What’s on your Christmas menu?

For breakfast we will have a french toast bake that my daughter brought home from work, with bacon and coffee. For snacks we will have chips and dip and shrimp cocktail. For lunch/dinner the boys will have roast turkey with stuffing. I am also making a prime rib and crock pot mashed potatoes (my first time). No dessert.

This year we are having:

- a spiral sliced ham
- hash brown casserole
- broccoli casserole
- pecan pie
- apple pie

and a few minor snacks/candies before. We too are making some deliveries to family members. I asked DW if it was "wrong" to have two different casseroles and not at least one healthy side dish.

She saw no problem.

I will be on the prowl, however, on the day AFTER Christmas for marked down turkeys (fresh preferred) and if I score I'll do a big turkey dinner thing again for New Years Day.

Bama Ed

On Christmas Eve, we're making holiday cookies with our little ones and eating savory crabmeat cheesecake, duck potpie, turtle soup, gumbo, and homemade eggnog. For Christmas, my mom is sleeping over so she can see the kiddos open their gifts and we're eating a yummy Walmart Marketside breakfast pizza with leftover crabmeat cheesecake and mimosas. For Christmas lunch, we're eating turkey, ham, sweet potato casserole, Italian meat "dressing," creamed spinach, artichoke casserole, mashed potatoes, petit pois, and "rice whiskey treats." I keep trying to convince my sweet mom that we don't need a huge smorgasbord since we aren't hosting our usual 50-family-member gathering, but she said the holidays won't feel right without her favorite indulgences. For New Years Eve, we're spending the weekend on the Gulf Coast at the beach and I'm making cabbage and black eyes peas.
**Rice whiskey treat recipe: https://www.foodnetwork.com/kitchen...-treats-_a1fa5394-c869-426b-b720-d39ea3f8589f

Last edited:
We do traditional fare for Thanksgiving (Turkey, ham, American vegetables (corn, potatoes, beans,stuffing)). In normal years, both sides of the family came to our house for Thanksgiving. Several years ago we started making lasagna for Christmas and it was just my family. This year we will likely do the same lasagna and it will just be DW, DS and me.

j

My FIL is on his way to Atlanta as I type. Guessing he will be here in about 2 hours. for Xmas eve, it will be the three humans and two dogs. Humans are having pork tenderloin and steamed veggies. Not sure on dessert probably cookies. Then the crew will head to my folks for dinner on Xmas. My brother is cooking a rib roast, mom is doing jello and mashed potatoes, bert is doing Brussel sprouts and broccoli casserole and Herb is making pies, I believe custard, french silk and maybe pecan.

Bert is doing Brussel sprouts

giphy.gif

If they are anything like his asparagus, I would eat them. Ed

My FIL is on his way to Atlanta as I type. Guessing he will be here in about 2 hours. for Xmas eve, it will be the three humans and two dogs. Humans are having pork tenderloin and steamed veggies. Not sure on dessert probably cookies. Then the crew will head to my folks for dinner on Xmas. My brother is cooking a rib roast, mom is doing jello and mashed potatoes, bert is doing Brussel sprouts and broccoli casserole and Herb is making pies, I believe custard, french silk and maybe pecan.
What time are we eating? If my math is right, I get couple hours sleep, leave here at 2am, be at your place 2pm :rotfl2:

We will be having Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve (today) as I work tomorrow. On the menu is roast turkey, many different vegetables, dressing( stuffing), fresh rolls. Dessert will be assorted pies including blueberry, pumpkin and rhubarb. There may also be a Trueman’s Blueberry Farm homemade ice cream cake. Hope I will be able to move tomorrow. Merry Christmas to all!

Dessert will be assorted pies including blueberry, pumpkin and rhubarb. There may also be a Trueman’s Blueberry Farm homemade ice cream cake.

I hear those are the best, Boomer1. :rockband:

Merry Christmas back!

Bama Ed

PS - As a former Ohio resident, I miss having fresh rhubarb pie multiple times a year

I am the "Christmas hostess," for our family, but this COVID filled year has squashed my title. My sisters and I are going to host our own family units and do a Zooming Fun Christmas instead. On the plus side, since I am not cooking for 27 people, I mixed things up a bit (total number at our house-a measly 4).

steak tips smothered in garlic and butter
my oh-so-special broccoli salad
cob bread filled with cheese sauce
a baked brownie with ice cream, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream (my husband's suggestion)

Hang on, I'm googling this...

I did too, tiggerdad, and although I love me some cheesecake, crab meat is not something I would consider.

But hey, if it's on the menu at the Palace Cafe in NOLA on Canal Street, I'd be willing to try it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/palace-cafe-crabmeat-cheesecake-recipe-1945282

That sounds like a true local choice for you, NOLA_Tink!

Ed

PS - used to LOVE :love: eating at the Palace Cafe when I travelled to NOLA on business. On expense account. Had to take a customer, though, because prices were higher than the employee per diem but someone was always willing to join me at the Palace.

I did too, tiggerdad, and although I love me some cheesecake, crab meat is not something I would consider.

But hey, if it's on the menu at the Palace Cafe in NOLA on Canal Street, I'd be willing to try it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/palace-cafe-crabmeat-cheesecake-recipe-1945282

That sounds like a true local choice for you, NOLA_Tink!

Ed

PS - used to LOVE :love: eating at the Palace Cafe when I travelled to NOLA on business. On expense account. Had to take a customer, though, because prices were higher than the employee per diem but someone was always willing to join me at the Palace.

I had never been, but last year I was attending an instructional class staying at JW Marriott across Canal Street. I snuck over there instead of eating at hotel, and the folks who were doing the education covered it.

I will certainly go back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter