What happens when you bank your points and your ressie changes?

edk35

DIS Veteran
Our UY is Oct and I did the 100% bank a couple of months ago....so that was done. SO what if I were to change our ressie and it resulted in some points left over and our trip is in Aug. Do I lose those points, can I still bank some or is it too late? Thanks

I ran into a similar problem last year. Not sure when your 50% or 25% banking date is, but MS explained to me that the percentages are of your points. In other words, if you own 100 points and you are at the 50% window you can still bank 50. At the 25% you could bank 25. Hope that helps..

August would be too late to bank. You'd have to bank by the end of July for an Oct UY. And if you couldn't use them or bank them, you would lose them.

If you banked 100% of your Oct 2006 points, then you must be using banked October 2005 points for your August trip, right? You would have to use those points by the last day of Sept. 2007 under any circumstances. They could not be banked a second time.

August would be too late to bank. You'd have to bank by the end of July for an Oct UY. And if you couldn't use them or bank them, you would lose them.
I agree.

Other things to consider:

If the August trip isn't cancelled at least 31 days in advance, the points would go into holding anyway. Holding points can't be banked. They expire at the end of the use year and cannot be used to make a reservation for a stay that will occur more than 60 days in the future.

Since the OP said he already banked points, I would assume that his bank already holds more than 25% of his 2006 allotment. So no more 2006 points could be banked no matter when the August trip is cancelled.

If the trip has to be cancelled, perhaps the OP could rent the reservation to someone else and at least recover something for the points. As already mentioned, the points will be lost if not used before 9/30/2007.

P.S. PamOKW - I interpreted his post to mean that he booked his August trip and banked the remaining 2006 points before the 100% banking window closed. If he is using 2005 banked points, of course you are correct - those points would have to be used by the end of the 2006 use year no matter what.

If you banked 100% of your Oct 2006 points, then you must be using banked October 2005 points for your August trip, right? You would have to use those points by the last day of Sept. 2007 under any circumstances. They could not be banked a second time.

Actually we became members Jan. 07 so we got our 06 points which was 300 and 300 developer points.....100% of each of those could be banked by March 31st this year. So we booked our trip for 9 nights in Aug. staying 5 at SSR and 5 at BWV then I banked the rest. Basically if we cancelled one night of our trip in Aug.....we would have those points to contend with. I was posting to ask if I would lose them or could I bank them now if I cancelled. Thanks

Actually we became members Jan. 07 so we got our 06 points which was 300 and 300 developer points.....100% of each of those could be banked by March 31st this year. So we booked our trip for 9 nights in Aug. staying 5 at SSR and 5 at BWV then I banked the rest. Basically if we cancelled one night of our trip in Aug.....we would have those points to contend with. I was posting to ask if I would lose them or could I bank them now if I cancelled. Thanks
You still haven't given us enough info to answer your question.

When did you bank points? How many developer and 06 points did you bank?

When did you make your ressie, how many points is it, and where did those points come from? Were they developer and/or 06 points used prior to your banking, or were they borrowed points?

How many points will the cancelled night be?

If you can answer those questions, somebody can give you an accurate answer. Without that info, we're all guessing.

You still haven't given us enough info to answer your question.

When did you bank points? How many developer and 06 points did you bank?

When did you make your ressie, how many points is it, and where did those points come from? Were they developer and/or 06 points used prior to your banking, or were they borrowed points?

How many points will the cancelled night be?

If you can answer those questions, somebody can give you an accurate answer. Without that info, we're all guessing.

Okay I banked my points before my 100% window of March 31st of this year. We became members the end of Jan. 07 and we bought 300 and got 300 in developer points. I made our first ressie for this Aug. in Feb. We are using 364 points for this 9 day trip. I was thinking of cancelling our last night at BWV which is 34 points. SO basically they probably used our developer points and then took 64 of out of her 06 UY allottment of 300. SO we banked 236 points. SO I was wondering if I cancelled that last night.....what would happened to those 34 points. I have borrowed no points.....

Does this help?? Thanks

You have already banked more than the 50% that you would be allowed to at this date. So, you would either have to use those points before your use year expires in some way or they would be lost to you.

Bobbi

Okay I banked my points before my 100% window of March 31st of this year. We became members the end of Jan. 07 and we bought 300 and got 300 in developer points. I made our first ressie for this Aug. in Feb. We are using 364 points for this 9 day trip. I was thinking of cancelling our last night at BWV which is 34 points. SO basically they probably used our developer points and then took 64 of out of her 06 UY allottment of 300. SO we banked 236 points. SO I was wondering if I cancelled that last night.....what would happened to those 34 points. I have borrowed no points.....

Does this help?? Thanks
Yes, that helps a lot.

You have banked 236 of your 600 2006 points. Your 50% banking deadline is Saturday, June 30. Therefore, if you bank prior to the end of June, you can bank up to an additional 64 points, which would give you 300 banked = 50%.

So if you cancel prior to the end of June, you could bank the 34 points. I wouldn't wait until the last minute to decide.

After the end of June, however, you are done because you'll be in your 25% banking period and will have already banked more than 25%.

You have already banked more than the 50% that you would be allowed to at this date.
They had 600 points for this UY -- 300 regular and 300 developer points. They haven't banked 50% of 600 yet.

They had 600 points for this UY -- 300 regular and 300 developer points. They haven't banked 50% of 600 yet.

In the members book, it states that the percentages are for the total annual allotment of Vacation points, and I think that's 300 for their contract. Are you sure that the developer points get added for banking purposes?

Bobbi

In the members book, it states that the percentages are for the total annual allotment of Vacation points, and I think that's 300 for their contract. Are you sure that the developer points get added for banking purposes?

Bobbi
I've never run into this before, but it seems to me the developer points would have to be considered that one year. If not, either the developer points or the regular points would be non-bankable...even on the first day of the UY. I don't see how it could be any other way...if, in fact, the developer points are bankable.

This may be one of those cases where the devil is in the details and it will require a call to MS (possibly to a supervisor if you get an adverse answer) to know for sure.

We looked at the developer points vs price discount and our if I remember correctly from December, developer points can not be banked, they had to be used by the end of your use year. You could bank the current yr "regular" points though.

Just in case your stuck with your points, this may help a little.

Last year, we had planned a trip with the inlaws and borrowed points. We then had to postpone the trip from October '06 to April '07, which was in a different UY. Once you borrow points, they can't go back into the original use year.

Long story short, we had close to 30 points that we had to use or lose.

DH and I absolutely loved our 3 day trip after Thanksgiving to Hilton Head! We used one weekend night and one weekday night, and purchased the other weekend night at the discounted DVC rate of $82.00.

Staying three nights at Hilton Head for $82 was fantastic!

There has been mention of a super secret, one time "do over" but we felt like we needed to reserve that for another time since we needed an excuse to go to Savannah/Hilton Head anyway.

Good Luck!

Well our guide told us that we could bank all 600 of our points this year. I asked him twice and then I was on here posting about it. Most here said NO you can't bank developer points...he assured us we could. So I think I will call MS tomorrow. Basically we are staying 9 nights....the last night at BWV we are going to have to move unless the waitlist comes through. We are in BW preferred all but the last night of our 4 nights there. SO I got to thinking ....if we could bank those 34 points....I would and just not stay that 9th night. So that is where all of this stemmed from. Then.....we found out last night that my dh has a good possibility of going to IRAQ for a year departing July 13th....this was out of the blue. SO he told me to stilll take the kids regardless. SO I then posted on another thread about maybe trying to switch out our ressie for June. But that is a whole different post. LOL Thanks everyone.

Denise,

I hope you'll call MS tomorrow and post the results of that contact here. I'd like to know the correct answer, and I'm sure many others would as well.

Denise,

I hope you'll call MS tomorrow and post the results of that contact here. I'd like to know the correct answer, and I'm sure many others would as well.

I will also try and call my guide to for future reference ..for others. I sometimes think "Deals" are different for everyone. My guide said twice YES YOU CAN BANK ALL OF THEM....but people on here said differently and some said their guides said differently. SO I really wonder.

I ran into a similar problem last year. Not sure when your 50% or 25% banking date is, but MS explained to me that the percentages are of your points. In other words, if you own 100 points and you are at the 50% window you can still bank 50. At the 25% you could bank 25. Hope that helps..
It's based on the totals for the year. If you bank 50% early in the year, once you get to the 50% window you could not bank any more points.

Bobbi
Transferred and generally, developer points, fall outside that window. Essentially they are not counted. With transferred points and maybe even with developer points you could potentially bank them up until the last day of the use year. The answer could vary based on who you talk to and the rules could change tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter