What ever happened to "the wonderful world of disney" on Sunday nights?

Wonderful World of color was a special segment on WWOD. They had a few special segments including ones that related to all the lands they had in DL. It was stil WWOD though.

Wonderful World of color was a special segment on WWOD. They had a few special segments including ones that related to all the lands they had in DL. It was stil WWOD though.

I don't think so. It had it's own opening. Ran in the 60s (whereas the WWoD seems to have been the 70s). Wonderful World of Color was one of the first shows on TV in color, which is why I had to watch it at my great grandmother's house -- what Great Grandma wanted, Great Grandma got -- and she wanted the first color tv in the family when they came out. I can still to this day remember the song -- "The world is a carousel of color . . ." That song wasn't played on WWoD.

Just found this:

"Sept. 24, 1961
Premier of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color," full-hour Sunday series of color TV programs ranging from nature stories to animated cartoons, from tales of adventure to famous classics and musical extravaganzas. (This program, more than any other, sparked the increasing sales of color receivers, and the eventual take-off of color television)."
From http://novia.net/~ereitan/rca-nbc_firsts.html

And there is a whole lot of info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series
1954 -- Show was called Disneyland
"Disney embraced television wholeheartedly, and Disneyland became the first successful TV production created by a movie studio."
1958 -- "In the fall of 1958, the series was re-titled Walt Disney Presents and moved to Friday nights, but by 1960, it switched to Sunday nights, where it would remain for twenty-one years.
1961 -- "The series moved to NBC in September 1961 to take advantage of that network's ability to broadcast in color. . . . In a display of foresight, Disney had filmed many of the earlier shows in color, so they were able to be repeated on NBC. To emphasize the new color feature, the series was re-dubbed Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color and retained that moniker until 1969. The first NBC episode even dealt with the principles of color, as explained by a new character named Ludwig Von Drake (voiced by Paul Frees), a bumbling professor and uncle of Donald Duck. Von Drake was the first Disney character created specifically for television."
1969 -- Wonderful World of Color was RETITLED -- "The series, retitled The Wonderful World of Disney in September 1969, continued to get solid ratings, often in the Top 20, until the mid-1970s."

That will be all for your lesson today. Class will resume tomorrow promptly at 9:00.

Yes! And there was a couple that always danced, and my sister and I loved them. I think the guy was Bobby. Can't remember the girls named.

Her name was Sissy! But a wonderful piece of Trivia for you, Bobby was one of the original Mouseketeers on the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette. Look it up, I remember as a kid my mom telling me that story.

Her name was Sissy! But a wonderful piece of Trivia for you, Bobby was one of the original Mouseketeers on the Mickey Mouse Club with Annette. Look it up, I remember as a kid my mom telling me that story.

YES!!! I can't believe I forgot that, because my sister and I used to laugh at her name. :lmao: And I think my mom told me about Bobby too, now that you mention it. My sister wanted to grow up and dance on Lawrence Welk...she is now an Accountant! :rolleyes1

I loved WWOD but how many of you were traumatized like I was by that stupid show "60 minutes" ?

my father insisted on watching that dumb(to me at the time) show and it would ruin my disney night.
He had a tv in his bedroom, but do you think he would go there and watch...no. Could I watch my show there...no

I still have bitter thoughts over that. So, it was only by luck or grace I go to watch my beloved show and I always had to hope it wouldnt be an extra long one(like a full movie) because I wasnt allowed to stay up late(usually) and watch it. The only exception was when they played like Mary Poppins type special movies, sometimes Mom would cave and let me watch the whole movie

I dont reacll all the things on the show, but I do recall watching it and loving it.
I also enjoyed Mutual of Omaha wild Kingdom and as a funny side note, it wasnt until last year I realized they even had a zoo!! Never crossed my mind that Omaha NE was any relation to Mutual of Omaha..btw it is a nice zoo to visit!!

I also agree they should have a Disney Classics channel and re run all of that and all the old Micky Mouse Club shows. Many of us would force our kids to watch it..far better than some of that trash they get to see now

I loved WWOD but how many of you were traumatized like I was by that stupid show "60 minutes" ?

my father insisted on watching that dumb(to me at the time) show and it would ruin my disney night.
He had a tv in his bedroom, but do you think he would go there and watch...no. Could I watch my show there...no

I still have bitter thoughts over that. So, it was only by luck or grace I go to watch my beloved show and I always had to hope it wouldnt be an extra long one(like a full movie) because I wasnt allowed to stay up late(usually) and watch it. The only exception was when they played like Mary Poppins type special movies, sometimes Mom would cave and let me watch the whole movie

I dont reacll all the things on the show, but I do recall watching it and loving it.
I also enjoyed Mutual of Omaha wild Kingdom and as a funny side note, it wasnt until last year I realized they even had a zoo!! Never crossed my mind that Omaha NE was any relation to Mutual of Omaha..btw it is a nice zoo to visit!!

I also agree they should have a Disney Classics channel and re run all of that and all the old Micky Mouse Club shows. Many of us would force our kids to watch it..far better than some of that trash they get to see now

YES! As a kid I never saw the edning to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or Sound of Music because I always had to go to bed. It wasn't till I was a teen that I got see shows like that all the way through.

Maybe we should start a "bring it back" petition!!:thumbsup2

I agree with the PP about the Muppets too! My kids were laughing so hard at the Muppets on Extreme Makeover last week-and we love Muppetvision at DHS!!

Just found this:

"Sept. 24, 1961
Premier of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color,"

I remember watching "Wonderful World of Color" too (I was humming the theme music while reading this thread), but I hadn't realized that the show premiered exactly two days before I did! (Now that's LITERALLY dating myself!)

A bring it back petition would be perfect! Our kids are pretty much the only ones around here who don't know who the Griffins (Family Guy) or the Simpsons are! (Of course I watch them when the kids arent around cause I find them hilarious!)

But just saying that it seemed like shows when we were kids were more about family values rather than stupid goofs for cheap laughs. I dont remember the Walt openings that was before my time I guess, but I do remember Michael Eisner who I thought had the coolest job in the world!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter