What does it look like at Universal now with the new masking policy?

This is what we saw:

We were there for 5 nights, from May 26 -31. The no mask policy took effect on Saturday. There were still some people with masks on, but most did not wear them.

The first few days, when the indoor mask policy was still in effect, about 50-60 percent of the people wore them below their nose or chin. The staff did their best but people ignored them or just pulled them down in line as soon as the employees were out of sight. There was zero social distancing in place.

The parks were crowded but manageable (we had Express Pass). Still, if you are on the fence, this is something for you to consider. Wearing a mask protects others, but it takes other people wearing one to protect you. We are vaccinated and opted to take our masks off. That is just our family--do what works best for you.

With all of that, we HAD A BLAST! Our tween and teen have said that Universal is better than Disney. The staff was very friendly, the parks were clean, and the rides were amazing! One thing we did notice is that Universal was a bit short staffed. Some of the food lines were not open, which resulted in very long lines during peak hours. They are doing their best, and it is not the fault of the staff. Most people were very patient and gracious.

We did skip Volcano Bay because my kids could not get enough--we spent all four ticket days in the park. Portofino Bay was lovely.

Tip: If you want a butterbeer, you do not have to stand in the very long lines outside. Order from Hogsmeade or the Three Broomsticks through mobile ordering. If you order drinks only, they will send you to a counter to pick up your Butterbeer right away! (There is a debate in our family, hot vs cold, but I digress).

Eh I mean I pull my down under my chin while walking around in the open not around others for ease to pull back up when I am in crowded areas without having to take it all the way off and back on. I am fully vaxed but my youngest isn't, so I wear to protect her.
You’ve been wearing your mask inside your own house since you got vaxxed for your youngest?!?
That’s some serious dedication!

We just spent 2 days at Universal. If you would be uncomfortable in crowds without masks, do not go. They’re filling in all seats, and almost no one is wearing masks. They’re mashing up parties from different families as well. Kids and I had a blast. Velocicoaster is INTENSE! It was super fun, but man was it intense. We’re now at WDW, and we almost forgot to put our masks on before we came into the hotel. Whoops!

(I've got a Portofino/Ritz long weekend booked June 17-21 so will report back hopefully)

We just spent 2 days at Universal. If you would be uncomfortable in crowds without masks, do not go. They’re filling in all seats, and almost no one is wearing masks. They’re mashing up parties from different families as well. Kids and I had a blast. Velocicoaster is INTENSE! It was super fun, but man was it intense. We’re now at WDW, and we almost forgot to put our masks on before we came into the hotel. Whoops!

Yep. We were there Sunday and Monday, and can confirm that crowds were high (Sunday, especially), masks were few and far between, and every seat on rides were filled.

Velocicoaster is, indeed, extremely intense, but a very well done ride. We rode it twice Sunday, and once Monday.

Hagrid's virtual line is complete bs. We never got to ride a single time in two days, although we were online when the "drops" happened. On a couple of different occasions, we heard folks around us discussing riding it 2 or 3 different times that day. Disney does a much better job of handling the virtual line (Rise of the Resistance) than Universal does.

Yep. We were there Sunday and Monday, and can confirm that crowds were high (Sunday, especially), masks were few and far between, and every seat on rides were filled.

Velocicoaster is, indeed, extremely intense, but a very well done ride. We rode it twice Sunday, and once Monday.

Hagrid's virtual line is complete bs. We never got to ride a single time in two days, although we were online when the "drops" happened. On a couple of different occasions, we heard folks around us discussing riding it 2 or 3 different times that day. Disney does a much better job of handling the virtual line (Rise of the Resistance) than Universal does.

We enjoyed Velocicoaster as well. It was just really crazy. It makes all the Disney coasters seem tame.

With Hagrid’s, we couldn’t get in the queue on Monday. On Tuesday, it was a standby line and not VQ most of the day, so we were able to ride it. I’m sorry you weren’t able to ride it. That really stinks. :(

I don't like the virtual lines, either. We did get a virtual time, but there were ride delays so we ended up in line for almost two hours. I am not sure how long it would have been without delays, but it was not fun to wait. I usually will wait no longer than 30 minutes for any ride, but YDS asked me to wait so I did. DH and ODS left and used express passes for multiple other rides. I found it was much easier to get in line 45 minutes to park opening and go right at opening, even though we did wait in line for a bit. It was smoother and we were moving quickly, vs sitting on the ground due to delays.

Velocicoaster had virtual lines one day but then stand by other days. I saw the line as short as 45 minutes much of the time, even on Sunday. Much better chance of riding with standby than virtual, imo.

We enjoyed Velocicoaster as well. It was just really crazy. It makes all the Disney coasters seem tame.

With Hagrid’s, we couldn’t get in the queue on Monday. On Tuesday, it was a standby line and not VQ most of the day, so we were able to ride it. I’m sorry you weren’t able to ride it. That really stinks. :(
So maybe you can clarify I thought I read that Hagrids goes virtual if it’s not early park open at IOA correct? We’re going to IOA on 6/9 and it opens at 9. So do I go in app at 9? Does that mean no stand bye line at all? Thanks!

So maybe you can clarify I thought I read that Hagrids goes virtual if it’s not early park open at IOA correct? We’re going to IOA on 6/9 and it opens at 9. So do I go in app at 9? Does that mean no stand bye line at all? Thanks!
Hagrid's may not go virtual at all on a given day, it depends on the crowds/how long the line backs up, etc. It'll start out as stand by only initially. Best shot is to get in line about an hour before park open & ride standby first thing.

Hagrid's may not go virtual at all on a given day, it depends on the crowds/how long the line backs up, etc. It'll start out as stand by only initially. Best shot is to get in line about an hour before park open & ride standby first thing.
OK I wasn’t sure if there was some days that it just goes virtual right away I don’t want to waste the time hustling to the line and then you can’t even do standby? I am planning on us being at the gate to IOA at 8am!

Everyone, let’s not start a debate on whether people should or shouldn’t wear masks. The purpose of this thread is to see what’s going on at Universal since the announcement. I’d like to hear from people over the next couple of days who are there or read about people’s experiences who are there without interjecting personal opinions to the point the thread gets shut down.

We will be there next week, and I'm interested to see myself. But I think just about everywhere, theme parks included, is going by the honor system that non-vaccinated adults will wear masks. We are taking ours with us, although I am fully vaccinated. My 15 year old has only had the first dose and my 11 year old is not eligible. Plus, I'm expecting places HP related to be super crowded. I'll mask up if I feel the need, fully vaccinated or not.

We are here now, been at the parks since Tuesday very few people are wearing masks very few, outside and inside.
Children who we all know can not take the vaccine are all un masked. No social distancing happening, fill in all available space is back in full force. If you plan to come be prepared and ts all pack to normal.

It was over once the CDC and Administration made their announcement. Nobody is going to self police if they aren't vaccinated. I went to a baseball game the following day and babies and kids were there unmasked. Zero people were wearing masks.

We are here now, been at the parks since Tuesday very few people are wearing masks very few, outside and inside.
Children who we all know can not take the vaccine are all un masked. No social distancing happening, fill in all available space is back in full force. If you plan to come be prepared and ts all pack to normal.

Sounds perfect to me!

It was over once the CDC and Administration made their announcement. Nobody is going to self police if they aren't vaccinated. I went to a baseball game the following day and babies and kids were there unmasked. Zero people were wearing masks.

They are only guidelines as is, and many unvaccinated people including kids have had covid and have protection.

We dont want to get this thread locked - so lets try to avoid getting into that side of it and stick to what we are seeing day to day in the parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter