What are your favorite books?

lttlmc3

You can ship it, I'll still eat it!
Just thought it would be an interesting thing to ask.

of all things... I listened to "Marley and Me" on my drive back from Orlando... great book if you are a dog lover, but gut wrenching and heart breaking in parts. You'll bawl.

My favorite book is The Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving.

That being said....I just finished Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.

I loved both. Was actually a bit depressed that there was not another one to start right away.

I thought they were AWESOME reads.

Kevin

of all things... I listened to "Marley and Me" on my drive back from Orlando... great book if you are a dog lover, but gut wrenching and heart breaking in parts. You'll bawl.

Loved that book, he works for the Philadelphia Inquirer which is local for me.

My favorite books are the Harry Potter Novels or the origional Jaws novel.

my favorites would have to be harry potter 1-7 they to me seem to have that quality that disney has it just captivates me!!!!

I am just a big kid all the way around:confused3

John Irving is my FAVORITE author! I love all of his books. He has such an interesting way of writing. Have you read A Prayer For Owen Meany? It's an amazing book.

I love to read. Right now I am reading the Doctor's Wife. Not too far into it, though.

I read alot...Disney and reading, just about my 2 favorite things, so picking one favorite book would be like trying to pick one favorite park, which I can't do either! I read alot of different genres.

I have a favorite series by Jasper Fforde. The first one is called The Eeyre Affair. About a "literary agent" named Tuesday who enters the book Jane Eeyre. Sounds weird I know and it isn't my usual style, but I ended up loving the whole series. Very imaginative and unique concept.

I also love mysteries and a particular favorite is Harlan Coben, he writes a series about a sports agent/private eye named Myron Bolitar which I have read over and over and he also writes stand alone mysteries seperate from his series that I can never put down. If you are looking for a page turner, try Gone for Good by Harlan Coben, I read it in one sitting.

And then there is Fannie Flagg. I loved, loved, loved Can't Wait to Get to Heaven and Standing in the Rainbow. These are two books I pull out when I'm feeling a little down and need to escape for awhile.

I also love mysteries and a particular favorite is Harlan Coben, he writes a series about a sports agent/private eye named Myron Bolitar which I have read over and over and he also writes stand alone mysteries seperate from his series that I can never put down. If you are looking for a page turner, try Gone for Good by Harlan Coben, I read it in one sitting.

I like his books too. Gone for Good was my favorite.

I love anything by Agatha Christie, and have enjoyed Sue Grafton's alphabet series and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. In the last couple of years, i have been reading (well actually listening to) Bill Bryson's books. A Walk In The Woods is terrific and I am so glad I stumbled on the audiobooks because it adds a totally different dimension to hear him narrate.

In light reading, I like the Goldie mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson - Goldie is a caterer who solves mysteries and also throws in a lot of details and recipes about the events and food she is catering.

My all time favorite books, though, are mostly children's books. Anything by Shel Silverstein, Charlotte's Web, The Tale of Desperaux, Pat the Bunny, Make Way for Ducklings, Tiki Tiki Tembo, The Little House on the Prairie series. I have really enjoyed introducing them to my children!

--Daneen

I used to read a lot, but after having 2 kids in 3 years (not to mention the other two I already had and my step-daughter), I have little to no time to read.

My favorite books are:

Bridget Jones' Diary
Conversations with a Fat Girl
To Kill a Mockingbird
Any Disney Planning Book

Besides the Harry Potter series, I really enjoy reading biographies and other non-fiction writing (that includes every Disney guide book, like maizie!) :)

That being said....I just finished Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.

I loved both. Was actually a bit depressed that there was not another one to start right away.

I thought they were AWESOME reads.

Kevin

Just got DD Pillars of the Earth. I am reading A New Earth myself. I JUST LOVE that head stuff for some reason :confused3

I love, love, love, She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb. He also wrote, I Know This Much Is True.

One that I read about once a year is A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Knight Smith. Also World According To Garp (which put me off naming any of my children Walt even though I really wanted to, I couldn't jinx my youngest.), Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell (she also was the voice of Violet in the Incredibles but is a frequent contributer to my fav NPR show This American Life), Wicked by Gregory Maguire, and The Harry Potter series (I still read them over and over).

I loved this book but it isn't my fave cuz of the ending :sad: Interestingly it gave me closure on my beloved lab's passing...21 years later.

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn by Betty Knight Smith. Also World According To Garp (which put me off naming any of my children Walt even though I really wanted to, I couldn't jinx my youngest.),

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and World According to Garp - two great books tho the former might not quite make my fave list. :goodvibes

Like many others, the HP series :wizard: - have to see the movies as soon as they come out in IMAX and yes, I'm one of the ones at the midnite releases! :rotfl2:

Other faves:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom
Kiterunner, Khaled Hosseini

Just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini; doesn't make my fave list.

Currently reading:
Age of Turbulence, Alan Greenspan
Don't Get Too Comfortable, David Rakoff

lttlmc3, what are some of your faves?

cheers,
:flower3:

I love anything by Agatha Christie,
In light reading, I like the Goldie mysteries by Diane Mott Davidson - Goldie is a caterer who solves mysteries and also throws in a lot of details and recipes about the events and food she is catering.

--Daneen

:thumbsup2 I have been an Agatha Christie fan as long as I have been able to read ( which was just last week ;) ) . I also enjoy Diana Mott Davidson and I am a huge fan of Rex Stout ( he writes the Nero Wolfe mysteries ).

I just finished a book my Douglas Adams , he is most famous for The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, called Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. And if you are looking for the meaning to life you just might find it in that book , or maybe not but it's a good read either way.

And I just devoured The annotated Pride and Prejudice :love: I love the book and having the extra notes to go with it was great. One of my favorite love stories ever!

Now I am going to read the Mary Poppins series by P. L. Travers . I love the movie and when I saw the set of books in a used book store I had to have them. As you can see my taste in books is all over the place ;)

If you guys like Diane Mott Davidson, try Jerrilyn Farmer, she writes a series about a caterer named Madelyn Bean that's really good. :)

I just got Spinning Disney by Charles Ridgeway last week, so that's next on my on my reading list. I really enjoy biographies/autobiographies.

My all time favourite book is a Huge "The Art of Walt Disney" I can't help myself dipping into it everytime I see it. Has anyone else read this?:magnify:

If you guys like Diane Mott Davidson, try Jerrilyn Farmer, she writes a series about a caterer named Madelyn Bean that's really good. :)

I just got Spinning Disney by Charles Ridgeway last week, so that's next on my on my reading list. I really enjoy biographies/autobiographies.

I will put her on my list of authors to check next time I'm at the bookstore :thumbsup2 Thanks!

I would love to know what you think about Spinning Disney after you read it , it has been on my Amazon wishlist for awhile now.

Almost anything by P.G. Wodehouse, but in particular the Jeeves and Wooster stories. The deftness of wit he employs is sometimes astonishing. I will re-read passages just to make myself laugh again. An example:

Describing a vicar who had apparently lost money that he had borrowed from a parishoner at the gaming tables: "He looked like a sheep with a secret sorrow."

Start with "My Man Jeeves" and keep going. They get better and better.

The Thornbirds
The Namesake
Angela's Ashes
Water for Elephants
Seabiscuit
The Lovely Bones
Reading Lolita in Tehran
Almost anything by John Grisham

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter