• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What did you bake today ? OK if not from scratch

I did a pistachio loaf cake with a ribbon of cinnamon sugar running through. I tried this recipe once before but it came out of the oven too early and was ruined. I did think it had potential though and since I still had 1/2 a bag of expensive honey-roasted pistachios, I decided to give it another (much more careful) go.

Mini key lime pies.

I found condensed milk in a squeeze bottle. Game. Changer. Now I can make individual servings of key lime pie rather than having to open a whole can every time for a whole pie. I used Keebler mini Graham shells. I always have Nellie and Joe's Key West lime juice on hand for cocktails, so it was super easy. I just cut my recipe down to 1/4 and it was the perfect amount for 2 mini pies.

Last edited:
I did a pistachio loaf cake with a ribbon of cinnamon sugar running through. I tried this recipe once before but it came out of the oven too early and was ruined. I did think it had potential though and since I still had 1/2 a bag of expensive honey-roasted pistachios, I decided to give it another (much more careful) go.
How did it turn out this time? The honey-roasted pistachios sound yummy!

How did it turn out this time? The honey-roasted pistachios sound yummy!
:goodvibes Better - thanks for asking. I actually split the recipe (linked below) into two smaller loaf pans and baked it for an hour. At this altitude time and temp recommendations aren't always perfect and a first failed attempted when doing something new isn't a rare occurrence. I added 1 cup of nuts, lightly crushed, and a bit of almond extract to pump up the flavour a little, which it nicely accomplishes.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pistachio-quick-bread/

Now all I need to do is figure out who to give it to, at least the second loaf. I have a very vexing family who are stubbornly indifferent to home baking.

:goodvibes Better - thanks for asking. I actually split the recipe (linked below) into two smaller loaf pans and baked it for an hour. At this altitude time and temp recommendations aren't always perfect and a first failed attempted when doing something new isn't a rare occurrence. I added 1 cup of nuts, lightly crushed, and a bit of almond extract to pump up the flavour a little, which it nicely accomplishes.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pistachio-quick-bread/

Now all I need to do is figure out who to give it to, at least the second loaf. I have a very vexing family who are stubbornly indifferent to home baking.
I think baking for a hour was a good guess. Looking over the recipe, I think the written baking time might be a typo. There is so much moisture in that batter, I would have given at least a baking time of 50-60 minutes. Does your pastor's wife accept baked gifts/donations? Our pastors' wives are always happy to get baked goods for the freezer. Then they always have something ready when they have to host a visit or counseling session. Now that the restrictions are finally starting to lift in your area, maybe you'll be able to gift your lovely baked goods in more church related areas?

I think baking for a hour was a good guess. Looking over the recipe, I think the written baking time might be a typo. There is so much moisture in that batter, I would have given at least a baking time of 50-60 minutes. Does your pastor's wife accept baked gifts/donations? Our pastors' wives are always happy to get baked goods for the freezer. Then they always have something ready when they have to host a visit or counseling session. Now that the restrictions are finally starting to lift in your area, maybe you'll be able to gift your lovely baked goods in more church related areas?
A lovely idea; our church is called Calvary Chapel and is fondly known as Calorie Chapel for how much food gets provided to the leadership and people in need. :goodvibes Church activities are still very limited; extremely low occupancy at services and no other in-person ministry of any kind.

Our restrictions haven't eased enough that we can meet for any social interactions at all, or eat together with anyone outside our own households, unfortunately. Food sharing is also prohibited at my workplace or for sure it would go to good use there. Not to worry though - we're all getting pretty good at the fine-art of porch-dropping! :wave2:

... Not to worry though - we're all getting pretty good at the fine-art of porch-dropping! :wave2:
One of our older neighbors (with a keen sweet tooth) has been in almost total isolation since 2019 (rare cancer and experimental treatment), so we've gotten pretty skilled at the dropping-the-goodies-on-the-porch (or hanging them from the door so the cats don't get them) game, too. :)

Baking alot lately. Last night baked Pot Roast with Carrots 60%, potatoes 20%, celery and onion 10%... the carrots always come out insanely good and we fist fight over them lol.

Earlier made a quick batch of Maple Chili Pumpkin Seeds.

Today added a pint of blueberries to a box of Jiffy BB Muffin mix. Also added a healthy tbs Sour Cream and tsp sugar, went a bit lite on the 1/4c milk and put them in a 24ct mini muffin pan. Decadent! 8 minutes at 375f with convection. Wasn't sure how they'd come out with all the changes. They came out serious 😋

We made 2 pans of meatballs today. Family loved them. I did them in the oven (so, baked) and then had linguini with a tomato sauce. I used a bit of stewing beef in the sauce for meat flavouring. Very nice for a change.

This reminds me I really want to make Pioneer Woman's BBQ meatballs again. They are so good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter