not raining when we leave home and it is not raining when we get to Florida. Any idea what may be causing this every time? (I do not pack liquids in my bag beyond toiletries)

other people carrying liquids in their luggage that leak.
Yep. I only ever have it happen when we go to Orlando. People who are too cheap to just have bottled water delivered and don't bother to pack it properly.

This is the exact reason why every single thing that I pack gets out into a Ziploc bag first.

I believe they can also get wet on the plane because the cargo hold is generally cold that high up in the air and when landing in humid locations, condensation can form.

Any chance you regularly land around 2-4p in Orlando? Is it possible one of the famous "Florida Thunderstorms" struck as you're walking through the terminal?

Wow! I've taken the magical express/had them deliver my luggage at least 10 times in the last several years, and have never had that issue. Maybe I've just been lucky?
For my upcoming trip, I've bought everyone in my family a waterproof dufflebag/backpack to use. I've used it for several other trips so far, and it's really rugged and sturdy. https://www.nargear.com/shop/firefighter/carry-on/

Any chance you regularly land around 2-4p in Orlando? Is it possible one of the famous "Florida Thunderstorms" struck as you're walking through the terminal?

100% my thought. Far more likely than someone having liquids that break on every single trip.

I had this happen on our return trip in July (MCO to DEN). I noticed the suitcases, one in particular, felt kind of wet as I was loading them into our car. When we got home, I was going to unpack just the essentials and save the rest for the following day. Well, I started to unpack and realized everything was soaking wet! I couldn't leave it. Stuff was already ruined (a DVD player met its demise on that flight as did a hair dryer, my kids books, a pillow, and all of our paper souvenirs, including the banshee boxes we unfolded and out flat into a suitcase). I immediately called and notified Southwest. They had me photograph everything but have never done anything about it. Makes me angry, but what else can I do? It's been 6 weeks at least.

I still have no idea what happened. It wasn't raining in Orlando or Denver. People bringing home all of their unfinished water? Seems unlikely but could possible. My kids said everything was wet like the suitcases fell into a swimming pool, and they're right!

I am giving serious consideration to investing in hard-sided luggage. I don't like what I'm reading here, that other people have arrived to this kind of mess?! What a disaster! The only good thing I can say about this is at least it happened to us coming home. It would be a nightmare to arrive in WDW to soaking wet luggage. Next trip I am lining the suitcases with large trash bags and packing everything important (clothing, DVD player, etc) in ziplock bags.

Once we had a wet suitcase coming home. SW said during a thunderstorm, the suitcases are left were they are until lightening passes. From then on, I pack my clothes in large clear trash bags. Usually two per suitcase.

If there is a thunder shower, which is very common for Florida this time of year, and the luggage is out in the elements while loading or unloading, those suitcases will get wet. Yesterday a 10 minute shower dropped enough rain to soak my outdoor lounge cushions and leave a puddle on top.

It happens..... rule of thumb is to pack your own stuff in waterproof stuff, like ziplocs, and plastic inside your bags to protect things. And I have ugly suitcases b/c they always get wet and beat up while traveling checked. (Or I don't check bags anymore but that's another story)

There wasn't a thunderstorm (or any rain) the day we traveled home. I have no idea how our suitcases got so wet. The idea of water spilling in someone else's suitcase makes sense, but I don't know why anyone would bring a bunch of water home from Disney? I guess if they had purchased a whole lot more than they actually drank...but why buy so much water in the first place?

They sell jumbo (used to be called "XXL") ziploc bags that can help with that too. One is enough for all the clothes in a suitcase.
Space Bags would be great for that as well, and would also help save space.

I believe they can also get wet on the plane because the cargo hold is generally cold that high up in the air and when landing in humid locations, condensation can form.
True but I spent a lot of time flying in and out of Nola with no issues. And that is as humid if not more humid than Orlando

I always pack everything in either clear trash bags or Ziploc bags. I tried the really huge Ziploc bags, but they had a strong plastic smell which bothered my allergies. If you are thinking of using these and have allergies, I suggest buying them in advance and checking it out in case you need to have a Plan B.

My suitcase has a pocket on the inside of the top; I spread out a plastic trash bag in there, too, thinking it might possibly keep more water out.

I do not take Magic Express. The outside of my suitcase was wet when I got home from the last trip, and it was not raining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter