What do you like about your boss/workplace and what do you dislike?

While I have plenty of things I dislike about my boss…

I have some personal situations going on right now. My husband is being treated for cancer (daily chemo and radiation for 6 weeks), and last week, my mom unexpectedly passed away, so I needed a day off as well, when I went to visit her the day she passed.

My boss has been great in the midst of all of this. In addition, the company has policies in place to support my role as a caregiver, Loss of a parent is 5 days bereavement leave.

So, in my first time in my working career (I’m 62, so I’ve had numerous jobs and bosses), I am glad I’m working at my current job, with my current boss. There is no other company I’ve worked for that would be as great as where I am now.

I in general love the company I am working for!

I am leaving my old position and will be in a different role within the same company, so I have yet to see what this new supervisor will be like. As far as the current situation, well the negatives outweigh the positives, that's why I am moving to a different department. But the current situation can be described as follows:

The good: (workplace) my cubicle is next to a window. (supervisor) is gone a lot.

The bad: (workplace) sharing printers too much and we work on crappy equipment. It is so frustrating to have to scan things and stuff is jamming, or taking forever to arrive in your email.

(supervisor) Kind of follows the motto "Rules for Thee but not for me"/"Do as I say, not as I do". She and her "bestie" pretty much come and go as they please, they say and do whatever the want. Our department has become a "Mean Girls" culture. They have been successful in running off many people over the years. About a year ago I brought my concerns about this kind of stuff to the supervisor over mine, only to be scolded for "jumping the chain of command". I was told, "if you have a problem, you bring it up to your immediate supervisor". When your immediate supervisor IS party of the bullying, well that's a dead end. I brought up the bullying behavior again to the supervisor over mine again a few months ago. She acknowledged that she was aware of some issues and behavior and would blah blah blah... Yea NOTHING has changed. That's why I applied for every internal position I could find until I landed something. I guess the consolation prize for them running me off is that the new position comes with a nice increase in pay.

My whole department in a Global Fortune 500 company received notice earlier this year that our positions will be transitioned to a third party company in India this summer. So, not really happy with that. I have really loved working for this company, like no other company I have ever worked for.

Now for the good and the bad in the current transitioning situation:

The Good:
Management is providing lots of support for resume writing, updating LinkedIn profiles, holding weekly classes with tips and tricks for the job search ahead. They are super flexible with schedules and allowing time off to take care of medical needs while we all still have insurance. They will allow us to go to interviews while on paid company time too.

The Bad:
As far as the daily work goes, management has checked out. They are mostly unavailable to answer questions and/or concerns, we are left to our own devices most of the time. This has had a major impact on morale. Everyone feels like management has checked out already, so why should we care?

That’s a loaded question. I answer to the President so I have to be careful…. They’re the best of course! I’m able to work totally independently -and at this point in life(60) I appreciate it. That’s the good. The downside is the business is starting to move with the addition of younger people and their ideas, rather than my own. And understandably, it’s going to be their ship in a few years so it makes perfect sense -I just have to bite my lip more often 🤷🏻

I am the boss so there's that.
I work from home so the commute is pretty good.
The only thing I don't like is I want to be retired.

• Love
Reactions: GAN
I am extremely happy in my current position. I love the work and love the people. If I have to say what I specifically love the most is that I am appreciated and they are not shy about telling me. I brought a lot of relevant experience to the position and they recognize that.

The only negative (and it is not really a negative) is that I have a less than common first name and have gone most of my life only hearing it occasionally and never working with anyone with the same name. My direct supervisor (whom I LOVE) and I share the same first name. I wouldn't mind if they had me go by my last name but there is already someone here with that name and he is referred to by his last name.

I love my job overall. The upper mangement, owners, and atmosphere are all fantastic. My immediate supervisor is......a little difficult.

She has a tendency to play favorites with the staff and her communication skills are absolutely terrible. For example, there are two of us who are, or were, essentially her assistants. We could run the department without her. She has all but named my coworker as her successor which...is fine. I'm learning to be ok with that. The problem is that leaves me being little more than a warm body in the office, not really doing much. So on my day off, my coworker and my boss will make changes to policies or procedures and such but nobody thinks to tell me until I start doing whatever it is the way we have been and am then told I'm doing it wrong. Or I will ask a question or offer an opinion on something (after having been asked for it) and halfway through my statement I get interrupted and told I'm wrong even though I usually am not, she just doesn't know that because I couldn't finish my statement.

I'm at the point where I know she only has a few years left before she retires and it's a seasonal job anyway so I'm trying to wait her out.

My current boss is great to work for. He is new in this position and he asks for and respects my opinion on things.

What I don’t like is the way they are handling the post pandemic return to office. I understand that a lot of people didn’t have the option to work from home the last few years, but we did. The problem is that they remodeled the building during that time and reduced the number of workstations with the plan to make it a hybrid office. For return to office they are making us all come in on the same days even though there aren’t enough workspaces. It is a free for all with people trying to find open workspaces and sitting at cafeteria tables when they can’t find a space. We are having some financial problems, so it is a thinly veiled attempt to make our lives miserable so people quit to reduce headcount.

I like meeting guests from different places and returning guests as well as most people I work with.

Dislike: my boss. So many reasons. I think my company wanted a warm body to fill her position because they equated supervisor equals manager because she wasn’t a manager in her previous experience.
She had an assistant and they just moved 2 steps above her so now she is really lost because they did a lot of her work for her.
And she does things like this (this was my yesterday) a coworker thought I knew I would be working my day off because our boss told her. Except one small detail: she had days to come to me or contact me but chose not to.
She called me on my phone but including answer at the moment so instead of texts me or leaving a voicemail because there are a couple of us with same name and she misdials. She calls her boss to call me to relay a message and I was like she need to leave a voicemail or text because just because you call me doesn’t always mean you meant to call me.
So I call her back and told her why i didn’t answer phone at the moment but she could have texted or left a message in the time it took her to call her boss to call me. She says she will see me in about an hour .
She gets to our property and then tells me illl be working my day off . She admits to knowing the possible change ahead of time . I say well I’ve been really flexible in the past but I’m going out of town and my trip isn’t refundable. It’s always p poor planning with her. And lack of communication skills.
She was upset but not much she can do.
I had to do a report end of my shift and I emailed her and her boss(because my boss is also a big ol liar) even with small stuff or stuff that can be easily proved) about I’m sorry I couldn’t accommodate at last minute even though I’ve been very flexible in the past last minute.
She also will talk about her other employees even when she had an assistant who was above me and it’s one thing to talk about the workers if they are having a problem to let the leads know but not talk to one lead about another . I told other leads don’t come to me about what she has said about me to them because it only fuels the unprofessional that she has and we know she wants to cause dissension.

Last edited:
I love that my boss is supportive and trusts me to do my job. There is not much I dislike. I work at a University. Meetings and having to pay almost $500 per year to park to go to work are at the top of my short list of dislikes, but that's life. Suck it up, Buttercup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter