• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What’s all the fuss over candy canes? Please enlighten me…

Tinkaboo

DIS Veteran
Every Christmas when we are at the park, I see the lines of people who are waiting for their candy canes. For the life of me, I cannot comprehend what the attraction is. Never mind the outrageous price. In Denver, we have a local candy maker called Hammond’s (well, they distribute all over the region now ) but I don’t care for theirs either.

What is the consistency of Disney’s canes - hard or soft like Bob’s? Strong peppermint flavor? How big are they? The ones I’ve seen people carrying look to be about ten inches.

I will be there two of the days they are available…convince me they are worth it!

If you tell people that there is a limited amount per day you can sell anything.

They are good hand pulled candy cane but you can get better elsewhere. They are better than your standard supermarket canes but I have tried the Hammonds candy canes and they are just as good or better.

It’s all about the hype and exclusivity now. Remember the rose gold ears hype? Now that they are plentiful no one cares. If these were available in large quantities it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

We waited in line one year and got them. I agree they are good, hand-pulled candy canes but I don't think I'll wait to get them again. It is really fun to watch them be made too.

There is definitely a FOMO aspect, but I also think that people find it fun to do things that only come around at the holidays. It becomes part of a tradition of sorts. My sister loves those candy canes, and we always try and get one when we're there in Dec. I got one the first few years we knew about it, but not since. First, they're gigantic. I can't eat that much peppermint quickly enough to have it while it's good, which is the second point. They're great that first day, right off the cane rack, but they quickly lose that freshness and taste pretty much like any other candy cane within a day or so. Still, my sister loves the tradition of going for the cane, and I have to admit that I enjoy it too. It's not about the candy canes themselves but how much we enjoy participating in the tradition.

I got one once. It was like those soft melts mints you get at old school restaurants.

I’m told this isn’t how they usually are and mine was defective. Needless to say, I will not be attempting another one. Not worth the effort. At best it’s a giant candy cane.

I got one once. It was like those soft melts mints you get at old school restaurants.

I’m told this isn’t how they usually are and mine was defective. Needless to say, I will not be attempting another one. Not worth the effort. At best it’s a giant candy cane.
That actually sounds really good to me! I was all excited until you said it was defective. 😆

Regular candy canes. Meh. 🤷‍♀️

100% about the FOMO. I like to watch them make the candy canes, but would never go through the current hassle to get one.

We got the Disneyland candy canes once, and were super disappointed. We think the handmade candy canes from Logan's Candies in Ontario are much better. But to be fair I've been getting those for 40+ years!

That actually sounds really good to me! I was all excited until you said it was defective. 😆

Regular candy canes. Meh. 🤷‍♀️
I'm with you. I'd far rather have the soft version than some gross "regular" type candy cane (sorry, not a big fan and don't understand why anyone would be that stoked over a candy cane).

Totally agree with the tradition for a lot of people. I also think all the influencers and "content creators" are creating a false sense of importance to some things. Like do you really need a $15 candy cane for a "cute" DL pic? (Sorry not sorry, I am over the influencer overload in the parks. Its the one thing that drives me nutty theses days.)

That said, I would enjoy watching them make the candy canes, as I enjoy watching them make just about anything! ;)

No....but guilty admission to taking one. Sis and I put our candy canes together to make a heart and a CM took our picture.
Oh my beef isn’t about this, I would even take the picture for you (and actually have for others!) Lol

It’s the ones who are *just* doing it and fabricating/hyping things for the ‘gram. Guests living it up creating their own fun (in their rose gold ears) all for it! Clearly I have issues. 🤣

Oh my beef isn’t about this, I would even take the picture for you (and actually have for others!) Lol

It’s the ones who are *just* doing it and fabricating/hyping things for the ‘gram. Guests living it up creating their own fun (in their rose gold ears) all for it! Clearly I have issues. 🤣
Oh no, I TOTALLY agree with you! But I'm old, so there's that. I don't really care about what people post on whatever the vlog-du-jour might be.

I’ve always enjoyed watching them make them, and will try and live-stream it at least once. There was a cast member who had been doing it for years (he’s since passed away) and he and another cast member came out to talk to me and explain the process. He had a little bottle of peppermint that cost $80, and it was super strong. It’s fun watching them spread the candy onto a cooling table once it’s been boiling, and then folding it over and over. It gets thicker as they do that, then they partition some out for red and some for green. The rest is eventually thrown over this large hook on the wall and pulled over and over again, turning white in the process.

It’s fun watching them roll it out into a long “rope” then twisting the red and green ropy candy, cutting, and forming the canes. I’ve only got them one time and ended sending it to a Diser. Think I had two - took one on a DIS cruise, and gave it away, and then sent one by mail… I’ve been meaning to get one and put it on my tree - just need to keep it from breaking if I do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter